The New Raith Rovers Thread

4 hours ago, buchan30 said:

Quick question. Does anyone remember us playing Airdrie at broadwood in the 90s in the cup? I am sure Kirkwood scored a screamer? Can’t seem to find anything about it anywhere. 

Was at this. We were in the side stand. Kirkwood was looking a little chunky and remember the Rovers support serenading him with a chorus of ‘you fat b*****d’ when he scored. 

Kirkwood got stuck as a makeshift RB and occasional LB in those days due to us not bothering to replace McAnespie. It wasn't his position and he was a weak point in the team. 

Funny enough when Jimmy Nic came back he converted him into a sort of Sean Byrne type midfielder who was useful. 

Did have some strike on him though 

Is the deadline for loan signings from other Scottish clubs still the end of February? Seem to remember that used to be the case.

If so, we really shouldn’t be pushing the panic button on signings yet. I think we would all love to see a centre back in for Saturday but if not, we then have 3 weeks until our next league game better to take our time and get the right player in rather than rush and make a mistake. Does look like Ashcroft seems unlikely now though unless Dundee get another centre back in and a few injuries return.

I’d be happy with Rudden in to replace Gullan. I like Gullan, he seems like a really nice guy and has contributed some big moments for us but he has struggled with injuries and I’m still not sure his best position. He’s effectively 4th choice striker as if Hamilton or Vaughan were injured I am sure Murray would play Smith up front instead.

Rudden seems to have a bit more physicality than Gullan so would be a decent option. I can’t see him joining us however as he could be first choice elsewhere (the Pars for example) but I think with us he would be clear second choice behind Vaughan and Hamilton who are starting to develop a good partnership.

I suppose what we offer to loan players that others can't is an opportunity to win a league medal or add a promotion to their CV. 

If you are an experienced player getting loaned out the chance are you will be looking for a new club at some point. What's going to entice them more someone who played a part in a successful promotion or played for a team that finished 7th. 

18 hours ago, mrraith71 said:

Ashcroft and Rudden are imminent but they hardly get a game at Dundee  so 🤷🏽‍♂️

to free up money surely we have to let a few ladies out on loan?

You making assumptions?  lol  Dangerous ground now.....

3 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

Rudden seems to have a bit more physicality than Gullan so would be a decent option. I can’t see him joining us however as he could be first choice elsewhere (the Pars for example) but I think with us he would be clear second choice behind Vaughan and Hamilton who are starting to develop a good partnership.

Yeah the first thing I thought when I seen us both linked was he probably wouldn't be a guaranteed starter, behind Hamilton and Vaughan. Whereas in our team I think he'd be first choice striker if we're playing one through the middle with two wide.

McCann is better coming from wide, Wighton technically is a good footballer but he's not an out and out striker and we've seen enough of Jakubiak now to see he's actually decent, he's not not a guy who's going to be in the box getting goals every week.

I reckon you guys will probably have that wee bit extra coin to put towards him/Dundee and of course looks like he'd be in an exciting title challenge with Dundee Utd, with a better chance of going up through the playoffs than we would. However not a guaranteed starter, behind a couple of fan favourites.

For us, he's worked with McPake before (could be a good thing or a bad thing) as he signed him for Dundee and will likely be the main man in the final third.

I'd say he'll definitely be going on loan in Fife but where we'll just have to see.

2 minutes ago, Stardog_champion said:

The problems are in defence and every team knows this, yet we’re looking at Rudden???

Think we'll only see Rudden here if Gullan goes to Dundalk, however your right, our priorities need to be a solid CB and possibly a LB.

30 minutes ago, Stardog_champion said:

The problems are in defence and every team knows this, yet we’re looking at Rudden???

Problems are in defence but we've all heard the recent interviews and if a player becomes available that can improve us then efforts will be made to sign them. Rudden is a top end of the Championship player, he is better than Gullan as he is a striker. Gullans a little unfortunate as we still don't know his best position and if its wide left we have Easton out there if its as a number 10 we have Vaughan, Stanton that play there. If its one out one in I'd be happy. We still need to address the defensive issues but if both Murray and Watson return that does alleviate this issue slightly allowing Brown back into midfield along side Byrne and Turner.

4 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

Is the deadline for loan signings from other Scottish clubs still the end of February? Seem to remember that used to be the case.

If so, we really shouldn’t be pushing the panic button on signings yet. I think we would all love to see a centre back in for Saturday but if not, we then have 3 weeks until our next league game better to take our time and get the right player in rather than rush and make a mistake. Does look like Ashcroft seems unlikely now though unless Dundee get another centre back in and a few injuries return.

I’d be happy with Rudden in to replace Gullan. I like Gullan, he seems like a really nice guy and has contributed some big moments for us but he has struggled with injuries and I’m still not sure his best position. He’s effectively 4th choice striker as if Hamilton or Vaughan were injured I am sure Murray would play Smith up front instead.

In my opinion we need a ch/full back like end of January rather than waiting later in the loan window, can we honestly say Watson comes back and he stays injury free? Murray same and it’s clear IM isn’t fancy Corr or Masson so what’s the other solution?

Plus if we get them in relatively quick then it’ll give them a lot more time to get upto speed rather than say Mid-late feb they sign they’ve only really got March/April to get upto speed to play and then the season is effectively done at that point, but this is just my opinion though… 

4 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

In my opinion we need a ch/full back like end of January rather than waiting later in the loan window, can we honestly say Watson comes back and he stays injury free? Murray same and it’s clear IM isn’t fancy Corr or Masson so what’s the other solution?

Plus if we get them in relatively quick then it’ll give them a lot more time to get upto speed rather than say Mid-late feb they sign they’ve only really got March/April to get upto speed to play and then the season is effectively done at that point, but this is just my opinion though… 

Yeah I would like to see one in this week (and we may well do) but if not I’m not really fussed if it’s early next week to meet the January deadline or a couple of weeks down the line. Would be nice to win the Trust Trophy so the Airdrie game isn’t a free hit but it’s not going to make our season a success or failure, the league form will and I do think it’s important we have someone in for Dundee United (assuming Watson isn’t fit). Obviously the longer they have to work with the team the better but O’Reilly turned up at short notice and kept a clean sheet on his debut.

Using the Ashcroft example. If he is our first choice and Dundee have told us there is potential he will go out on loan at the beginning of February once they get a couple of injuries, surely we would be better waiting to bring in the required quality rather than getting a second/third choice next week just to say we have a centre back? The problem obviously is if we wait on Ashcroft and then Dundee change their mind/he goes elsewhere.

However, that’s what Potter and the scouting team are paid for and they will be having constant conversations with other clubs, people often think because nobody is signed that nothing is happening or being done and that is definitely not the case. Pretty much every signing made since Potter came to the club has been a success so I think they have earned a little bit of trust and patience over the next couple of weeks till we see what business is done.

1 minute ago, pub car king said:

Does anybody know why we do t have a fixture on the weekend of the 10th of February? 

Its the Scottish Cup weekend. SPL and Championship don't have scheduled games for that weekend. It would usually be used for rescheduled games if possible

1 minute ago, pub car king said:

Does anybody know why we do t have a fixture on the weekend of the 10th of February? 

Weekend is kept free for Scottish cup fifth round. Our only game to catch up with is Partick away (postponed because we are in the Challenge Cup SF), but they are still in the cup so we will have a free week.

We don't even have the option of bringing the game forward from the challenge cup final weekend (should we beat Airdrie in the SF) as we're due to play Airdrie that week and they're still in the Scottish Cup.

We also have a midweek game coming up but that's against Morton who are also still in the cup.