The New Raith Rovers Thread

19 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

Sorry but that’s just not true at all. We have literally started with a different formation in each of our last 3 games not to mention the formation changes in game (which admittedly haven’t worked the last few weeks).

Murray isn’t immune from criticism and he probably has made a few mistakes in recent weeks but he has quite clearly changed tactics to try and find a solution to our recent dip in form.

I think what we actually need is some consistency in terms of formation and team selection and things will start to pick up again when we have the rhythm. It’s not been possible due to injuries but there seems a bit of light at the end of the tunnel on that. Performances are also slowly improving again.

That's not quite true though is it? Same formation v Airdrie and Queens Park and started with the a back 3 against Livi. Unwilling to field an actual centre back, Corr, that he signed BTW and instead play a midfielder as the centre back. 

In each game we havent finished with the same formation as in every game we've been chasing it towards the end and ended up playing Murrayball which as of the last 5 or so games hasn't worked which we all knew would start happening.

He changed tactics once and played a back 3 with probably the weakest back line we could play and against premiership opposition? A fully fit back line, I'd have no issues with a back 3 but not the back 3 he put out. He's employing the same old murrayball which is basically a free for all to try and get something from the game, not tactical, desperation. He had a chance against Airdrie to change things up, as we haven't been great against them and no, he leaves it as is and we were appalling. Everybody else going into that game all spoke about the need to change it up, well apart from Murray. 

18 hours ago, TxRover said:

Interesting suggestion on the role Rudden might play was more of a pest than direct threat. To an extent, that’s  been a common role for Connolly and Easton, but a more forward, central and physical version with Rudden. If that’s what comes to pass, starting with Hamilton and Rudden would be ideal for a player like Vaughan to come on at the 60 minute mark. The defenders are already tired, and they see the more physical Rudden give way to a dancing and fresh Vaughan who can take advantage of them. The opposing coach is now facing reacting to that with a sub rather than making a sub to advance his planning, so we remove one of their their momentum change opportunities as well.

Did you mention Vaughan coming off the bench 🫨🫨🫨 

Dicing with death on this thread mate 😂😂 

More shocked that nobody picked up on you saying that and threw Lewys career stats at you 😂 

We will have to see how good Rudden actually is but definitely gives us a different dimension. 

Will be interesting going forward to see how he will be utilised? 

Sad to see Gullan go, I don't think being utilised as a striker has helped him in any way. Always felt he was more of an attacking midfielder. Good luck to him though and hope he can revive his career. 

20 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Hopefully later, rarely get my post before 2pm.

Anyone else still waiting on their whisky being delivered?

Yeah I contacted the club about it and apparently they are waiting for packaging? Not being funny but it doesn't take a month to get packaging surely? 

18 minutes ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

That's not quite true though is it? Same formation v Airdrie and Queens Park and started with the a back 3 against Livi. Unwilling to field an actual centre back, Corr, that he signed BTW and instead play a midfielder as the centre back. 

In each game we havent finished with the same formation as in every game we've been chasing it towards the end and ended up playing Murrayball which as of the last 5 or so games hasn't worked which we all knew would start happening.

He changed tactics once and played a back 3 with probably the weakest back line we could play and against premiership opposition? A fully fit back line, I'd have no issues with a back 3 but not the back 3 he put out. He's employing the same old murrayball which is basically a free for all to try and get something from the game, not tactical, desperation. He had a chance against Airdrie to change things up, as we haven't been great against them and no, he leaves it as is and we were appalling. Everybody else going into that game all spoke about the need to change it up, well apart from Murray. 

So you admit he has changed tactics then? I didn’t say you had to agree with the changes, you stated he hadn’t changed tactics apart from one game all season which was completely wrong.

The Livi game was a very obvious change of tactics which is why I find it surprising you said he hadn’t changed anything when he had literally made a very big, obvious change to formation in the last game. We’re into semantics between Airdrie and QP in terms of 4-4-2/4-2-3-1/4-1-3-2 but swapping Brown for Turner alongside Byrne fundamentally changes the tactics and the way we play even if not the formation because they are totally different players.

I agree the changes we’ve made when chasing games haven’t worked recently and I said as much in the post you have quoted. However, to say he hasn’t changed tactics was completely wrong, he quite clearly has. He’s changed things each of the last 3 weeks to find a solution. Performances have improved incrementally on the last 3 weeks (wasn’t hard to improve on the Airdrie performance tbf).

Like I said Murray does things that frustrate me and he shouldn’t be immune from criticism but I just feel some of it is over the top for a manager that has us 2nd in the league on a points total that would have had us comfortably clear at the top of the league most seasons.

17 minutes ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

Yeah I contacted the club about it and apparently they are waiting for packaging? Not being funny but it doesn't take a month to get packaging surely? 

I mean it came in a blue post bag, so I doubt they were waiting on an African polythene well being bore out. 

13 minutes ago, pub car king said:

I mean it came in a blue post bag, so I doubt they were waiting on an African polythene well being bore out. 

I think he was referring to the whisky packaging which, if that got shipped in blue bags, they better be water tight 😂

Sorry about my attitude last night, got some horrible news and a mix of drink doesn’t help that I took that frustration out on the wrong people. The Rudden signing might be a bold/bald strategy, let’s hope the gaffer can get it right. Hopefully hear some news on Murray and Watson or a new signing in the next week. 

7 minutes ago, Stardog_champion said:

Sorry about my attitude last night, got some horrible news and a mix of drink doesn’t help that I took that frustration out on the wrong people. The Rudden signing might be a bold/bald strategy, let’s hope the gaffer can get it right. Hopefully hear some news on Murray and Watson or a new signing in the next week. 

We’ve all been there mate. Hope today is a better day 

51 minutes ago, Stardog_champion said:

Murray and Watson has trained all week according to the articles in the courier and I think Murray also said it in his pre match interview as well so they could both be in the squad but if one was to start I reckon it would be Euan 

Edited by RRFC_Liam

2 hours ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

Sad to see Gullan go, I don't think being utilised as a striker has helped him in any way. Always felt he was more of an attacking midfielder. Good luck to him though and hope he can revive his career. 

Gullan was always miscast playing toward the middle. Any time Gullan played, he drifted wide left, kinda like the pitch was actually tilted that way. He was never comfortable in front and getting the ball, his love was a 10-20 yard blast from the left and set piece attempts. I never saw Gullan as an AM, he was much more the classic LW, but that role has pretty much disappeared in today’s formations. It will be interesting to see how he gets utilized at Dundalk, I’d guess it’ll be as part of a front two…which he looked OK in for us when he and Vaughan were clicking.