The New Raith Rovers Thread

I hope we keep the ball on the deck more whilst Hamilton is on the pitch this season. Too often we'd resort to lumping the ball up to him but despite his stature, he's far better with the ball played to feet and we'd see the best of him that way imo.

If Thistle still go with Muirhead and O’Reilly at the back with Mitchell in goal, I genuinely don’t think there will be much to worry about. Of course they are shopping in the same market as us so I suppose it does depend who offers the better deals both in terms of length and of course money. If they do indeed add Chalmers and Byrne then fair enough. But we do have some good quality middle to front without those two. Bear in mind when Byrne got injured, he struggled to get back in the team as we were still motoring on. 

Judging by Turners interview, I think his mind was set on going back to Thistle so whether we were in for him or not matters little. Is he better than Stanton or Easton? I’d say no. Would have I liked him to stay after his last few appearances? Definitely. But that’s football. 

43 minutes ago, pub car king said:

They are going after some quality players, but we are building from the back. Also we're not short of talent further up the pitch either. 

It's a sign of intent from them but I think 6 or 7 teams will fancy their chances in the league if not the play offs this year. 

Indulge me, who are the 3 or 4 teams that in your opinion that won’t fancy their chances?

7 minutes ago, Pride of Fife said:

Indulge me, who are the 3 or 4 teams that in your opinion that won’t fancy their chances?

Every team will fancy their chances, however I'll go for Morton, Hamilton, Airdrie and the Pars to be the ones that will compete at the wrong end. 

It'll be the tightest it's been though 

Not at all bothered by Turner signing for Thistle. A fully fit Easton is a far better option than him playing on the left and Sam Stanton is miles ahead of him as the central attacking midfielder. Would have been decent back up but that's about it. Would be very disappointed if Byrne signs for Thistle or Livi though.

10 hours ago, Pride of Fife said:

I won’t discount Queens Park next season. They have players that can hurt any team. They have a very wealthy backer and won’t think twice about spending. The other teams are the most obvious. Livingston, Morton and the Pars

56 minutes ago, Stardog_champion said:

I won’t discount Queens Park next season. They have players that can hurt any team. They have a very wealthy backer and won’t think twice about spending. The other teams are the most obvious. Livingston, Morton and the Pars

Livi, imo, will absolutely be challenging at the top. Too many folk letting club name and size clout their view. They've made somewhere in the region of 8 new signings and for once Martindale can't really spin the 'we're skint' narrative for this upcoming season. 

7 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Livi, imo, will absolutely be challenging at the top. Too many folk letting club name and size clout their view. They've made somewhere in the region of 8 new signings and for once Martindale can't really spin the 'we're skint' narrative for this upcoming season. 

I'd agree. They're also receiving a hell of a lot more in competition prize money than any club in this league and UEFA solidarity money which should push their budgets a bit more than we can.

7 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

I'd agree. They're also receiving a hell of a lot more in competition prize money than any club in this league and UEFA solidarity money which should push their budgets a bit more than we can.

True.  But, surely they will (a). use that to balance any current Financial Issue, and (b). for the foreseeable future, keep the ' Wolf from the .............................................................Oh we are talking about Livingston FC.

Hopefully a new signing announced today to encourage ST sales......

Pretty much agree with what others have said about what else we need.

I reckon we'll have a decent chance of bringing Megwa in on loan and he'd be a fantastic signing.  I think we'd see a return to the old Connolly with a better attacking RB behind him.

Will be keeping an eye on Dundee's transfer business to see if Tiffony is pushed further down the pecking order.  I don't think I'd be alone now in seeing him as a good signing....

Another striker is definitely needed and it'll be interesting to see if we go down the loan route.  Are Bobby Wales or Alfie Bavidge ready to step up from L1 to top end (hopefully) of the Championship?

19 minutes ago, AllanJM said:

Another striker is definitely needed and it'll be interesting to see if we go down the loan route.  Are Bobby Wales or Alfie Bavidge ready to step up from L1 to top end (hopefully) of the Championship?

Few of us on here old enough to remember his Grandad being signed by the Rovers, didnt go well.

Dont think we'd take a kid as our extra forward, more likely a more experienced forward that has just lost their edge and needs to kick start their career someone like Oli Shaw for example

4 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

Few of us on here old enough to remember his Grandad being signed by the Rovers, didnt go well.

Dont think we'd take a kid as our extra forward, more likely a more experienced forward that has just lost their edge and needs to kick start their career someone like Oli Shaw for example

Might not be a bad shout.  I can think of at least 2 strikers who came to us over the last 10 years or so when there careers were faltering and have gone on to do very well for us and then other teams afterwards.  Still only 26 too.

I suspect a few championship teams will be looking at Rumarn Burrell now that he's left Cove but there was a suggestion when he left that he wanted to move back to England.

Bit nervous about having younger players on loan in key positions, as could end up in a situation in January where they are recalled with a view to potentially returning to their parent club.

2 hours ago, Raithie said:

Too early to call on Livi, I think. If the business they've done so far is the "top end" of what they do then I can't see them challenging, but if (as I suspect) it's more like the bottom end and their headline signings are still to come, they'll be tough to beat. They'll also likely be the ones with the most funds available in January, which is always a factor. 

30 minutes ago, AllanJM said:

Might not be a bad shout.  I can think of at least 2 strikers who came to us over the last 10 years or so when there careers were faltering and have gone on to do very well for us and then other teams afterwards.  Still only 26 too.

I suspect a few championship teams will be looking at Rumarn Burrell now that he's left Cove but there was a suggestion when he left that he wanted to move back to England.

Rumarn is wanting a move down south was mentioned in our retained list. Can't see him staying up here because of that but if he gets a good offer for you or another championship team then you never know.