The New Raith Rovers Thread

What is strange is a real lack of rumours. We're hoping Hanlon is signed, no idea who will come in at right back. No idea if we are looking at Telfer or a striker.

Needs to be a RB signed.

75% of the season we had a midfielder playing centre back. To start game 1 of the season with a midfielder playing RB isn’t acceptable, fine for cover but not in a best 11.

Hopefully some news this week..

5 hours ago, TxRover said:

On the midfield discussion, who replaces Stanton if he misses a few weeks again? Like last season, we don’t have a natural replacement, honestly for even a portion of his talents. We have attacking minds, we have defending mids, but a connector like Stanton, with vision and skills, we just don’t have someone who easily slots into the role. Last year, before Turner arrived, we questioned if Matthew’s could perhaps fill Sam’s spot, pro tem. He just isn’t that type of player, he’s grittier and more defensively focused. Byrne didn’t work as the solution either. Brown, see above. So that leaves the more attacking minded wingers/mids, and not one them fill the role either.

Stanton is a single point of failure right now, and perhaps even our only single point (RB can be argued) right now. Maybe that’s why there’s a Telfer rumour.

Please stop using AI to write your posts. It’s like Willy Wonka World all over again 

8 hours ago, pub car king said:

It's probably a bit unfair to judge any individual Caley player as their season and club in general was a raging bin fire. 

For me getting a RB is a massive priority, yes Matthews did a job there but it's the Scott Brown  situation all over again. 

Players are back next week which should have given them a decent period of rest. It will be good to see the new signings in pre season to see where they're at especially the younger ones. 

Speaking to someone who played against Lewis Gibson. He can play Right back but mainly a wing back. It could be a back 3 this season. 

Given the long time friendships and Hibs connection between our Gaffer, Stevenson, Hanlon* and David Gray…. Surely (if Murray wants him) then we will be number one destination for Megwa if he is sent out on loan once more? With only a year left on his contract maybe we could even push the boat out a wee bit and get him in permanently if he isn’t considered parts of Gray’s plans at Easter Rd?

Much as I love Ross Matthews, would hate to see him shoehorned in to right back, sure, he done well there back end of season and wouldn’t mind him covering if the need arose but he is a central midfielder and if back to full fitness, a damn good one.

I'd be absolutely amazed if IM isn't looking to sign a new RB.  Matthews is a capable stand-in at a push but is definitely not a starting RB for a team challenging for the championship title (which I'm sure we all agree we should be aiming to be).  I have no doubt him and Potter have a number of players identified and will be speaking to the relevant people for their no 1 target.

As for Alex Samuel.....absolutely not!!!!  The guy has 17 career goals (if you're generous and count the 2 for Wales u18) in 192 appearances at the age of 28.  I think it should be pretty clear by now he is not a striker at a level anywhere near where we are.  I have no idea what County saw in him with his 6 goals for Wycombe (in 72 games over a 3 year period) that made them sign him.  Yes he looked good against us in 1 game but there's plenty of evidence to suggest that game was very much not his normal level.

13 minutes ago, ohnononowheredidRossgo said:

Why the absolute panic on signings lads and lassies?

I mind the good old days when we were starting with about 10 senior players and John Valente and Bottle John as subs.

I put it to you we’ll sign a right back and have new kits.

Always thought Andy Tickle Feet could have done a turn for us, speeding down the left wing

13 hours ago, Pride of Fife said:

Given the long time friendships and Hibs connection between our Gaffer, Stevenson, Hanlon* and David Gray…. Surely (if Murray wants him) then we will be number one destination for Megwa if he is sent out on loan once more? With only a year left on his contract maybe we could even push the boat out a wee bit and get him in permanently if he isn’t considered parts of Gray’s plans at Easter Rd?

Much as I love Ross Matthews, would hate to see him shoehorned in to right back, sure, he done well there back end of season and wouldn’t mind him covering if the need arose but he is a central midfielder and if back to full fitness, a damn good one.

Hanlon not going to Fife is what I heard…….😏

17 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Enlighten us then please,where is he going? 

Not sure but hearing another club countering deal on offer from you guys…..watch this space & could end up in Fife at end of day……….metaphorically speaking of course.

3 minutes ago, Kircer bairn said:

Not sure but hearing another club countering deal on offer from you guys…..watch this space & could end up in Fife at end of day……….metaphorically speaking of course.

Sooner it’s resolved one way or another the better

Hanlon is bound to have a few offers on the table from the Championship.  Wouldn't be surprised if a team like St Johnstone are also interested as plenty of Hibs fans suggested he could still do a job in the Premiership.  Ultimately, if we get him it'll be a bloody good signing.  If not, on to the next target.