The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 hours ago, pub car king said:

It's a big ask to replace Stanton for anyone never mind a young lad who's never played league football. He has shown signs of quality though and would expect him to be loaned out on the coming weeks. 

Yep, I'd be very surprised if he isn't loaned out to a Kelty Hearts type side. I also think we'll see another striker come in, Stevie May being released by St Johnstone would be the obvious but hopefully the board and management team have some feelers out there. I'm well aware there are 10 teams at this level all looking for the same player but fingers crossed we can find a 15 goal guy, on today's showing it ain't going to be big Jack Hamilton.

43 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

The left side of Stevenson, Gibson and Easton is where we look dangerous. Gibson needs more game time for me, looks a player and so young too. 

As bad as a first half that was I’m not going to dwell on it as Brown / Stanton are probably the first two picks on the team sheet.

Said before though, we lack pace and are 1/2 players short for me to genuinely challenge for 1st based on what I’ve seen so far. 

Totally agree bud , feel for big jack, works hard , wins loads of flick one just nobody there to capitalise on them. He doesn’t get a lot of chances in a game from us

47 minutes ago, keyser_soze said:

Yep, I'd be very surprised if he isn't loaned out to a Kelty Hearts type side. I also think we'll see another striker come in, Stevie May being released by St Johnstone would be the obvious but hopefully the board and management team have some feelers out there. I'm well aware there are 10 teams at this level all looking for the same player but fingers crossed we can find a 15 goal guy, on today's showing it ain't going to be big Jack Hamilton.

Reliably informed that May is happy to bide his time and wait for Levein & Kirk to get the punt. That could always change with results going their way today, progressing in the cup and potentially buying CL a wee bit of time. 

Murray had the option to start a more experienced side than he did. I also wonder, if it had been a case of win and go through whether one or two more of our absentess might have showed up. Certainly the first half performance showed a certain lackadaisical quality to it. Does Dylan Easton play thay lazy ball back that let's the Accies boy through in a league game? You'd hope not.

Midfield was a big let down. Montague has s future in the game for sure, but is well off it just now, certainly as a starter. Some good stuff going forward when on the ball but was absent when needing to fill in the gaps defending and some dissapointing passing as well. It feels harsh to pick on a kid in this way, but it did contribute majorly to how Hamilton were able to dominate the middle.

Having said that, neither Matthews or Byrne showed any of their customary bite throughout the game, but once Easton had dropped into the middle it felt like a sudden increase in energy and for the last 30 minutes we looked a bit better.

When Hamilton conceded the o.g. It was from us building from the middle of the park and being able to try and play Jack Hamilton in behind the defence instead of hammering the ball at him from 40 yards away. Almost certainly, we should have gone in front from the ball to the back post that Mullin put wide.

Would also agree that Fordyce wasn't great but then again, it's not like anyone was showing for a pass to often either. Didnt cover himself in glory for the goal either.

Lewis Gibson looks a lot closer to being a first team player and put in some good crosses as well. Smith came on and looked busy. Connolly likely should have started in a game where Murray might have predicted we'd be picking off scraps early door given the rest of the team selection.

I dunno, it's obviously not brilliant and I wouldnt begrudge anyone's subsequent bad mood based on an extrapolation of our LC group perfromance into the league.

I think we have a couple more gears than we showed today. We can pass the ball quickly, and accurately. Our players can find pockets of space that pull defences apart. I disagree with this emerging narrative that we are slow, as if Joe Hammill, Robert Sloan and Ryan Conroy are all playing off of Stevie Hislop. We are one paced (i.e. our squad has a fairly narrow distribution of pace) but I don't think we are slow and anyway our tempo relies on the pace at which we move the ball which was absent today.

It was a bad day at the office, a bad attitude to the game, compounded by a gamble on a young guy to see where his development is. It looked to me - and I may be reaching for positives here - like we generally did not take it seriously enough (and given the crowd size, did any of us?)

I think we will likely have a fuller squad available next week, and I dont think today is a reliable bellwether for the league.

When Airdrie do beat us, it'll be for a variety of different issues...

Edited by renton

No many positives today with the last 15 minutes of the 1st half being a bit of a horror show with and without the ball.

Big Kev though.As good as ever making saves and there’s a definite improvement on the cross balls and kicking (including the left foot).

Hoping for a full squad available next week and a positive start to the league campaign.

A new season and still no regular centre backs. Will we ever have two good centre backs fit ever again? Starting to doubt it.  We just can’t seem to get a grip of these League Cup groups. Always feel like pre-season friendlies. Wish they’d bring back the one-off knock out format. Expectations after last season are high and so far, we’re not living up to them. Although anyone that boos a team off at half-time when it’s 0-0 is a wrong un. Anyway, the real stuff starts next week. 

Just now, FitbaSupporter said:

A new season and still no regular centre backs. Will we ever have two good centre backs fit ever again? Starting to doubt it.  We just can’t seem to get a grip of these League Cup groups. Always feel like pre-season friendlies. Wish they’d bring back the one-off knock out format. Expectations after last season are high and so far, we’re not living up to them. Although anyone that boos a team off at half-time when it’s 0-0 is a wrong un. Anyway, the real stuff starts next week. 

Have to agree with this. Feels like they've only made it harder for the lower league teams to progress, while shortening the pre season training.

36 minutes ago, FitbaSupporter said:

We qualified from the group stages two out of the last three tournaments going into this one, so we should really know what’s required. 

Completely agree that the format of the tournament is rubbish now though 

54 minutes ago, renton said:

What did he say?

Didn’t give much away on Hanlon-my thoughts niggle worse than they thought.

Vaughan ‘hopefully’ back training with squad end of week.

Brown ‘hopefully’ back Wednesday or Thursday.

Murray picked up ‘hopefully’ a wee niggle towards end of the week.

Stanton ill.

Im never very optimistic with his injury updates.

A convincing away win at Stirling, a less than convincing home win against Stranraer and a slightly unfortunate loss against a fairly ropey Ross Co, I missed todays game but it seemed to follow a relatively similar pattern to sum up our LC campaign and pre-season friendly at Methil.

Vaughan is a big miss (he will take a week or two to get into his stride when he returns) as is Stants who is often at the beating heart of everything good we do. Mullin offers great delivery from dead balls (especially corners) but to my my mind not a great deal else, I'd prefer to see more of Gibson.

Jack Hamilton could probably be so much more effective if paired with another striker, why are so many coaches wedded to the "one up top" strategy? Most of the lesser fancied teams at the Euro's well outperformed expectations having a more aggressive outlook.

Experience is a great thing but I do worry at we are changing into or have to an extent become an aged side under Murray. Elsewhere  I wouldn't call Easton a passenger but I do feel he's a bit of a luxury at times, his cheaply losing the ball against Stranraer put Fordyce in trouble for their goal and at the other end he tries too hard and too often for those Hollywood finishes. 

The jury is sitting on Freeman, I think he'll be fine once he has better options infront of him, Rovers will improve with the movement of Vaughan and Stanton.

Maybe we just need to sharpen up and gel a bit and we'll be fine, but having raised the stakes the problem is we need to be better than just fine, conversely we put that same side out next week at Airdrie and if they don't up their game some then they wont be fine, in fact they'll struggle to come away with anything.

18 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

We qualified from the group stages two out of the last three tournaments going into this one, so we should really know what’s required. 

Completely agree that the format of the tournament is rubbish now though 

Aye, you're really looking at getting a relatively favourable draw to give you the best chance of going through. You need a top flight team on a bit of a wobble, and to ideally avoid one of the better Championship teams.

Realistically, you need to go out and give a doing to at least one of the lower ranked teams to get your goal difference up to. Last season we couldn't have been luckier to get through. This season we've gone out with a relative whimper after an unfortunate winner up at County and what seemed a meek performance today with injuries and a big ask.

You'll never feel like any team is the completed article. This time last season we had only just brought in Euan Murray who was yet to feature.

I'm not against the format as overall it provides all teams with 4 games in the competition which is guaranteed income for smaller clubs some of whom will have faced a Hibs or Aberdeen and with that a decent gate.  As stated we have qualified from this before and if you're good enough then you do most times, the reason we haven't today is that we weren't good enough, not clinical enough to get clearly by Stranraer and more importantly Hamilton Accies or even scrape draw Ross Co, a 3-0 win would have potentially seen us through.

Queens Park took a 5-1 thumping against Hibs and still qualified.

1 hour ago, FitbaSupporter said:

I’m not a fan of the League Cup group stages either. It just looks like another way to make sure the teams from the top league get through, while giving the lower league teams a guaranteed 4 cup games as a sop. I can’t be bothered with them. They are on in July when it’s still pre-season in my mind, which isn’t a positive either.

I’ve been to one game - the friendly at East Fife - and in that game we looked the part. Since then we seem to have had some more bother with injuries. Doesn’t bode well.

Edited by Scary Bear

We beat the two teams below us, lost to the team above us, and drew with the team in our division. From a high level, there's not a lot to be annoyed about there, particularly when you look at some of the mad results other Championship and Premiership teams have had. 

The biggest sin has been being a bit too pedestrian at times, and hopefully that can be explained away by the competition and the injuries. 

I'd be happier if we'd gotten through, but there are fine margins and I don't think there's a need for any soul searching at this stage. 

Really pedestrian today when we knew that a win (and a big one) was required. I think that’s the most frustrating thing. Connolly and Smith who have contributed the most goals for us this season so far left on the bench is fucking bewildering to me.

Mullin frustrates the hell out of me. Aye he runs. But Jesus Christ the most one trick of one trick pony players of all time. Any full back at any level will have an easy day against him. It’s embarrassing actually. 

Gibson should have been given his first start today. Easily our brightest spark. Again (and for fucking years) only started playing when we went a goal behind. 

The players injured today of course had an impact, but the pool we had available were more than capable to get at Hamilton today. 

Edited by Wardy

Highlights were interesting viewing, ball out of play straight from kick off, they ran right through us in the middle in that first half, big Kev made a few big saves that kept us in the game, I'm hoping it was too an big ask to qualify and we were only going through the motions to try and at least win the game with the players available, giving the injuries to others another week to clear up.

Away to our bogie team Airdrie next week, I ain't confident