The New Raith Rovers Thread

They think Dylan Tait is the best player in the Championship? Wasn't even the best Dylan on the park today. We got the full 90 minutes from the boys today the way that Collins wants them to play and it paid off in a deserved fashion. 

one thing i got from yesterdays highlights is this.  we do need a strikers but we need some one who can shoot from the edge of the box or further away. yesterday was plain to see again we try to walk the ball in the net so to speak. we have the players who can shoot from distance so why isnt that part of our training this is not a criticism but more a observation.

Edited by Varna Rover

Really impressive three points yesterday.

Defensively, Rovers looked far better organised; limiting Falkirk to a few half chances. I’m not sure Dabrowski had many (any?) out & out saves to make.

Offensively, there’s still work to be done. Rovers should have been able to fashion a two goal lead with some of the chances they had. Still, it’s promising that players like Easton (especially), Pollock & Connolly all contributed very effectively to transitions of play. 

I’m going to refrain from being overly negative but big question marks still over some of the attacking subs & their role. Jamieson was a step down. For my money, it should have been Gibson coming on. He doesn’t keep play up the other end & was prone to losing possession through poor choice & indecision yesterday. Callum Smith is, for my money, the better version of Jamieson but equally, seems to bring the play 20yds further towards our own goal. His decision not to run for the corner flag yesterday, in added time, was absolutely baffling too. 

All in, a massive three points & hopefully the first of a good run of form.

I've seen a couple of folk criticise Smith for not taking that ball to the corner but I think the pass was definitely on. It was just horrendously executed. And half decent pass would've seen Jamieson clean through on goal. 

41 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I've seen a couple of folk criticise Smith for not taking that ball to the corner but I think the pass was definitely on. It was just horrendously executed. And half decent pass would've seen Jamieson clean through on goal. 

I agree, the pass was the option, just poorly executed, which wasn't a shock to anyone. 

Jamieson needs to be in the Smith role, get him running in behind and have Smith sit a bit deeper where his lack of touch can be rescued by team mates instead of turning over possession. 

Post match interview and NC saying Fordyce is back to full training on Monday and Stanton back in a couple of weeks time. I'd hope we keep Easton centrally as he looks like he's far more comfortable in that number 10 role. 

Great to see Scott Brown back on the pitch too. Certainly feels like we're getting back more and more players who can make a difference. 

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

With the time remaining Smith should have taken that into the corner. Yes if he pulled the pass off Jamieson had a chance to score but he didn't and put us under needless pressure.

25 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Post match interview and NC saying Fordyce is back to full training on Monday and Stanton back in a couple of weeks time. I'd hope we keep Easton centrally as he looks like he's far more comfortable in that number 10 role. 

Great to see Scott Brown back on the pitch too. Certainly feels like we're getting back more and more players who can make a difference. 

It’s all conjecture at this stage but if Vaughan is out for any significant length of time, Easton has a real opportunity to play as a more natural 10.

Also frees up a position out wide for the likes of Pollock to be starting a run of games too.

Didn't see the matches yesterday and only just caught the highlights. Looked like a full blooded competitive game which granted isn't for the purest but you'll get entertainment out of it. 

Dylan Easton cut open the defence with the pass leading to the penalty which was a stonewaller he looks like he's enjoying himself again. 

Jack Hamilton looks like a new signing, 2 weeks in a row where he has been involved in everything. It's imperative we keep him fit, I'd love to see him getting a run of 10 or more games without breaking down again. 

McGlynn did look to have taken that defeat a bit hard. He didn't go mental as such but you could tell it was a sore one.  

Gibson was never going to get on the park when Collins switched it to a 3-5-2. No need for a winger in that formation, that's probably why he went with the 2 strikers in Jamieson and Smith.

6 hours ago, skynews said:

Barney Stewart from Heriot Watt training with Raith and has been offered a contract. Anyone know much about him?

Excuse the music but here he is scoring the perfect hattrick  against Rosyth in the League. From London apparently 

Edited by MICMAC

Seems a very low risk move if we did go for him. The upside clubs like Thistle have had from the likes McBeth shows it's a market worth scouting. 

In all honesty, for all the aspirational chat of academies from the governing bodies I'd rather we were going out and picking up players like this. 

On 28/09/2024 at 22:34, Been going too long said:

F**k him I am glad we were the ones to do it , no way was he getting a round of applause from me, I get some folk won’t agree with me but imo he was never going to renew his contract with us after what happened and he ran away and left Murray to pick up the pieces. I get I will get a few reds for this but seeing the ex players, Berra etc it felt sweet at the end 

Deffo green from me pal.  Was glad when the baldy arsehole f**ked off.

3 hours ago, MICMAC said:

Excuse the music but here he is scoring the perfect hattrick  against Rosyth in the League. From London apparently 

That music can never be excused.  Hard to really judge anything on clips as they're designed to highlight the good bits and thats it. 

2 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Seems a very low risk move if we did go for him. The upside clubs like Thistle have had from the likes McBeth shows it's a market worth scouting. 

In all honesty, for all the aspirational chat of academies from the governing bodies I'd rather we were going out and picking up players like this. 

I'd agree, certainly worth a low risk punt. 

I think academies work best when two things are present, a defined funding stream that doesn't put pressure on the first team and a clear strategy adopted by the clubs that doesn't change when a manager does. You look at the likes of Ajax, Barcelona etc, their academies are set in stone, they do what they do and it fits into the clubs philosophy easily. The community foundation is probably a good middle ground for us. Having Potter working with the coaching staff there to give them new ideas and improve their skills to provide a better experience for the kids. If we can get one or two from there every few years that has a genuine chance, great.