The New Raith Rovers Thread

No I don't. Considering we have nowhere near the same budget as Falkirk, Dundee, Dunfermline, the newly relegated team that joins us next season and probably others. I don't see how we can realistically expect to challenge for promotion. You're living in cuckoo land. I'm sure the club have an ambition of reaching the SPL but I'm also pretty sure they don't want to undo all the good work that seems to have been done so far by overspending and then asking the fans to bring the begging buckets back out.

Nothing wrong with ambition, but there's also nothing wrong with steady and simple progress. Lets just make sure our club still exists in ten years time.

Falkirk and Dunfermline arent necessarily bigger clubs than us, just because we've come up from a spell in the Second. Dundee you'd expect to be an SPL side but the other two have no more right or expectation than we have to aspire to the SPL. A few clubs have bounced back to the SPL from the Second and even Third. The fortunes of clubs fluctuate all the time - Hamilton have been down in the Third, and Killie in the Second. Even Dumbarton have been in the SPL. You cant judge potential on recent league status.

I would suggest that if mid table in the First is the club's ultimate goal, which is achievable this season, then McGlynn will be off at the first reasonable management offer.

Edited by bring_back_the_twa_hoops

Falkirk and Dunfermline arent necessarily bigger clubs than us, just because we've come up from a spell in the Second. Dundee you'd expect to be an SPL side but the other two have no more right or expectation than we have to aspire to the SPL. A few clubs have bounced back to the SPL from the Second and even Third. The fortunes of clubs fluctuate all the time - Hamilton have been down in the Third, and Killie in the Second. Even Dumbarton have been in the SPL. You cant judge potential on recent league status.

I would suggest that if mid table in the First is the club's ultimate goal, which is achievable this season, then McGlynn will be off at the first reasonable management offer.

The chairman has stated that pushing fro promotion and ultimately reaching the spl is the goal. I agree with others that this has to be done at the right time. I think this season has to be about consolidation. For me that is simply staying in the league again. Yes I'd be disappointed if we don't improve but looking at the bigger picture it wouldn't be the end of the world. Season 2011-12 should see a significant improvement but would still be too soon for a push for promotion IMHO.

Realistically I think we should be looking at the 12-13 season as the one where we become serious promotion contenders.

We need to be stable enough financially to cope with a failed promotion push. With the finance we have now (and the improvement required to push for promotion) a failed attempt would kill us.

The chairman has stated that pushing fro promotion and ultimately reaching the spl is the goal. I agree with others that this has to be done at the right time. I think this season has to be about consolidation. For me that is simply staying in the league again. Yes I'd be disappointed if we don't improve but looking at the bigger picture it wouldn't be the end of the world. Season 2011-12 should see a significant improvement but would still be too soon for a push for promotion IMHO.

Realistically I think we should be looking at the 12-13 season as the one where we become serious promotion contenders.

We need to be stable enough financially to cope with a failed promotion push. With the finance we have now (and the improvement required to push for promotion) a failed attempt would kill us.

Thats more or less what I think, tho I dont think the time scale means too much, we should move whenever we're ready, nor do I agree that 'a failed attempt would kill us'. The bottom of the SPL isnt a great standard after all. But I think we agree that the important thing is having the ambition to reach the SPL, not just to make up the numbers in the First.

Really?! Lets just try and get the bloody debt paid off before we think about punching above our weight. Rovers are the size of a mid table-to low end First Division team and until we have any money that's the best we could probably do. We can't afford to have a 'promotion push'.

Unless a Sugar daddy comes in you better be prepared to wait till around about 2021 for the debt to be paid off

Unless a Sugar daddy comes in you better be prepared to wait till around about 2021 for the debt to be paid off

I don't want Rovers to get a sugar daddy, I want us to wait till 2021 or later, if that's how long it takes to pay the debt off. As long as we have a club to support.

I don't want Rovers to get a sugar daddy, I want us to wait till 2021 or later, if that's how long it takes to pay the debt off. As long as we have a club to support.

I would rather be a top four first division team than a bottom three SPL club anyway. Paying £20+ to see Rovers struggle every week isn't my idea of fun!!!

I would rather be a top four first division team than a bottom three SPL club anyway. Paying £20+ to see Rovers struggle every week isn't my idea of fun!!!

I'd rather see the same, tbh.

I'm not saying I wouldn't like to see us play in the SPL one day, but losing pretty much every week isn't something you want to see. At least being a good First Division side, you see your team win a good amount of games.

100 pages! Whoopa!!!11111

Edited by Michael W

A lot of folk prefer to see a winning team in a lower division than a losing team above. Theres nothing wrong with that. Theres also the thrill of being in the promotion pack as we all know, even if we dont make it in the end. Still, I'd prefer to see us in as high a league as possible, and even if we find ourselves in a relegation fight, that has its own thrills.

After being the best of the 1st Div in the two seasons we were promoted I have to say that the year under Munro ending in relegation from the prem where we were getting horsed week in week oot was probably THE most depressing time I can recall in 35 years of watching the team.

Ok so perhaps the glory of Coca-Cola and Munich previously made it feel somehow worse than it actually was, but for me it was an even more miserable period than the Glesga gansters and Anelka time. It was that period that was the catalyst for our fall from grace to the rock bottom of Anelka.

I'd happily be a challenging 1st div team rather than a mediocre SPL side. The season we were relegated under Munro we went to Brechin in the cup and I think I realised then that getting a beer in the pub without fighting your way though the unwashed masses and then sauntering up the road at 2-50 and into the ground for K.O at 3pm is far more relaxed and pleasurable than going to Ibrox, Parkhead or even Motherwell at SP.

Edited by Scottydog

It's pretty harsh to say that Thomson "got rid" of Cameron, of course we'd have loved to have kept him but it was clear that several of those players were moving on to better things. Some of the players he replaced them with weren't up to much, true.

Edited to add: I don't think Thomson had much to do with it anyway, I think the chairman was pretty much taking the reigns of transfer policy at the time.

Edited by Yoss

It's pretty harsh to say that Thomson "got rid" of Cameron, of course we'd have loved to have kept him but it was clear that several of those players were moving on to better things. Some of the players he replaced them with weren't up to much, true.

Edited to add: I don't think Thomson had much to do with it anyway, I think the chairman was pretty much taking the reigns of transfer policy at the time.

Doing the short time Thomson was in charge we must have spent around £1 million on players...

£225k for Paul Harvey

£100k for Paul Bonar

£100k for Craig McEwan

I assume at least £100k maybe even £150k for Peter Duffield

To name a few! :o

jimmy nic bought craig mcewan and duffield was scoring for fun the previous season. i think they sacked the janny a couple of games too soon he had a plan and a system it just needed a wee bit of time. i do wonder how we would have faired under the hamster but we will never know and iain munro was a shite manager

Munro was a duff manager but it was Jimmy Thomson who killed us off. He got rid of all the ball players - including selling Micky Cameron to Hearts for a song - and brought in cloggers. If wee Tam had stayed I think he might have rescued us but not Munro.

I disagree.

Raith achieved our highest finish I've ever seen (5th / 6th ijn the top league) under Thomson. (we were 8th when Nichol went to Millwall in the spring)

Holding on to Mickey was never going to happen and if you think was JT that did the deal and set the price and not Mr Penman then you must be better informed than the guys on the board at the time. Thomson probably thought that John Millar, Kriprovic, Scott Thomson and Paul Harvey were good ball players (they were good at their previous clubs!).

Jimmy The jannie was sacked principally because Tommy McLean became available and because he lost the opening games of the season. Away to Rangers then away to Celtic with 1st Div Airdrionians putting us out of the League cup. In my view only the latter was his real failing.

yeah, Craig McEwan was a year later but you could add in Paul Browne and Kevin Twaddle. We didn't spend anything like the full amount we'd received for Cameron / Crawford / Dair / Sinclair but we did spend a reasonable whack of it.

Seems like a different age.

I disagree.

Raith achieved our highest finish I've ever seen (5th / 6th ijn the top league) under Thomson. (we were 8th when Nichol went to Millwall in the spring)

Holding on to Mickey was never going to happen and if you think was JT that did the deal and set the price and not Mr Penman then you must be better informed than the guys on the board at the time. Thomson probably thought that John Millar, Kriprovic, Scott Thomson and Paul Harvey were good ball players (they were good at their previous clubs!).

Jimmy The jannie was sacked principally because Tommy McLean became available and because he lost the opening games of the season. Away to Rangers then away to Celtic with 1st Div Airdrionians putting us out of the League cup. In my view only the latter was his real failing.

Finished 6th with a goal difference of -16 while Hibs who had the same points were on -14 also we were only 12 points away from Aberdeen who finished 3rd! :lol: