The New Raith Rovers Thread

I see our good friend Crawford is taking charge of us on Saturday. Here's our record in games he's taken charge of,

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/raith-rovers-fc/schiedsrichterdetail/verein_2795_1609.html

I find it slightly odd that so many of them have taken place at Stark's Park. If this is accurate then including this Saturday, 11 of his 13 have been in Kirkcaldy.

I don't think its a financial thing. I honestly reckon they could make it £5 to get in and we wouldn't break the 2500 mark.

I don't think its to do with the quality because this starting 11, on paper, is the best we've had for a while and people didn't turn up for the first few games of the season.

I don't think league reconstruction will help very much.

Personally, I just feel there is far too much to do on a Saturday other than go to the football. The price, the quality and playing the same team every other week might come into some peoples decision not to go but overall I think people just have better things to do.

Before, my Saturday was a few pints down the street, along to starks park, a few pints along the street and then upto the ice rink for the flyers. It wouldn't matter how much money i had in my bank that week, that was my routine. Now I go to the Rovers, go home and have my tea then go to the ice rink.

I have as much money as I did back then but I just don't feel like going to the football and the hockey on a Saturday is worth the day out anymore. I more or less go out of habit but its not the big day out to the football that it once was to me. I used to go to nearly every away game. I'll be surprised if I go to 5 this season.

As I mentioned I go watch the Flyers. They got over 1700 for a friendly vs Dundee 2 weeks ago and averaged something like 1500 last season. They are getting people through the door and its the same price as the football. They don't seem to do anything dramatic to promote the club. They do however emphasis the family sport part of it. That makes a huge difference to some people.

For me it is the money but not just the ticket cost, before I have even bought a pint I will be £30 down between ticket and train fare through so probably min a "home" game for me is about £50. I really need to pick and choose my games especially with it getting nearer to xmas (yes i said it) tho there are a few away games I def want to get to this season but will always have other things on that make football just less a priority at the moment

I think Flyers decision to join the Elite league may have taken a small chunk of fans away. I don't go myself, but for the entry fee you're watching the best players in Britain. That's obviously not the case in the Scottish Championship.

There's possibly an argument to be made that Kirkcaldy is an ice-hockey town rather than a football one.

Not sure how they manage to package it as family friendly, when it includes so many fights though.

Not sure how they manage to package it as family friendly, when it includes so many fights though.

The family part is more the off ice than the on ice. The atmosphere is undoubtedly louder than the Rovers but due to the whole family side of things, its pretty uncommon to hear swear words in a chant. Complete day and night stuff from the stuff you hear at the Rovers about fingering your gran and what not.

Its a more family friendly atmosphere is probably what I am trying to say.

You also have the kids activities at the end of period breaks which are popular.

The amount of families you see at the hockey is massive compared to the football. Its really quite hard to explain but the flyers really focus on the whole family thing.

Ross Cunningham, who does St Johnstones video site, also plays a huge part in connecting the players to the fans.

You'd be very surprised how little fights there are at the flyers. I'd go for something like 10 last year in a 60 game season.

That's interesting, pretty presumptious of me to talk about fighting when I'm never there right enough.

You're spot on with the abuse that goes on. Don't get me wrong, it's always went on and at all clubs, but it is pretty crude sometimes. I can understand people not wanting to take their kids to football.

You'd think that Flyers and Rovers could put their heads together and come up with some ticketing arrangement that could be mutually beneficial? Slight discount on Flyers games with a Raith season ticket or vice versa?

I'm sure the clubs used to have much closer links in the past. I remember a Flyers v Raith Fun Day type thing, years ago, in the Beveridge Park for example. Those links seem to have completely vanished.

You'd think that Flyers and Rovers could put their heads together and come up with some ticketing arrangement that could be mutually beneficial? Slight discount on Flyers games with a Raith season ticket or vice versa?

Whilst I'm not 100% positive I think Flyers approached Rovers in the past for some sort of ticket deal but Rovers knocked them back.

EDIT: In fact did we not knock them back and they then asked Dunfermline who agreed to some sort of deal.

Edited by Raithie

For me it's lack of enthusiasm, rather than the cost, that stops me attending. Although, I still think the admission costs are too high.

There was a buzz about the place when the takeover was ongoing, but that's disappeared.

It's pretty obvious that a winning team, playing attractive football, is the only thing that might get people back in the stadium and get a bit of atmosphere back about the place.

Whilst I'm not 100% positive I think Flyers approached Rovers in the past for some sort of ticket deal but Rovers knocked them back.

EDIT: In fact did we not knock them back and they then asked Dunfermline who agreed to some sort of deal.

Kinda. Allan Paul, flyers commercial manager, contacted all the 4 Fife clubs. Only Dunfermline wanted to link up. Although, after the Dunfermline link was fairly successful, the Rovers struck up a deal of sorts aswell for a while.

Jim (50/50 seller, brings the wee flag, beadle guy) is now a regular at the ice rink.

Finance isn't an issue for me, but both work and health circumstances are affecting me at the moment. I've still got my season ticket right enough, but haven't been to any away games yet this season and wasn't at the Hearts or Falkirk cup game. I've no issue with the quality of what's being put on the pitch either, but the diving has pissed me off, and Elliot's continual and apparently unchecked moaning at refs is hard to love as well. (I remain mostly proud of the club and haven't forgotten their actions last summer.)

More generally, I think ennui is a big factor in these ten team leagues, especially now we've been in the same division for a few years.