The New Raith Rovers Thread

More generally, I think ennui is a big factor in these ten team leagues, especially now we've been in the same division for a few years.

That's undoubtedly the biggest factor. When we came up we'd watched a winning team for a season and had a buzz about us, some new stadiums to visit, teams we hadn't played for a few years, we were a novelty for away supporters who hadn't been at Stark's in years, etc. I used to go places like Firhill, Dens Park and Palmerston and there was absolutely nothing from the home support in terms of atmopshere etc. How depressing, I thought, but now sadly we're one of those clubs.

It's outright boredom. We've been playing to stay in the league with zero chance of promotion (10/11 aside, obviously) since we came up. You can make admission free and sack any player who plays a long ball, we won't get fans in because Raith Rovers v Morton happens four times a season, every season. At the end of the season we all trade players around a bit and it begins again. Hopefully the play-offs bring some excitement to mid-table but until we get towards the end of the season we'll see little effect where they're concerned, I fear.

I don't think its a financial thing. I honestly reckon they could make it £5 to get in and we wouldn't break the 2500 mark.

I don't think its to do with the quality because this starting 11, on paper, is the best we've had for a while and people didn't turn up for the first few games of the season.

I don't think league reconstruction will help very much.

I have as much money as I did back then but I just don't feel like going to the football and the hockey on a Saturday is worth the day out anymore. I more or less go out of habit but its not the big day out to the football that it once was to me. I used to go to nearly every away game. I'll be surprised if I go to 5 this season.

As I mentioned I go watch the Flyers. They got over 1700 for a friendly vs Dundee 2 weeks ago and averaged something like 1500 last season. They are getting people through the door and its the same price as the football. They don't seem to do anything dramatic to promote the club. They do however emphasis the family sport part of it. That makes a huge difference to some people.

have to disagree it is financial along with poor quality/football on show.our 11 on paper may well be better than it has been for a few years but the football on show outwith two cup ties and second half against dundee ain`t been good and certainly wouldn`t bring back any floaters . as for the flyers affecting our support.to me your either a hockey/flyers supporter or a football supporter.hockey/flyers certainly doesn`t do anything for me

It's pretty obvious that a winning team, playing attractive football, is the only thing that might get people back in the stadium and get a bit of atmosphere back about the place.

this

have to disagree it is financial along with poor quality/football on show.our 11 on paper may well be better than it has been for a few years but the football on show outwith two cup ties and second half against dundee ain`t been good and certainly wouldn`t bring back any floaters . as for the flyers affecting our support.to me your either a hockey/flyers supporter or a football supporter.hockey/flyers certainly doesn`t do anything for me

this

Yeah but the floaters will stay away anyway. Since they aren't at the ground to see us play, how do they know what style of football we play, and probably only take a fleeting glance at match reports either in the FFP, or the tarot card readings that pass for match reports in the Sunday papers.

Ultimately, the only season of late where we've seen folk coming back on a regular basis was when we were winning every week and going for the title. And I know that you, certainly, will have balked at the direct style of football we played then. Folk follow success, not style - though style can bring about success, it's only the former that excites people beyond the purist to motivate them to come.

As for the second point, it doesn't matter what it looks like 'to you' the simple emprical fact is that Flyers relative success means that folk go and watch them, and on a limited budget, they will pick Flyers over the Rovers. I know several folk: proper Rovers die hards, who follow the Flyers down to Cardiff and Sheffield, or even just save their money for the saturday night to watch the hockey instead of the fitba (does anyone know a more direct game than Ice Hockey FFS). They aren't purists and they aren't die hards, most of these folk, they just want to spend their money and come out of it with some kind of a high, and that's what winning does, not playing with skill and technique - but winning.

Folk like you and me and the rest who follow the Rovers home and away, we're a bunch of sad sack anaroaks following a particularly esoteric hobby. We're like those guys who build O gauge railways in their back gardens, the guys in historical recreation societies. We are geeks, proper nerds for lower league football. Football long ago stopped being the game for the masses, and it's only us who sit there every saturday and think about the purity of the game and the technique.

Edited by renton

Yeah but the floaters will stay away anyway. Since they aren't at the ground to see us play, how do they know what style of football we play, and probably only take a fleeting glance at match reports either in the FFP, or the tarot card readings that pass for match reports in the Sunday papers.

Ultimately, the only season of late where we've seen folk coming back on a regular basis was when we were winning every week and going for the title. And I know that you, certainly, will have balked at the direct style of football we played then. Folk follow success, not style - though style can bring about success, it's only the former that excites people beyond the purist to motivate them to come.

As for the second point, it doesn't matter what it looks like 'to you' the simple emprical fact is that Flyers relative success means that folk go and watch them, and on a limited budget, they will pick Flyers over the Rovers. I know several folk: proper Rovers die hards, who follow the Flyers down to Cardiff and Sheffield, or even just save their money for the saturday night to watch the hockey instead of the fitba (does anyone know a more direct game than Ice Hockey FFS). They aren't purists and they aren't die hards, most of these folk, they just want to spend their money and come out of it with some kind of a high, and that's what winning does, not playing with skill and technique - but winning.

Folk like you and me and the rest who follow the Rovers home and away, we're a bunch of sad sack anaroaks following a particularly esoteric hobby. We're like those guys who build O gauge railways in their back gardens, the guys in historical recreation societies. We are geeks, proper nerds for lower league football. Football long ago stopped being the game for the masses, and it's only us who sit there every saturday and think about the purity of the game and the technique.

I await the time when you go cold turkey from the Rovers and see a baby with Mcgurns head taunt at you from the ceiling

its been a long day

. as for the flyers affecting our support.to me your either a hockey/flyers supporter or a football supporter.hockey/flyers certainly doesn`t do anything for me   

What a load of pish.

I like both. Infact a lot of people like both. I gave an example of probably one of the most 'diehard' rovers fans I know now doing both due to the link between the clubs last season. Just because you don't like both doesn't mean others can't.

For me it's lack of enthusiasm, rather than the cost, that stops me attending. Although, I still think the admission costs are too high.

There was a buzz about the place when the takeover was ongoing, but that's disappeared.

It's pretty obvious that a winning team, playing attractive football, is the only thing that might get people back in the stadium and get a bit of atmosphere back about the place.

Not been a factor so far, but the weather is another factor most of the time. I mean look at that out there at the moment! Fucking grim. You wake up thinking, you fancy going to a game, then you open the curtains and it often doesn't seem like a great idea.

A mate of mine is part of the Celtic FFIT team (football fans in training). They are looking for teams who they can play against. He asked if there are Raith fans interested in making a team.

The criteria are that you have to be over 40 and that you are not an ex player.

Firstly I’m trying to see if there is enough interest for it (11-14 players are needed). If so, then the details are going to be worked out (where, when, etc.)

So...are there any fans who are interested?

Let me know on here or sent me a PM (also if you have any questions).

Weird post here but hoping someone can help. My old man likes a look at the official site for the reports, vids etc but on the ipad it comes up with a background which appears to be like a wallpaper of multiple versions of the picture when Vaughan signed his contract and thus he can't see or click on anything else. I've reloaded it, deleted the history and a few other simple things (I'm no great with technology to be fair) but still the same. Webpage is fine on my ipad. Anyone know how to sort this? Don't need to clog this thread up any more than I already have but a PM if you have the answer would be gratefully recieved.