The New Raith Rovers Thread

No excuses. Need to show Annan the respect they deserve, but we MUST win that game. Would give the club a massive boost to be in a final.

Financially, its our biggest cup game in a wee while. The Celtic ones were good last year, a welcome boost on two occasions. But to potentially face a Sevco team with 40,000/50,000 fans would be ridiculously good for us.

Getting more and more impressed with Murrays team as the weeks progress. We're not firing on all cylinders but we're winning games and scoring some good, flowing goals. We won't win the league but at this point we can be optimistic about being in the play offs. Long may it last

I've not yet seen anything to suggest that we can't compete for the title.

Pre-season favourites like Dundee & Falkirk didn't look anything special.

If we're still hanging around the top come the next transfer window and are somehow able to add a bit of depth, I see no reason why we can't be contenders.

It's the lack of depth that means we won't be able to compete long term. Hopefully we can keep it going as long as possible

Agree with this.

I think we have enough to compete for the playoffs, but It's a case of not suffering the same start well and slump pattern that our seasons tend to follow. In saying that, I believe we have more quality in the squad this time around, even allowing for our lack of depth.

Injuries will cost us if they mount up. Hopefully we can avoid them as much as possible.

We've started well; let's keep it going and not get too carried away.

It's the lack of depth that means we won't be able to compete long term. Hopefully we can keep it going as long as possible

Agreed. I would also suggest that by the time we've played the first quarter we'll have played Hamilton, Dundee and Falkirk - probably the top three favourites in anyone's book - all at home. Things like that can give a 'false' table at an early stage.

I said last week that a home match against Alloa was a big indicator of where we are. A good win in a game we'd often lose/draw, especially after going behind, is promising. A home match next week against a Falkirk side going well is another big test. If we wanted to compete seriously for the league title I would suggest, were we to lose/draw, one or two points from nine against the sides around you at home isn't going to cut it.

At this stage I'd hope we can be in amongst the play-off hunt, anywhere between 2nd-5th for most of the season. Sadly it does rely on injuries though.

Edit: aye, and we are traditionally good starters. We have eleven points, had ten at this stage last season. No need to get carried away but promising signs.

Edited by Paco

I didn't actually make it to the Alloa game yesterday, ended up watching Glenrothes lose to Arniston instead. Regular readers might be interested to know that I thought the ref had a proper 'mare.

A massive positive we should be taking is we're not necessarily playing to our full potential (imo) yet picking up results and sitting in 2nd position. There are elements of our play we can improve on and you just have to wonder what we're capable of if we do iron out any glitches and play a more consistent high tempo game.

I've said this before, but our biggest problem last season was not spreading out the goals enough. We had Graham banging them in consistently, Spence got a good tally for his first season too, and Walker and Anderson ocassionally chipped in but more often than not it was the same names appearing week in week out. We need for consistency and Saturday showed signs of that. All of our goals had something positive about them.

Hopefully, our positive results can see the crowds pick up. I'm not expecting us to bounce right up to 2,000 each week, but gradually if we carry on as we are then we can hopefully see a gradual increase.

I wish folk would shut up about a possible final against Sevco, we have a tough tie against an Annan side who seem to be playing well (& of course Stenny can pull off a shock)

It's not just a dig at you Wee Sandy, I've seen folk talking about where the final should be played, projected crowds & income etc, its a wee bit disrespectful of Annan IMO & it wouldn't surprise me if we fell on our pusses in the semi.

I wish folk would shut up about a possible final against Sevco, we have a tough tie against an Annan side who seem to be playing well (& of course Stenny can pull off a shock)

It's not just a dig at you Wee Sandy, I've seen folk talking about where the final should be played, projected crowds & income etc, its a wee bit disrespectful of Annan IMO & it wouldn't surprise me if we fell on our pusses in the semi.

I don't see the problem with that. We all know Annan will provide a good test in the semi final. Nobody expects any less.

With regards to the goal scorer im happier that goals are being spread through the team, remember that Anderson hit a decent total last season as well and Cardle looks like he will chip in with a few. The problem with having one person being the source of your goals what if he gets injured/suspended? Im confident that Spence will get into double figures again this season with the support that Elliot is giving him

If we do want to bring in another player we are as well making it a loan signing. Better to assess at the end of the season when we know what players we have kept hold of and also the potential extra revenue from the league finish

If we are lucky/good enough to get to a final against Rangers then I would like to see us use the money to buy/fix starks park.

The match experience is terrible due to no atmosphere even in big games its poor. Id like to see us fix the railway stand.

Our problem is that we dont own starks park and are paying rent. The owner of the staduim has (or almost) made his money back through rent. I dont think there is a que of people wanting to rent or buy starks park, with morrisons down the road and housing not selling I cant see who would want to buy it. It would be great to offer to buy it back for a small fee, 20k or something and tell the owner if he declines we will ground share (east fife) and he will be left with an empty worthless staduim. I love my team and love playing at starks park but more than ever now I think its a poor place to watch football. Paying rent is a massive problem for the club, around 5k a month is a lot of money that can be invested in the team.