The New Raith Rovers Thread

I see where you're coming from re crowds. However, with the new play-offs it's likely that we, and several other clubs, will have much more to play for toward the end of the season. This should ensure that crowds at least don't tail off and may even lead to bigger games in April/ May. Should we make the playoffs then we'd be guaranteed at least one healthy additional home crowd and related hospitality opportunities.

The cup draws are excellent financially and should ensure, regardless of result, that we make a tidy profit from both these cups this season. Makes a great change from getting papped oot in the first round to Albion Rovers....

Decent performances/ results will definitely have a positive impact on League attendances and will further add to the surplus.

Add in the extra income we should recieve from the new distribution model we should be able to take a significant chunk out of our debt again this season, even if crowds generally remain the same per match.

Small steps, but going the right way in difficult times.

^^^This, exactly how i'm feeling. Especially the last sentence.

Wilson was subbed off in a game against Stranraer in November 2006, then I think I'm right in saying he didn't miss a single minute of football until being subbed off 19 minutes into an Inverness game in October 2009 (and missed his first game the following weekend).

In 2010/11 my recollection is that he missed a game through illness or something and then couldn't get his place back for a while as the team was going so well.

He broke his wrist as I recall, and missed the rest of the season. We then signed Gatthuesi. In 10/11, he was sadly quite poor over the season, which goes some way towards explaining why Murray was played at RB.

The drop in prices was because it wasn't a bit draw for the 2 respective cup games so it was insentive to get people in to try and boost the crowd. for this game there is no need for that as it is a big game and £17 is fair enough

To be honest £17 is never going to be fair enough at this level of football. I understand why clubs put prices so high because they have to balance the books, but going forward clubs have to look at reducing entry prices. I feel that if it was £10 every wk people in time would start drifting back and crowds would increase.

Sorry to totally verge off topic, but how on earth is Craig Wilson playing for Ballingry Rovers these days? I would never have thought he'd be any lower than the top of of League One at the age of 27. He wasn't spectacular, but he was a solid defender and comfortable on the ball going forward. Does anybody have the faintest what happened to him?

Quite shocked at this. Always thought he was fairly solid for us

To be honest £17 is never going to be fair enough at this level of football. I understand why clubs put prices so high because they have to balance the books, but going forward clubs have to look at reducing entry prices. I feel that if it was £10 every wk people in time would start drifting back and crowds would increase.

But in that time, in order to balance the books, the club would have dropped down the leagues as we couldn't afford anything resembling a team good enough for this level which wouldn't exactly have fans coming back.

Let's face it, prices are never going to be at the level they were in the 90s again, and Rovers won't double their average attendance (which would be needed to break even at £10).

What are your thoughts on Dave Smith, lads?

You'll have seen more of him than most of us have - what's his best position? Is he a winger? Have you seen him play through the middle as a striker? Is he just not that great? Or his he just ok?

Very lightweight but has potential. Played mainly on the wing for us, if i remember correctly, and started really well but faded towards the end of his 2nd loan spell

Very lightweight but has potential. Played mainly on the wing for us, if i remember correctly, and started really well but faded towards the end of his 2nd loan spell

Cheers for that, Kev - got a good look at him on the flanks today. I have to say I thought he put in a tremendous shift - very impressed.

Cheers for that, Kev - got a good look at him on the flanks today. I have to say I thought he put in a tremendous shift - very impressed.

Watched the game today and Smith did quite well, probably more effective than Walker was.

When he was with us he always struck me as the sort of player that if he beat his man early on he'd go on and have a good game while if he didn't he'd end up disappearing for the rest of the game.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Watched the game today and Smith did quite well, probably more effective than Walker was.

When he was with us he always struck me as the sort of player that if he beat his man early on he'd go on and have a good game while if he didn't he'd end up disappearing for the rest of the game.

Aye, confidence is a massive factor for young players.

Walker has more to offer than we've seen this season, but it's early days, obviously.

Smith did more in terms of tracking back, and gave everything he had - that's about as much as we can ask for.

Anyway, I should get the f**k off your thread.

Good luck, guys!

Sorry to totally verge off topic, but how on earth is Craig Wilson playing for Ballingry Rovers these days? I would never have thought he'd be any lower than the top of of League One at the age of 27. He wasn't spectacular, but he was a solid defender and comfortable on the ball going forward. Does anybody have the faintest what happened to him?

Aren't Ballingry getting bank-rolled by Wullie Gray since he left East Fife? I thought Bobby Linn was rumoured to have gone there for a decent wedge too.