The New Raith Rovers Thread

After Brechin s first ever season in old div 1'. 1984 season , you guys were relegated but still managed to beat us 6 0 ,Jim kerr had 4 that day n we signed him. It was last game of the season ...

Ah I remember that one. Must have been the second last game of the season as we were relegated on the last day after Ayr unexpectedly won against Dumbarton while we beat Meadowbank 2-1 in Edinburgh

Same season we beat Stenny 7-2 at Home then lost 0-6 at Meadowbank, I seem to recall the Ferranti Th defeat cost Bobby Wilson his job (Barry's dad) in the same (if reversed) way that Berwicks 6-0 cup defeat cost Andy Matthew his job 7 days before we beat them 7-1 in 1978,

I recall us getting horsed out the cup 0-6 at Berwick only to meet them the following week at Starks and give them a 7-1 humping in return. Brian (?) Forrest scoring four on his debut.

Of course, that's when away trips were done by horse and carriage :P

I liked the look of the team, Murray his put together a team that works hard and can play a bit football. One observation was that there was a lack of movement in the first quater, they were a wee bit too static. Not sure if it was fitness levels are not there yet but one or two a looked a bit slow. Better teams might get at them early doors, Queens started faster and if they were better could of caused problems. Overall if we can stay away from injury and keep players past christmas I am optismistic that we will have a good season.

I recall us getting horsed out the cup 0-6 at Berwick only to meet them the following week at Starks and give them a 7-1 humping in return. Brian (?) Forrest scoring four on his debut.

Of course, that's when away trips were done by horse and carriage :P

Gordon Forrest

Stenhousemuir was 9-2 Scotty. We were 6-0 up at half time if I remember correctly.

I was at the 0-6 Meadowbank humping. Rovers fans arguing amongst themselves and embarrassingly it remains in the reord books forever more as Meadowbank's biggest win

Yes of course it was nine, not so much a typo as a brain fart!

Funny thing is I was talking to my cousin at the time of typing and he never picked up on it despite his being at the game too.

While we're looking back I was driving through Girvan the other week and had fond memories of the supporters bus stopping there on the way to Stranraer in 87. Immediately started boring the whole car about the unlikely swing in goal difference we needed to get promoted that day and how it all unfolded - including the butt clenching final few minutes. I've still got some of the grass from Stair Park in a box somewhere. Happy days

I liked the look of the team, Murray his put together a team that works hard and can play a bit football. One observation was that there was a lack of movement in the first quater, they were a wee bit too static. Not sure if it was fitness levels are not there yet but one or two a looked a bit slow. Better teams might get at them early doors, Queens started faster and if they were better could of caused problems. Overall if we can stay away from injury and keep players past christmas I am optismistic that we will have a good season.

I think with a lot of lower div teams in the cup are more psyched up and the adrenaline is pumping and they start off at a high tempo. Think it was the few stray passes at the start for us that kept us quiet for the first 10 mins against QP

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Remember chaps, Rock the Rovers 9 is on Sunday 25 August at Kitties/Kandy, the more the merrier.

All day tickets £10.00.

There is no excuse not to attend, get your arse out of bed and get down there.

Theres a group on facebook for those wanting more details, also did a quick topic on the music forum here and tweeted it so if anyone has me on twitter pc_1982 please retweet it for me

Def make a better account of ourselves, Watson will have had alot more game time and time to gel with Dougie at the back. Laidlaw had a rare off day tho McGurn will most likely be playing, teh team will get better as we get on in the league as well. Should be a good game