The New Raith Rovers Thread

The boy's only 22. Davie McGurn didn't join Morton from Hillwood Boys Club until he was 23, and didn't get a minute of senior game time until he was 24. Ross Laidlaw might never make it at this level, but it's far too early to say. With nearly 40 appearances already, he's got more experience than just about every other Scottish keeper his age, and as good a chance as any.

Zander Clark is 22. He made his 50th appearance for us last weekend and spent time on loan to Elgin for half a season before that.

Laid law is a capable keeper he makes good reaction saves. However he is also prone to a complete lack of common sense and is a confidence player. So when he invariably fucks something up his confidence is shot.

Now he might grow out of it with age and experience but I have my doubts.

Regardless playing behind mckeown and Perry is a thankless task.

As far as the 'keeper situation goes - if McGurn stays he's the number one and I imagine we'd struggle to keep another 'keeper of Cuthbert's quality once his own current contract is out (presumably in the summer?).

Laidlaw is indeed young for a 'keeper. That you can point to others who are already great at a younger age is neither here nor there - there are loads, McGurn included, who never really established themselves until quite a bit later than that. I don't know how good Laidlaw will be or how long it might take him to be it but to write him off at this stage is just daft. He's got many of the attributes of a potentially good 'keeper, but he needs to learn not to let it get to him when he makes a mistake. Loaning him out would probably be a good idea if there's an offer available.

Just curious, more so to them who don't think McKay is a good capture, even as a squad player to bolster Ando/Conroy, what else would everyone like during this window ? Obviously loans will probably be our only signings ...

For me I still think we need full back cover, preferably a LB, but really Thompson/McKeown need someone in there to help if injury occurs or McKeown has his usual bombscare games, I suppose Barr can play LB but with Perry going out you would think he would be a cover for Hill/Watson ....

Also wouldn't mind another Striker, I really like Vaughan, but if Murray doesn't have the balls to play him regularly then loan him out and bring someone else in ....

If Calum Elliot can return to form it would be like getting a new player in. We really miss the real Calum Elliot. The guy is 27, so in Scottish player terms he should be coming into his prime. I noticed flashes of the pre-Xmas 2013 Calum Elliot against Falkirk, hopefully he can continue in that vein against Cowdenbeath on the 3rd and show us what we've been missing.

That Rangers don't want McKay back even after selling Lewis MacLeod is a bit odd. Even more so, given the recent change in management - you'd expect it to be all hands on deck.

Hopefully Perry will be shown the door in the coming days.

We need a left back. McKeown hasn't been good enough this season but has kept playing because he has to. In truth we could do with a striker too, given our shortcomings in front of goal, but that may be harder to justify.

As for Laidlaw, he's played enough games to form a reasonable opinion, and he's not good enough. Not a bad player, but has cost us too often.