The New Raith Rovers Thread

If I was a director I’d consider managers with a proven track record.

Allan Johnstone – 80% win rate with QoS and 30% with Kilmarnock

Gary Bollan – 57% with Livingston and 38% with Airdrie

Stephen Aitken – 44% with Stranraer

Only Johnstone comes with no baggage, has a decent win rate and has managed in the top tier so he'd be my choice.

Anyone else out there?

Allan Johnston was brilliant in League 1 for Queens but he struggled at Killie. It would certainly be a gamble and I'd be keen to hear the thoughts of fans from both those clubs.

Gary Bollan has done well with both clubs he's managed but he's untested as this level and it would be a bit of a gamble.

Stephen Aitken has shown what can be done at a club with a lesser budget. Like Bollan he's untested but that's not necessarily a bad thing. My main concern for him though would be that Stranraer could be involved in the play-offs until mid-May and I'd doubt he'd come and speak to us during that time. If we waited until after then there's no guarantee he'd even come.

I'd be really excited by Darren Young or Barry Robson but I suppose any appointment would be a gamble. I mean who ever though Tommy Wright at Saints, or John Hughes at Calley, or Alex Reid at Hamilton would be the successes they were?

I see McBookie are offering 25/1 on John Hartson and Billy Davies!

Good luck to Murray in the future. The cup wins over Rangers and Hibs were all a bit of a giggle, but our league form was pretty grim. I thought that he'd be in a slightly more difficult position when Turnbull Hutton stepped down last year, as my understanding was that Hutton was a huge fan of him. Interesting to see where we go from here though.

The problem with Derek Adams is that he's possibly the most unpopular man in Scottish football, and I'm including Jamie Hamill in that equation.

I don't think it's a coincidence that he signed so many players from abroad, I think he did that as players who are familiar with him don't want anything to do with him.

He's had success though, and would be an understandable appointment, hence the fact I've just stuck a whopping £1 on him with McBookie. A few months ago I doubt he'd have been interested, but he's probably lowered his horizons after failing to get a Premiership post.

I'd like to see us go for McKinnon or Aitken if they're interested though, or possibly take a punt on Barry Robson who I think comes across reasonably well, and is looking to become a manager from what I gather. Maybe seen as a bit risky however.

The rest of the list is pretty uninspiring though. I reckon Allan Johnston would be a poor appointment, and Pressley is all style and no substance.

very much this

adams and malpas,thats some pairing,probably the dourest pair of hoors in scottish football.

however if it was to be them and they did the biz couldnt care

Edited by Rovers_Lad

Derek Adams is possibly the worst man in Scottish Football the world. I'd never want him and his old man anywhere near my club.

Each to their own I suppose. But expect an unnaturally high turnover of players as he and his Dad individually take the time to fall out with each and every one of them.

When did this incident happen to you?

Do you still keep in contact with the barmaid?

Do you have a sofa in your bedsit or are you still sitting on.a deck chair?

Not a deck chair, one of those inflatable armchairs. Much easier to get out of...

I would have given Murray another season remember which gives an indication of the choice I'd have made if I ever found myself in the barmaid scenario, which alas due to my unfortunate facial features, I never have.

“I would like to go to a football club where they’re maybe struggling, they’ve lost their way and it’s about putting a structure in place that will help them get promoted."

Does that not sound more like us rather than Raith?

Not a deck chair, one of those inflatable armchairs. Much easier to get out of...

I would have given Murray another season remember which gives an indication of the choice I'd have made if I ever found myself in the barmaid scenario, which alas due to my unfortunate facial features, I never have.

Probably easier to wipe down to, after 'watching' Babestation.

Babestation? The Internet! It's the future, Gadge!

The barmaid is overrated. Is Derek Adams the barmaid in the analogy? Does that mean Granty boy is the wife we've cheated on? What about Deek Adams dad, where does he fit in?

Jefferies took Falkirk into the Premier League as champions by the time he was 40, and before that his record at Berwick remains unrivaled. Yes, there's no comparison between Murray and Jefferies.

Noted but Murray has only been a manager for nearly 3 years. First club to start his experience off unlike Jeffrey's who did semi pro and Berwick. As I said give Murray a chance before comparisons start!

Personally putting Derek "Doorey" Adams grumpyness aside, I'd be delighted if we got him ... Lets not forget he took County on a small budget up 2 divisions and into the SPL, reached 2 Challenge Cup finals and a Scottish cup final over his spells ...

That's the thing that annoyed me most with Murray, on paper we are not a bad team, but he just couldn't seem to get the best out the players ... Anybody coming into the Club knows we are literally debt free, surely now have a bigger budget than usual thanks to the 3 "SPL" Clubs this season and as i say have an ok structure to build on ...

Not sure why a few fans are looking at this as a negative doom and gloom situation, i for one am rather excited about where we can go from here !

Edited by ADMO

I presume you've bought your season ticket for next season already?

If you were against watching the club with Murray in charge why did you buy a season ticket when he was in charge with no indication that he will be gone for next season?

because I'm not a stupid fan who supports the manager , I support the team?

Interestingly the budget for Murray was already set prior to his dismissal and he was made aware of what his budget would be. I'm assuming we'll have paid off the remainder of his contract so wonder if that will effect the budget. Hope it's not a case of 'well you's (fans) wanted rid of him now we've got f**k all left to spend on the squad, good one fans.....anyhoo, want to buy a season ticket?'

Personally putting Derek "Doorey" Adams grumpyness aside, I'd be delighted if we got him ... Lets not forget he took County on a small budget up 2 divisions and into the SPL, reached 2 Challenge Cup finals and a Scottish cup final over his spells ...

That's the thing that annoyed me most with Murray, on paper we are not a bad team, but he just couldn't seem to get the best out the players ... Anybody coming into the Club knows we are literally debt free, surely now have a bigger budget than usual thanks to the 3 "SPL" Clubs this season and as i say have an ok structure to build on ...

Not sure why a few fans are looking at this as a negative doom and gloom situation, i for one am rather excited about where we can go from here !

literally debt free,did a supporter win the lottery?

Interestingly the budget for Murray was already set prior to his dismissal and he was made aware of what his budget would be. I'm assuming we'll have paid off the remainder of his contract so wonder if that will effect the budget. Hope it's not a case of 'well you's (fans) wanted rid of him now we've got f**k all left to spend on the squad, good one fans.....anyhoo, want to buy a season ticket?'

Who knows what's in his contract. It's likely he'll get paid monthly until it's up but it could be he gets a lump sum. Ellis's contract will also be a factor in all of this because if we can't afford to sack him the new manager won't be able to bring in his own man (and will have to agree to that).

Adams clearly fancies it. A good way of him putting his hat in the ring by speaking to STV. But then again, a lot of football managers with nothing else on at the moment will feel likewise. What I'm interested in is that Adams appears to be coming from exactly the same sort of angle as the board were - potential, looking to progress etc.

Unless we'd be looking at someone like Aitken or MacKinnon, who are under contract elsewhere, I think he is the best from what is available in Scotland. Further afield, who knows?

We do have to be a bit realistic about the likely candidates though - most if not all will all have failed somewhere at some point (or they wouldn't be looking for a job with Raith Rovers). Alan Johnson is a great example here, as he was brilliant with QoS but a failure at Killie. Some have, of course, failed in more places than others, but we can't write them all off on the basis of one bad job.