The New Raith Rovers Thread

He has a Brechin connection, so maybe...

Pretty sure renton already called that one a few pages back. Nothing to say we will sign him, but it's very plausible. Is he pish, like?

Edit: it was donny86 who called Tapping earlier.

Edited by Michael W

Just watched this boy, Craig Wighton, on You Tube scoring at various levels, from SPL to Development League.

He is very coll headed and also intelligent on the ball. I think he could have an immense impact at Stark's.

As for concerns re'Vaughan, of whom I'm a fan, I think they will compliment each other onfield.

We could have a few more penalties coming our way in the new season, I think some of the bigger defenders are gonna have their hands really full with these two, plus Mark Stewart!! :thumsup2

These were the only two goals that Craig Wighton scored for Brechin (last game on loan) when he was on loan. He really showed his pace for the first one after Craig Molloy punts the ball forward for him to latch onto. I think his best performance was against Forfar a few weeks prior to it. You could see that his touch, awareness and skills outshone most of the other players on the pitch that day.

I've been keeping an eye on this thread since Ray moved on and certainly by the looks of things there will be somewhat of a 'Brechin reunion' when we play you in the pre season friendly next month :thumsup2

Some good early business by you guys so far. Wighton will probably be a complete revelation or end up back at Dundee in a couple of months in a huff, probably not much room for middle ground on that one though and prepare for it all it be your fault if it goes wrong.

Afraid to say I'm pretty ignorant of a lot of the teams down here apart from the basics. Confident of challenging for the play-offs? Should be a very interesting league with 4 or 5 teams challenging for what you imagine will be two play off spots.

Some good early business by you guys so far. Wighton will probably be a complete revelation or end up back at Dundee in a couple of months in a huff, probably not much room for middle ground on that one though and prepare for it all it be your fault if it goes wrong.

Afraid to say I'm pretty ignorant of a lot of the teams down here apart from the basics. Confident of challenging for the play-offs? Should be a very interesting league with 4 or 5 teams challenging for what you imagine will be two play off spots.

More confident of challenging under ray than I was under Grant, that's all that can really be said for that..

Confident of challenging for the play-offs?

Not really, no. Not that I'm not hopeful, the new manager is making all the right noises and there are some interesting signings. But looking at the league, it's easier to see clubs who are likely to finish above us than below us. There's one fewer part-time team this year too, and Livingston may not be as bad again.

6th / 7th place is our natural home. Any improvement on that would be a bonus.

Edited by Yoss

At the moment, no. I'm not convinced what we have now is better than last year's squad, although the squad is still far from complete.

What really matters, I think, is good management. There are probably a lot of players at this level who are all very similar and it's really a case of getting the best out of them. I think that was the main area of where Murray underachieved - he couldn't get the best out of what was actually pretty decent squad. Time will tell what McKinnon can do, but his record so far looks decent.

We're looking at a tougher league than last season too.

As others have said. Can't see us doing too much. While I'd love to be proven wrong, a lot of our signings seem to be either players who have played with McKinnon before (Petrie, Megginson) or those who have previously come through the youth systems of larger teams and have then failed to make the grade (all of the new signings so far). That isn't to say it's all doom. Take Ryan McCord for instance, he's a player who has looked solid at this level for some time and is taking an opportunity to come back full time.

I'd love to be surprised, but I think that aside from Rangers, Hibs and St Mirren, Falkirk will probably reach the playoffs comfortably. I don't know too much of their dealings so far, but I'd imagine they'll keep the core of their team aside from Loy. In my opinion, next season probably won't hold massive surprises for us.