The New Raith Rovers Thread

Craigen is our most technically gifted player, to suggest he's a "passenger" is laughable. The only player I've ever seen for us who can take corners and free kicks with both feet. Him and Callachan don't hide and always make themselves available for the ball even when things aren't going well, thus why they're getting it tight just now.

The way McKinnon is talking in that interview it sounds like we tried to sign Sutton outright, but because he's got 18 months left on his deal it was too expensive.

The point I was trying to make is that we have 11 midfield players (if you include the wide players) and I accept that some are being used to shore up the defence just now but how many do we really need? Some need to go on loan. The wages saved can pay for a second striker. SIMPLES.

He's not offered enough when starting matches, much like Wighton. No hard feelings, it just hasn't worked and if we can get rid of him for a new striker then I'd be happy to do so - I'm sure Megginson himself would be too.

Rovers have a Norwegian striker on trial I believe. He's foreign so I suggest we all look up the dates of the play-off final.

Unless Megginson is being moved out to bring someone else in this makes little sense. It means Longridge will be our only proper left sided player and he has hardly set the world alight in his 2 matches so far.

I feel for Megginson as he's really hardly had a solid run in the team, unlike Daly and Robertson who seemed immune from being dropped. It's hard to build up any king of momentum when you are in and out as often as he has been.

As for not offering much I can't think of any player who has offered a lot in the past 3 months and this is when he has started most of his matches. He's a wide player who wanted to get on the ball and certainly was not suited to the long ball game we adopted with Daly.

Unless Megginson is being moved out to bring someone else in this makes little sense. It means Longridge will be our only proper left sided player and he has hardly set the world alight in his 2 matches so far.

I feel for Megginson as he's really hardly had a solid run in the team, unlike Daly and Robertson who seemed immune from being dropped. It's hard to build up any king of momentum when you are in and out as often as he has been.

As for not offering much I can't think of any player who has offered a lot in the past 3 months and this is when he has started most of his matches. He's a wide player who wanted to get on the ball and certainly was not suited to the long ball game we adopted with Daly.

Well, not quite - assuming a 4-4-2 formation, you currently have Anderson, Connolly, Longridge, Craigen (yes, he's better as a centre and not a 'winger' but he's a regular starter in that wide position) and Megginson who can play wide, I don't think any of them are natural left footers and all tend to want to cut inside if played on the left. That's not an unusual position to be in (in fact Anderson looked decent on the left when Murray had him and Cardle switching wings). If we were feeling fairly flush with strikers it's not unknown for Stewart to play out wide as well. A more fluid formation like a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 means even less incentive for those playing 'wide' positions to stick rigidly to one wing or to be naturally left footed. So in that sense, I can see why Megginson might be crowded out.

Edited by renton

He isn't, he does have bad games - like any player, but he always looks to get involved and try things. Sometimes it doesn't work - but it's completely wrong to refer to him as a 'passenger'.

If anyone is going out on loan (or having their contract torn up in disgust by an angry, hyperbolic Martin Nelson) it'll be Petrie (Obvious) and I suspect Megginson as well. With Anderson now fit, and with Connolly probably preferred in that wide role, Longridge able to play there as well as Craigen who usually starts on one side, then another striker would bump Megginson way down the pecking order - and I imagine he wouldn't be happy with that if nothing else.

Angry, hyperbolic, subjective etc etc.

You do realise that Martin Nelson and Author Unknown ( he of Fantalk "fame") are scarily alike in their views of all things "Raith"....?..;)

Jacko played a major role in getting Mitch to join us a few years back, and he had him playing the best football of his career when he was with us.

Seeing him going to one of our closest rivals is going to make me pretty sad :( I don't know why, but I had a wee thing for Mitch :wub:

Well, not quite - assuming a 4-4-2 formation, you currently have Anderson, Connolly, Longridge, Craigen (yes, he's better as a centre and not a 'winger' but he's a regular starter in that wide position) and Megginson who can play wide, I don't think any of them are natural left footers and all tend to want to cut inside if played on the left. That's not an unusual position to be in (in fact Anderson looked decent on the left when Murray had him and Cardle switching wings). If we were feeling fairly flush with strikers it's not unknown for Stewart to play out wide as well. A more fluid formation like a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 means even less incentive for those playing 'wide' positions to stick rigidly to one wing or to be naturally left footed. So in that sense, I can see why Megginson might be crowded out.

Yes they can all play there but the argument would be that surely Megginson is the best option? Anderson is never a left sided player, he struggles to cross with his right foot and got knows what he'd do on the other flank.

I just don't think at this stage of the season it's a good decision to be getting rid of a useful attacking player, unless he is clearly unhappy and has asked to leave for guaranteed first team football which I presume Alloa would give him.

I just think that it limits our options again, especially with young Robertson also being released (granted he never really got any first team experience). If, for example, Longridge got injured Craigan would be out only wide left option and not a great one at that and as Connolly showed on Saturday he's a right sided player who wants likes to also play in the number 10 position.

Of course if this allows a striker to come into the club instead then it's understandable but I'm not sure, from what I've seen so far, that Longridge is any better than Megginson.

I think Megginson just ran out of chances to be honest. A few great cameo appearances as a sub but didn't do enough any time he was given a start. I wish him all the best.

I disagree, I think it is good to have a potential match winner on the bench, a bit like Spence, not good enough for 90 but can do enough in 30 to change a game

Yes they can all play there but the argument would be that surely Megginson is the best option? Anderson is never a left sided player, he struggles to cross with his right foot and got knows what he'd do on the other flank.

I just don't think at this stage of the season it's a good decision to be getting rid of a useful attacking player, unless he is clearly unhappy and has asked to leave for guaranteed first team football which I presume Alloa would give him.

I just think that it limits our options again, especially with young Robertson also being released (granted he never really got any first team experience). If, for example, Longridge got injured Craigan would be out only wide left option and not a great one at that and as Connolly showed on Saturday he's a right sided player who wants likes to also play in the number 10 position.

Of course if this allows a striker to come into the club instead then it's understandable but I'm not sure, from what I've seen so far, that Longridge is any better than Megginson.

Scarily, when Anderson's played out wide left his crossing has arguably been better than on the right. Megginson is no more a 'hit the byline' type player on the left than any of the others in fairness. I still think he's been useful enough but can't be showing enough in training to impress McKinnon, and I can't imagine it either suits the player not to be playing, with decrasing prospects of doing so, or the manager who wants a different type of player to play through the middle, meaning he needs to divest himself of a couple of players.

He has contributed positively to the team, but when given a start hasn't really stood out in the way he has when coming from the bench.

Jacko played a major role in getting Mitch to join us a few years back, and he had him playing the best football of his career when he was with us.

Seeing him going to one of our closest rivals is going to make me pretty sad :( I don't know why, but I had a wee thing for Mitch :wub:

He had a pretty uninspiring loan spell with us before going to Dumbarton. If the move does indeed go through then hopefully Jack Ross can inspire him back to his Dumbarton form.

He had a pretty uninspiring loan spell with us before going to Dumbarton. If the move does indeed go through then hopefully Jack Ross can inspire him back to his Dumbarton form.

I would be surprised if he didn't. He scored 12 goals for us in that season which is comfortably the most he's scored for any club in his career. There was some good poachers finishes but also some absolute thunderpeaches within that - he even beat Chris Kane to our top scorer award (even if Kane was only here for half the season!)

I'd trust Jack Ross to get him firing back on all cylinders again. I'm starting to get a wee bit jealous of Alloa.