The New Raith Rovers Thread

4 minutes ago, fifer67 said:

For me the jury is still out on Barry Smith when he came to Bayview Gary Naysmith had done all the spade work and assembled a decent squad. Naysmith had also created a tight dressing room and all the players worked for each other. When he first took over I never seen any significant difference with tactics . We had just went on the start of a decent run and he guided us to a run of 12 or 13 games without defeat. then you could point to injuries but between the months of March and May he was responsible for some of the worst football seen at Bayview in a long time. To be honest I'm not too bothered to see him go. He seems like a decent guy but that doesn't make a good manager. Faith seem to have history on making poor managerial appointments and I have a feeling this could be another mistake from a board who seem clueless on the football front.

East Fife were ninth when Gary Naysmith left, and had won one game in nine.

Will be interesting to see who Smith brings in and if he can retain the bulk of our contracted players. Neither up nor down at this appointment at the moment and he very well might be the best of a bad bunch that were in for the job. Suppose McKinnon came to us with some iffy reviews from opposition fans and having not done all that much with Brechin (from what I remember anyway) and in the end we had a decent season with him in charge. Big season for us and a lot of pressure on Smith to get a decent squad together that can challenge for the league. My main concern at present though is getting these contracted players to stay, the bulk of them could probably cut it at Championship level (imo at least). Yes they were part of a team that went down but also part of a team the previous season that got to the promotion playoffs. They'll all be important players for us next season if they decide to stay with us. I'll feel a bit more relaxed once we know what's happening with these guys.

38 minutes ago, fifer67 said:

For me the jury is still out on Barry Smith when he came to Bayview Gary Naysmith had done all the spade work and assembled a decent squad. Naysmith had also created a tight dressing room and all the players worked for each other. When he first took over I never seen any significant difference with tactics . We had just went on the start of a decent run and he guided us to a run of 12 or 13 games without defeat. then you could point to injuries but between the months of March and May he was responsible for some of the worst football seen at Bayview in a long time. To be honest I'm not too bothered to see him go. He seems like a decent guy but that doesn't make a good manager. Faith seem to have history on making poor managerial appointments and I have a feeling this could be another mistake from a board who seem clueless on the football front.

In fairness, this board, for the most part has overseen 6 appointments since the takeover in '06: Levein, McGlynn, Murray, McKinnon, Locke and Hughes. Only the last two, in that last season there, could be said to be unqualified failures. That it happened all at once, alongside all the other dismal, dismal decisions, that Locke had such a obviously piss poor record and yet still passed muster with the board is obviously fuckwittery of the highest order, but all in all, they haven't been terrible at picking managers.

Edited by renton

2 minutes ago, renton said:

In fairness, this board, for the most part has overseen 6 appointments since the takeover in '06: Levein, McGlynn, Murray, McKinnon, Locke and Hughes. Only the last two, in that last season there, could be said to be unqualified failures. That it happened all at once, alongside all the other dismal, dismal decisions, that Locke had such a obviously piss poor record and yet still passed muster with the board is obviously fuckwittery of the highest order, but all in all, they haven't been terrible at picking managers.

Indeed. 

McGlynn - won us a league, got us to the Scottish Cup semi final and got us our highest league finish in a long time. Ever so close to pulling off the infamous '5 year plan' that gets trotted out. Football was gash at times but all in all he really turned the club around. Some great memories on that Scottish Cup run and the title winning season was great fun.

Murray  - won us a cup (aye aye diddy cup we know) and got us to the Scottish Cup quarter finals. Like McGlynn the football wasn't nice to watch but we're probably all taking mid table Championship mediocrity for granted now.

McKinnon - promo playoffs. Finished the league strongly playing some nice football.

Locke/Hughes - no comment.

We'll always be remembered for the Locke/Hughes season though.

14 minutes ago, singin am no fae killie said:

Chris Johnston raith fans 904d11c39dd20a949a0e2f1cba409cae.jpg

Wasnt given enough game time. We got the best from him playing in a free role, not tough enough, if hit early on, he goes missing! 

If he signs he would be a squad player not necessarily a starter.

I've always liked Gary Harkins. Not the fat mess version that Ayr have, more the dyamic midfielder from 5/6 years ago. Wonder if Bazza Smith could get him fit again?

I've always liked Gary Harkins. Not the fat mess version that Ayr have, more the dyamic midfielder from 5/6 years ago. Wonder if Bazza Smith could get him fit again?

I'm pretty sure Morton have beat you to it