The New Raith Rovers Thread

Well indeed, 18 would leave me in a world of magical lollipops and fluffy bunnies.

What would leave me with that feeling is eventually playing our own 19 year old strikers and not other teams. NOT a criticism of Stephen Reynolds, just an exasperation once again at our lack of progress in that particular area.

edited for "ph" version and not "v" version

Edited by pantene proV

Well indeed, 18 would leave me in a world of magical lollipops and fluffy bunnies.

Obviously, there's a cut off point when you start changing that around but as Renton says above, this season the tema will consist of around 13 / 14 core players with a few bench watmers and last ten minuters from the 19s. as far as I can tell, the question for McGlynn is whether the 19s can adequately roles the roles vacated by Weir, Wales, Ferry et al . but for less money whilst players like Dougie Hill make the transition from playing regularly to playing every week.

Given the low bar set by Weir, Wales etc. I'm certain the 19s can make that step up and I'm also certain that Hill can make that step as well. I'm not half as concerned by this as many people seem to be.

As ive mentioned before, i think its a bit unfair to say he set low standards, the combined game time he had for his time at the club last season was suppased by Wetherburn in one game

Obviously, there's a cut off point when you start changing that around but as Renton says above, this season the tema will consist of around 13 / 14 core players with a few bench watmers and last ten minuters from the 19s. as far as I can tell, the question for McGlynn is whether the 19s can adequately roles the roles vacated by Weir, Wales, Ferry et al . but for less money whilst players like Dougie Hill make the transition from playing regularly to playing every week.

Given the low bar set by Weir, Wales etc. I'm certain the 19s can make that step up and I'm also certain that Hill can make that step as well. I'm not half as concerned by this as many people seem to be.

I'm happy with Dougie Hill starting every week. However, the one issue I have, which will hopefully be resolved soon, is that I don't want to see us starting with two left-footed centre backs. I've accepted that it'll happen at some point, but aslong as we can avoid going the season that way it's ok.

I've outlined my concerns on the other areas of the team already (namely Graham not being Tadé and the changes to our style of play that we'll need) and can't be bothered doing so again.

We have a decent starting XI. It's what comes beyond that that concerns me. If injuries and suspensions don't come by too much, I'm pretty hopeful we'll be comfortable, if unspectacular in what we achieve.

What would leave me with that feeling is eventually playing our own 19 year old strikers and not other teams. NOT a criticism of Stephen Reynolds, just an exasperation once again at our lack of progress in that particular area.

edited for "ph" version and not "v" version

Well yes. As the years go by, it's looking likely that there's been a pretty real problem somewhere along the line in either scouting talent, developing it or convincing that talent to sign for us. I would hope, given McGlynn's previous experience, that's something that will turn around in the next couple of years but sadly, if the gaffer reckons that Reynolds is the best bet, he's probably right.

As ive mentioned before, i think its a bit unfair to say he set low standards, the combined game time he had for his time at the club last season was suppased by Wetherburn in one game

Well yes, I maybe worded it badly but I didn't intend to suggest that any of those players weren't commited but for varying reasons - injury, out of favour, maybe not quite good enough for the 1st division - they were unable to make much of a contribution. Given the lack of game time that those players had, given that neither Wales nor Weir scored - or even set up a goal IIRC - and given that they would have both been on better money than the u19s. It's hard to feel that the 19s aren't better value for money.

I'm happy with Dougie Hill starting every week. However, the one issue I have, which will hopefully be resolved soon, is that I don't want to see us starting with two left-footed centre backs. I've accepted that it'll happen at some point, but aslong as we can avoid going the season that way it's ok.

I've outlined my concerns on the other areas of the team already (namely Graham not being Tadé and the changes to our style of play that we'll need) and can't be bothered doing so again.

We have a decent starting XI. It's what comes beyond that that concerns me. If injuries and suspensions don't come by too much, I'm pretty hopeful we'll be comfortable, if unspectacular in what we achieve.

We need a right footed defender certainly. Preferably for the full back role and I'd echo the requests of those who want Wilson back. I presume McGlynn's working on that and we'll see what the end product is shortly.

Graham is dramtically different from Tadé of course and I tend to agree with what you've said previously about our style of play. Not much the manager can do about that though, Tadé wanted away and I can't think of antyone else in Scottish football who plays his brand of football so effectively. McGlynn's challenge this year is to neutralise the loss of Tadé and I hope he can do so.

Again, I absolutely agree that beyond the first 12 or 13 players we don't have much to fall back on. But that was the case last season and, in fact, the season before. The quality of the season in my mind, is based on how McGlynn responds to the loss of Tadé as discussed above.

Well yes, I maybe worded it badly but I didn't intend to suggest that any of those players weren't commited but for varying reasons - injury, out of favour, maybe not quite good enough for the 1st division - they were unable to make much of a contribution. Given the lack of game time that those players had, given that neither Wales nor Weir scored - or even set up a goal IIRC - and given that they would have both been on better money than the u19s. It's hard to feel that the 19s aren't better value for money.

Agree about Weir and he was given plenty of opportunities to score/assist etc tho Wales wasnt and hate it when people have a go at him saying he was crap when he was only getting 10 mins at a push to make an impact. God even Weir was given a start ahead of him

Our under 19s will get plenty of opportunities this season, he's only signed one - for six months - in a position where he feels we're particularly short.

The fact that, conversely, he hasn't signed a right-back might equally be taken as a sign of faith in Reece Donaldson. (Who I quite liked the look of in the one reserve game I saw last season.)

To be fair, as much of a disappointment it is not to see many first teamers come from the youth sides we have to remember we have the Old Firm as well as possibly the two best youth orientated clubs scouting our region in Dundee United and Hibs.

:lol: Thats not how loans work, you will be paying some of, if not all of his wages.

Sorry I was too cute, and you would be unaware of our history with loaning players.

How it works is the loaning club (in this case St.Johnstone) sends the loaner (Raith Rovers) an invoice for the agreed fee for the player, at the end of the loan.

The loaner (Raith) would then pay the invoice, however (as has happened) if the loaning club (St.Johnstone) fail to send an invoice, then the loaner (Raith) would have nothing to pay.

This would effectively mean that Raith have had a player for 6 months for free.

As I said before this has happened to our benefit more than once, normally with players who have been piss poor.

Sorry I was too cute, and you would be unaware of our history with loaning players.

How it works is the loaning club (in this case St.Johnstone) sends the loaner (Raith Rovers) an invoice for the agreed fee for the player, at the end of the loan.

The loaner (Raith) would then pay the invoice, however (as has happened) if the loaning club (St.Johnstone) fail to send an invoice, then the loaner (Raith) would have nothing to pay.

This would effectively mean that Raith have had a player for 6 months for free.

As I said before this has happened to our benefit more than once, normally with players who have been piss poor.

In fairness, that's not really narrowing it down for the viewing public. A swift glance here will show an incredible number of piss poor players.

In fairness, that's not really narrowing it down for the viewing public. A swift glance here will show an incredible number of piss poor players.

our former players section is a bit of a mess, tho im not going to suggest any improvements to the site because when i have done in the past i have been shot down in flames for suggesting it and slamming teh good work the guys do, which i dont but yu cant win.

Edited by P.C

our former players section is a bit of a mess, tho im not going to suggest any improvements to the site because when i have done in the past i have been shot down in flames for suggesting it and slamming teh good work the guys do, which i do but yu cant win.

To be fair to the boys in charge of the site, the former players section has the air of scrap heap. Which is appropriate.

I think we're just about ready to talk about some actual footie again - can't make Montrose tomorrow but will be at Arbroath tonight. Looking forward to it.

Lee Bryce played as a trialist for Arbroath the other day.

I think we're just about ready to talk about some actual footie again - can't make Montrose tomorrow but will be at Arbroath tonight. Looking forward to it.

It'll be a good test, i promised some of my mates i'd be up for some of these friendlies. But work seems to be winning.

Likewise. I'm heading up after work tonight but I won't be there tomorrow.

So, what do we reckon tonight's line up will be. My guess;

McGurn

Donaldson / Murray / Ellis / Dyer

Walker / Davidson / Hammil / McBride

Baird / Graham

Want to go tonight, but have no one to go with, so I won't be going.

I imagine we'll go with:

McGurn

Murray / Hill / Ellis / Dyer

Williamson / Walker / Davidson / Hammill

Baird / Graham

I imagine this is the formation that will be McGlynn's first choice.