The New Raith Rovers Thread

47 minutes ago, Beachbum said:

If Cuthbert wasn't going to play Watson it would have been simpler and more effect to play Davidson at right back and play McKay and Benedictus in the middle and leave Murray at left back. That way Wedderburn would have been free to play against their very combative midfield, it would have allowed Flanagan to move much further up the park and it would also have released Vaughan to move play up front with Nisbet.

As it was that was a shambles of a line up.

Said as much at HT. Ridiculous he didn’t even change it then but that was the sub to make when Gillespie went off 

59 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Why phone him? Speak to him tomorrow. He’s one of the managers at the testimonial.

Phone him the night. 

“Look John I know you’re coming tomorrow to manage the 08/09 team but, actually can you just manage the actual team? Thanks”

5 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Just get Duffy for God’s sake. The board are desperate to appoint Cuthbert because he’s cheap. But it clearly isn’t working. We have a team of jobbers and clearly not good at that job

The team isn't that bad as was displayed in the Forfar game. Play them in their correct positions as much as injuries and suspensions allow and don't go shoe horning in old pals when they are out of form. It really shouldn't be that difficult.

Cuthbert says he doesn't think they were tactically better than us.

I'd have to disagree with that.

Nisbet as RWB last week, Murray this week. Murray who has only ever played CH or LB.

I'm sure Cuthbert also said the plan was to get at them wide and get crosses in. Would Murray do that? Strange.

Whose turn at RWB next week?

Flannigan is never a wing back either.

He's very passionate and you can tell it hurts him but Cuthbert surely can't be an option.

Will be interesting if a new manager inherits him or can they bring their own people in? I suspect they will be asked to inherit him.

7 minutes ago, Deadly said:

I'm sure Cuthbert also said the plan was to get at them wide and get crosses in. Would Murray do that? Strange.

I was a right-footed LB for a while and my gaffer wanted me to hit the line, cut on to my right foot and fire in-swinging crosses in. 

Might be Cuthbert's thinking with that one. 

Just now, grumswall said:
3 minutes ago, Ebanda said:
I was a right-footed LB for a while and my gaffer wanted me to hit the line, cut on to my right foot and fire in-swinging crosses in. 

Murray is naturally right footed though.

Just now, grumswall said:
3 minutes ago, Ebanda said:

Murray is naturally right footed though.

More than capable with his left too. 

I'm not trying to justify him being there. Quite frankly, it's fucking mental. 

Just trying to explain what might have been going on. 

I was a right-footed LB for a while and my gaffer wanted me to hit the line, cut on to my right foot and fire in-swinging crosses in.  Might be Cuthbert's thinking with that one.  

Dennis Irwin was a right footed left back, and a good one too so I agree it can be done.  Some wingers cut in onto their stronger foot to great effect but as a wing back I wouldn't be looking for soneone to hit the line , cut back and then swing it in with their other foot. Just slows it down and would frustrate the strikers. We'll never know as Murray didn't get a where near the by line.

I think you're being very kind to Cuthbert saying it was planned for Murray to do what you're suggesting, but you could be right.

I really wanted Cuthbert to do well and love his passion / enthusiasm but I'm seeing no reason to suggest we can go with him.

EDIT TO ADD ...

I'd forgotten he was right footed. It's not even that though, it's just I wouldn't see him as a wing back at all.

What a shambles of a club. Who would have believed this board would be even more inept than the last. To still not have interviewed any potential managers at this point is a disgrace. 

You have to feel sorry for Cuthbert. He was left as the only coach at the club and expected to take training, reserve and first team matches with no proper assistance. He only had a year's coaching behind him and was never actually a footballer. It could hardly be a surprise that we were a shambles in his 3 games in charge. 

Murray may as well not have been on the park. Did absolutely nothing. Not convinced he’s suitable for wing back, but definitely not RWB as it turns out, right footed or not.

Flanagan was the only positive of the formation offensively, because get this, he’s good in forward areas. Pretty sure what we gained from having him there was balanced out by the amount of time Montrose got behind him. Maybe we could get revolutionary and try him on the wing.

Nisbet has played centre forward, RWB and central midfield in the past two matches. No wonder he played like he didn’t know his arse from his elbow. Vaughan at times our deepest player, forced into sitting midfield. Milne contributed pretty much nothing. Bene/Davidson lumping the ball forward at all times. The list goes on, really.

If you want to play 3-5-2 at least play players in appropriate positions. Wedderburn in midfield, McKay in defence, Watson RWB. Cuthbert has surely now blown any hope he had of the job, but why we’re in this position is the first place is entirely the fault of the board. Three weeks before even interviewing is bonkers.

What a mess.

On 9/21/2018 at 20:04, Enigma said:

This strikes me as a pretty crude and clumsy post. That doesn’t sound like a particularly tolerant attitude you have towards those with mental disabilities. You’re probably one of those disgusting fans who were ridiculing the disabled gentleman up at Dundee United last season.

You are correct, it was clumsy and I apologise for the way it came across. Being disabled (only partially and not visibly) no I was not one of those you mention at Dundee Utd last year and am saddened to read your comments about it.

Yes, being disabled is a niche group, and like all niche groups we have a darker side to humour that the 'normal' folks don't always get, it's a bit like being in the military or emergency services, not everyone gets it.

I want to apologise to all of you that were offended by my post regarding SuperHans/Martin. To all of those able bodied, mentally stable members who found my post in bad taste, I'm sorry.

Murray may as well not have been on the park. Did absolutely nothing. Not convinced he’s suitable for wing back, but definitely not RWB as it turns out, right footed or not.

Flanagan was the only positive of the formation offensively, because get this, he’s good in forward areas. Pretty sure what we gained from having him there was balanced out by the amount of time Montrose got behind him. Maybe we could get revolutionary and try him on the wing.

Nisbet has played centre forward, RWB and central midfield in the past two matches. No wonder he played like he didn’t know his arse from his elbow. Vaughan at times our deepest player, forced into sitting midfield. Milne contributed pretty much nothing. Bene/Davidson lumping the ball forward at all times. The list goes on, really.

If you want to play 3-5-2 at least play players in appropriate positions. Wedderburn in midfield, McKay in defence, Watson RWB. Cuthbert has surely now blown any hope he had of the job, but why we’re in this position is the first place is entirely the fault of the board. Three weeks before even interviewing is bonkers.

What a mess.
Pretty much this.

Players looked all over the place and seemed to just be deciding what they wanted to do. To end the match with 3 strikers, Vaughan playing sweeper at times, our left back on the right wing (albeit he stated there) no centre midfielder but a midfielder in defence....all whilst players on the bench capable of playing those positions. Shambles really is an understatement!

I really do like Cuthbert and you could see at the end when the players sunk to the ground that they wanted to win it for him but that's maybe the problem. It's the same problem Murray had. Far too close to them and unable to look at the bigger picture. Murray has shown himself at Hibs to be an excellent coach and maybe it will be the same with Cuthbert.

What we need is an attacking thinking manager who will utilise the forward players we have in the right way and at the same time will not take any shit from players like Davidson. Also someone who will stop Vaughan from being a greedy shit thinking he can score free kicks from 40 yards out.