The New Raith Rovers Thread

Well we are only really now starting to use our youth players and only because McGlynn has no other choice. We are in the same situation as many clubs. If someone came in with a decent bid for any of our players youth team or not i think the board would take it

Raith Rovers are victims of their own success

In May of this year, John McGlynn was named Scotland's manager of the year. Quite an achievement in itself, McGlynn won this award despite not being a manager in Scotland's top flight, the SPL.In fact, his team did not even win anything last season. It was though, how close they did come to success that saw McGlynn take the plaudits.

Despite a modest budget compared to their league rivals, Rovers battled local rivals Dunfermline Athletic at the top of the First Division, all the way until the final weeks of the season. They narrowly missed out on an incredibly unlikely league title and a promotion to the elite of Scottish football. The Kirkcaldy-based side benefitted from a strong team spirit and a knack of picking up points late on in matches, a sure sign of a successful team. This was shown best when they came from 2-0 down at Dunfermline to snatch a late draw with an injury-time equaliser.

However, at the end of the day,Dunfermline, with a much larger budget and deeper first-team squad, did win the title. Rovers were praised, McGlynn heralded for producing a near miracle, almost as great as their Scottish Cup semi-final appearance a year previously. Even greater than winning the Second Division title in 2009. Despite all this acclaim, Rovers had fallen short and this spelt trouble financially.

As interesting and closely-matched as the First Division is in Scotland, the money is simply not there. All the sides are scrambling for the much needed revenue boost that the SPL provides. Rovers,having failed in their quest, would now have to budget for another year in the lower division, only this time minus the large away support brought by Dunfermline. Fifteen released players later, including star man Gregory Tade and any hopes of a repeat performance this term were dashed before the first whistle.

Predictably, this season has been a real struggle for Rovers. Last Saturday's 0-1 reverse to relegation favourites Ayr United saw them drop to joint bottom of the division. Their position is not surprising when you consider their budgetary constraints but it is proving hard to take for supporters, who were starting to get used to a string of successes under McGlynn. Football supporters are notorious for being fickle and suffering from short-term memory but there is a significant minority of fans who believe that McGlynn's time may be nearing an end. A recent poll on a fans website showed that 30% of people on that site felt that it was time for a managerial change.

There is no doubt that Rovers are victims of their own success. Even the most level-headed reasonable supporter would be disappointed and dismayed when his side goes from title-challengers to relegation battlers. Attendances are down as well, showing the disenchantment around the club at present. It is an unfortunate situation that shows the very fine lines that managers and football clubs tread. Had they won the league, Rovers would have been live on Sky Sports and ESPN playing the Old Firm this season. Instead,they're toiling to defeat against a part-time side.

Clearly McGlynn still has a lot of good faith among the Rovers support. Like most clubs in Scotland, Raith Rovers' history is not one packed with success. He has brought these fans a lot of joy in a relatively short period of time. Some feel though, that even with his small resources, he is not using them in the correct manner. Certain playersare guaranteed a starting berth regardless of form. There is no trust in younger players. Tactics are predictable and not working. These are perhaps all valid complaints, the side's recent form of three wins in their 13 leaguematches highlights that, but can it all be attributed to McGlynn?

McGlynn accepted the acclaim that came his way after the near miss last term, so there is no doubt he has to ride these choppier waters now. There is a thought in football that you are only as good as your last game and that history is almost irrelevant. Whilst not entirely accurate, it is true to say that McGlynn can't live off how well he's done in previous seasons and he needs to start getting his team picking up points once again. Otherwise, unemployed managers across the country will be printing off their CV's and sending them to Fife.

Where's that from?

I can't believe anyone at the club is seriously considering McGlynn's position. If they were to sack him my confidence in the continued running of the club would be seriously dented.

Where's that from?

I can't believe anyone at the club is seriously considering McGlynn's position. If they were to sack him my confidence in the continued running of the club would be seriously dented.

I havent checked on fan talk for the results but indeed someone has started a poll on it. People seem to have very short memories with the success he has brought with the club. Dont get me wrong im not a happy clapper and he definately needs to pull his finger out and make some changes and drop his newest Hearts signing as thats 2 games where he has been a total passenger.

I had high hopes for Prychynenko after about ten minutes against Ayr. He had a couple of efforts at goal, something which we haven't really seen too much recently, but after he hit the roof of the stand (an admirable achievement) he disappeared from the game, confidence obliterated.

To be honest its alot to ask of a 19 year old to come from his parent club and straight into the first team when there should be other players ahead of him for a game ie Callahan and Thomson. These guys should be given their chance ahead of him, if this had been an established player we took from a club then fair doos but he is another youngster

I haven't actually seen anything to say one way or another if Reece Donaldson was injured at the weekend. Surely the young lad wasn't dropped, he's been a standout so far.

Also you can add me to the list of people who were very impressed by Colin Wilson.

John McGlynn might be hesitant to throw his own youngsters in at the deep end, but when they are introduced, they don't appear at all out of their depth. I think it's about protection of young players, not mistrust. He's only using them once he knows that they're ready.

Me laugh.gif I wrote it last night.

Good writing, and I mostly agree. Though in your conclusion I think you've ended up giving the idea of his job being under thread rather more credence than it warrants.

Good writing, and I mostly agree. Though in your conclusion I think you've ended up giving the idea of his job being under thread rather more credence than it warrants.

To be honest since I wasn't planning on publishing for a blog or anything, I was to busy getting the "sending their CV's to Fife" line in somehow laugh.gif

Cheers though.

Who can Raith Rovers possibly get who'll do better than John McGlynn? There's absolutely no money in the budget. He had to convince his players to take a wage cut last year after they finished 2nd in a league they should've struggled in!

This was always going to be a transitional season. I would go so far as to argue that even if we were relegated, it'd be better to keep John McGlynn on and let him bring us up again. McGlynn knows the club. He's proven time and time again that he can win games. There's a rough patch at the moment, and I'm not exactly enjoying it either, but he is the best man for the job.

Say he does get sacked, who do you replace him with? "Yogi Hughes and Jimmy Calderwood are both looking for work!" If either of them lower themselves to even turn up for an interview, they'll ask for the budget and laugh their way out of the ground.

It's fucking ridiculous. Get some perspective.

This. (x 100)

Me laugh.gif I wrote it last night.

The bit below is nonsense in my opinion.

"Attendances are down as well, showing the disenchantment around the club at present"

Attendances are suffering everywhere. It's because there is a recession on and Scottish Football offers piss poor value for money.

Also I don't know why people aren't questioning the effect losing the title and the budget cuts are having on the players. Imagine you'd just had the greatest year ever at your work. The boss comes in and says 'great job lads you've been a great team. As a reward we're cutting your wages and half of you can collect your P45s on the way out. Now let's get back to work and do it again!'

If McGlynn could produce the same level of commitment, motivation and performance in those circumstances he should be Prime Minister not managing us.

I see Turnbull Hutton is trotting out the old "keyboard warriors" line in the press again today.

Huttons logic seems to be that because McGlynn likes to chip in with a bit of DIY at the club that he is beyond reproach.

I'd rather he spent a bit more time drilling the basics such as set pieces and shooting into the players and less time painting the ceiling in the kit room or whatever.

Despite what he's done for us he's not above cricitism and he's deservedly taking a bit of flak just now. Despite this, and the results of the fantalk poll, I've still to hear a single call for him to go actually at a match.

Who can Raith Rovers possibly get who'll do better than John McGlynn? There's absolutely no money in the budget. He had to convince his players to take a wage cut last year after they finished 2nd in a league they should've struggled in!

This was always going to be a transitional season. I would go so far as to argue that even if we were relegated, it'd be better to keep John McGlynn on and let him bring us up again. McGlynn knows the club. He's proven time and time again that he can win games. There's a rough patch at the moment, and I'm not exactly enjoying it either, but he is the best man for the job.

Say he does get sacked, who do you replace him with? "Yogi Hughes and Jimmy Calderwood are both looking for work!" If either of them lower themselves to even turn up for an interview, they'll ask for the budget and laugh their way out of the ground.

It's fucking ridiculous. Get some perspective.

And yeah, that post nails it. I wouldn't consider sacking McGlynn even if we were to go down.

I see Turnbull Hutton is trotting out the old "keyboard warriors" line in the press again today.

Yep,the guy really needs to stay out the press.I think hes on a mission to piss off the very people who are potentially season ticket holder,possibly those that pay week and week out to watch the team and the very people that the club will be hoping support the fund raising for the club.

Huttons logic seems to be that because McGlynn likes to chip in with a bit of DIY at the club that he is beyond reproach.

I'd rather he spent a bit more time drilling the basics such as set pieces and shooting into the players and less time painting the ceiling in the kit room or whatever.

:lol:

Despite what he's done for us he's not above cricitism and he's deservedly taking a bit of flak just now.

Got to agree .For the success hes brought 12 wins in 33 games is not good and would suggest its more than going through a rough patch at the moment .This rough patch has been ongoing since the last quarter of last season.

This "theres absolutely no money in the budget" . Funny there was no money in the budget when the club or someone outside the club financed two packages in the past which resulted in the disposal of one manager and the signing of one player.

Regarding the budget .For arguements sake,indirectly you can place part of the blame on the team/management on piss poor cup results outwith the SC run which has starved the club of much needed finance.

I certainly would not expect McGlynn to be in charge if we were relegated and personally I wouldn`t shed a tear if McGlynn parted company now.

Dons tin hat.

Edited by Rovers_Lad

I'm torn, I really am. I think all of us accepted at the start of the season McGlynn had realistically taken us as far as was possible without external investment, and that this season would be a slog. Clearly we were never going to challenge for the title, and we'd maybe even end up in a relegation battle. Who really thought we'd be this bad though?

He's given us some great times, mostly on a shoe-string budget. Huge credit for that. Does he therefore deserve a bit of time to turn things round when shit hits the fan? Of course he does. But we aren't turning things round at the moment. It's getting worse, in fact. Hypothetically I'd be happy for McGlynn to manage us in the Second Division if we were relegated. However, if we continue down a similar line to which we're currently headed, there reaches a time, and I can't stress enough I don't think that time is now, when you have to wonder whether change would be better for the club. I'd be happy enough to allow McGlynn the chance to bring us back up, but if current form continues you're placed in a situation where a new manager actually couldn't do any worse. We'd have to at least try to preserve our First Division status, and unfortunately that would probably mean a change of manager if we don't see signs of improvement.

I said before the Ayr game we had three games from four at home and we needed to see improvement in them. We're already one down and it was awful. I don't quite want to say 'McGlynn should have three games to save his job", but let's say we don't win any of the next three - entirely possible, indeed perhaps likely given recent performances. That's then one win in sixteen across the board. That isn't a small blip. There's been ample chance for a turnaround. Crowds would be struggling to reach 1200. The remaining would be very much disillusioned - even look at the posters on here, myself included, who feel so apathetic to current goings-on. We're the hardcore and we're struggling - why would those with less of an interest pay £17 when we're grudging it? There comes a time when you can be left with no option from both a football and a business perspective, and unfortunately we can't go on much longer as we are until that point arrives.

I hope McGlynn turns it round, I really do. Nobody will work harder and he's given us some great times. Memories of Hampden don't pay the bills though.