The New Raith Rovers Thread

10 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

I’d be shocked, and annoyed if we don’t have someone in before tomorrow’s game. We can’t go loaning out a first team player in our current situation without having someone in.

We can, we're Raith Rovers....

Stranraer could’ve easily said they take Victoria today or not at all. Might not necessarily be linked, plus Stranraer are at Airdrie tomorrow where a Joao goal would do us a real favour.

Still holding out hope that someone comes in though, otherwise we’re looking at gaps on the bench again.

Stranraer could’ve easily said they take Victoria today or not at all. Might not necessarily be linked, plus Stranraer are at Airdrie tomorrow where a Joao goal would do us a real favour.

Still holding out hope that someone comes in though, otherwise we’re looking at gaps on the bench again.
What might not be linked?

18 minutes ago, Paco said:

Stranraer are at Airdrie tomorrow where a Joao goal would do us a real favour.

Still hopeful we’ll bring someone in before tomorrow but if we don’t, the above explanation makes sense to me. Despite what McGlynn said in his pre match interview, is it possible that Armstrong will be back tomorrow?

Straight swap with Armstrong in for Joao on the bench tomorrow giving us our 7 subs and gives Victoria a chance to do us a favour at Airdrie. New signing(s) come in before our next game so we aren’t actually left short for any game.

Would prefer a signing announced tomorrow morning mind you...

Edited by R.R.FC

1 hour ago, Jilted John said:

That c**t will have Jamie Watson in there!

Language, my good man! I much prefer being called a t**t!

Anyhow, Watson is an interesting idea, but I’d rather put Watson at the RB and run Miller in front of him, if you feel compelled to play both...but that leaves us with 4 CB and 2 spots...

Tait needs to be attacking mid or mid, Matthews is playing quite well as our defensive mid with Hendry and a Tait in front, so I’ll actually agree with Watson on the pine. The real issue we have is does JMcG see enough in practice to feel that Mendy can now play CB at this level, and if so, how to get him some game time. If he isn’t showing enough development yet, I’d like to see him back at Kelty quickly, but they’ve also signed a defender, so he might not be a starter again there right away either.

Edited by TxRover

Anyhow, Watson is an interesting idea, but I’d rather put Watson at the RB and run Miller in front of him, if you feel compelled to play both...but that leaves us with 4 CB and 2 spots...
Tait needs to be attacking mid or mid, Matthews is playing quite well as our defensive mid with Hendry and a Tait in front, so I’ll actually agree with Watson on the pine. The real issue we have is does JMcG see enough in practice to feel that Mendy can now play CB at this level, and if so, how to get him some game time. If he isn’t showing enough development yet, I’d like to see him back at Kelty quickly, but they’ve also signed a defender, so he might not be a starter again there right away either.
If they've signed a defender I'd imagine he's here till the seasons end.

2 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

Tx has been a breath of fresh air. The guy lives in Texarse and he gives an actual f**k about our club. Tx please have some money to put into the club hehe.

Not much luck there, but might consider a season ticket for next year. Course, I couldn’t use it, but...

2 hours ago, Jilted John said:

I’d be shocked, and annoyed if we don’t have someone in before tomorrow’s game. We can’t go loaning out a first team player in our current situation without having someone in.

JMcG specifically mentioned two trialists...perhaps that’s for tomorrow.

59 minutes ago, grumswall said:
1 hour ago, TxRover said:

If they've signed a defender I'd imagine he's here till the seasons end.

I’m reading that the same way as you. Kelty’s review of Mendy was dominant against the majority of the league and at least holding his own against the top two. Now, the difference between the top of the Lowland League and League One isn’t a huge gulf, but it’s enough that we still have no idea if  Mendy’s physicality can offset his inexperience at this level.

The question with Joao is how many players from last year are still with the current Stranraer squad. If it’s a significant number, he could play tomorrow, but even then it’s likely a long shot as he hasn’t played much for us at all. I honestly don’t mind Joao going because he isn’t playing here, and I’d like to see Smith in the couple of places where Joao would have played.

So what is in the cupboard...we have a solid back five (Miller, McKay, Davo, Bene, MacDonald) with Watson capable of covering for Miller (and possibly RCB), and Mendy with questions about his ability at this level, but capable of playing any CB or possibly RB. We have no real backup for MacDonald, but would probably stay afloat with either Bene or Watson out there, without the attacking threat or use Dingwall there at risk to our defending..

In the middle, Matthews seems perfect at defensive mid, Hendry at mid, Tait at mid or attacking mid. Available are Dingwall to the left, and GAndo to the right.

Armstrong is hopefully back soon, the club lists him as a mid, but he seems more of a winger. Allan, if he’s coming back soon will reduce our forward worries a bit, but will take time to get in form and didn’t play well earlier this year.

Baird is pretty much our striker for better or worse, and has paired reasonably well with Bowie. Smith is more of an unknown, but seems could plug in for Bowie most easily. Bowie and Smith would be interesting, but risky...the minds that would blow with Tait and Hendry behind Bowie and Smith would be numerous.

What do we absolutely, really need? A proven forward would be top of the list, but an in form Armstrong returning would help a lot and ease the need. Other than that, until we get injuries, we can get along, but certainly could use a utility left footed defender/midfielder.

At keeper, I wonder if Ross is telling JMcG that Munro might be available after the season, and that’s why Thomson continues to ride the pine. We have two keepers with experience, though one hasn’t played in anger in over a year, plus a last ditch part-time coach and a child.