The New Raith Rovers Thread

Jamie MacDonald is a terrific signing and clearly the best available keeper this summer but signing him 24 hours after signing two other keepers makes little sense.

Robbie Thomson was interviewed for a podcast last month where he talked about how disappointing it was to have been our number one keeper one season and shunted to the bench when Lee Robinson returned in the summer. He was gone before the summer window closed. Its hard to imagine him being happy to sit on the bench again now. Surely he didnt know MacDonald was coming when he re-signed?

Jamie MacDonald is a terrific signing and clearly the best available keeper this summer but signing him 24 hours after signing two other keepers makes little sense.
Robbie Thomson was interviewed for a podcast last month where he talked about how disappointing it was to have been our number one keeper one season and shunted to the bench when Lee Robinson returned in the summer. He was gone before the summer window closed. Its hard to imagine him being happy to sit on the bench again now. Surely he didnt know MacDonald was coming when he re-signed?

Yeah I saw that. I’d imagine McGlynn would’ve told him

10 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

McGurn is a coach with a player registration. He is clearly there for last ditch emergencies of the play Stevenson in goals variety.

Thomson's injury record has not been stellar since he got here.

1 minute ago, renton said:

McGurn is a coach with a player registration. He is clearly there for last ditch emergencies of the play Stevenson in goals variety.

Thomson's injury record has not been stellar since he got here.

These are difficult times for professional clubs. If Thomson's fitness is a concern, signing him at all makes little sense. I'm fully aware McGurn is borderline retired and mainly a coach but he could have sat on the bench for emergencies and you can still get an emergency loan keeper for longer term problems (which is how MacDonald played half a season with Alloa last year). 

Its hard to take seriously last week's appeal for funding of legal fees (which was already hard to take seriously fromthe United standpoint anyway) when you go out and sign 3 senior keepers in 24 hours, one of whom cant even be furloughed for now.

All that said I am undeniably jealous about Jamie Mac. Great signing.

16 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

These are difficult times for professional clubs. If Thomson's fitness is a concern, signing him at all makes little sense. I'm fully aware McGurn is borderline retired and mainly a coach but he could have sat on the bench for emergencies and you can still get an emergency loan keeper for longer term problems (which is how MacDonald played half a season with Alloa last year). 

Its hard to take seriously last week's appeal for funding of legal fees (which was already hard to take seriously fromthe United standpoint anyway) when you go out and sign 3 senior keepers in 24 hours, one of whom cant even be furloughed for now.

All that said I am undeniably jealous about Jamie Mac. Great signing.

The one that can't be furloughed could possibly have agreed like am sure a few players will to start earning when the season starts... 

McDonald is a great signing and was my number one "want" for the Gk position. 

Agree with SD though, I doubt their will be any team in this division with three senior keepers, most don't even bother with two. 

3 minutes ago, pantene proV said:

Fans of other teams really don't understand our keeper history! Maybe we're being over cautious nowadays. 

I was waiting for JM to say in his interview that he has 2 number 1's now - it was ominous for Robbie Thomson that he didn't.

Yeah I feel a bit sorry for Thomson as he was impressive in the few games he played before he got injured (again) against Falkirk. 

Having said that I wasn't overly convinced with him in his first season and would've been concerned if he was going to be our clear no 1 this season. 

We’ll probably have the smallest budget in the league aside from the fully part time teams. It could be a pretty prudent decision of the management to sign two competent keepers given our history.

McGurn is part time and a coach, he’s an emergency back up. I’m sure there’s an opportunity cost here, if we instead just decided to go with Thompson and McGurn maybe we could have signed an extra centre back, but that’s McGlynn’s call. McGlynn’s also well known to give #2 keepers more than a fair crack of the whip, sometimes to a fault.