The New Raith Rovers Thread

Well, Berra seems bitter as f**k. Not sure  performing well for Raith Rovers in the Championship is going to convince people you’re not finished at the top level though.
Disagree on the bitter as f**k comment. Actually seems fair enough, given Hertz is managed by that shaved chimp. It's what every player says when they take on a new challenge, particularly if they're a more experienced player. I'm looking forward to seeing how McGlynn uses him and what he can bring.

3 hours ago, Brashy's Boots said:
4 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:
Well, Berra seems bitter as f**k. Not sure  performing well for Raith Rovers in the Championship is going to convince people you’re not finished at the top level though.

Disagree on the bitter as f**k comment. Actually seems fair enough, given Hertz is managed by that shaved chimp. It's what every player says when they take on a new challenge, particularly if they're a more experienced player. I'm looking forward to seeing how McGlynn uses him and what he can bring.

I think he’ll do fine but it’s not a big surprise he’ll be used as a sweeper/centre back. Probably need a quicker partner or even a back three.

Berra was an absolute rock for us in a CH 3. He also made absolute jobbers like Jordon Forster look competent.

I think I'm right in saying you're going for 3 at the back? Not many I'd have ahead of him at this level in that sort of set-up tbh.

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Berra was an absolute rock for us in a CH 3. He also made absolute jobbers like Jordon Forster look competent.

I think I'm right in saying you're going for 3 at the back? Not many I'd have ahead of him at this level in that sort of set-up tbh.

Most likely.  Benedictus and Musonda likely to be the other 2 initial first choices. Perfectly fine back line for a promotion hunt.

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

Most likely.  Benedictus and Musonda likely to be the other 2 initial first choices. Perfectly fine back line for a promotion hunt.

Not sure Bene is the clear choice for the third spot. If McKay is fully recovered, he may push Bene hard for the spot beside Berra and Musonda. Wondering, will Bene remain as Captain, or does Berra perhaps get given the role…bags more experience, but less time with the other players…or would it depend more on if Bene keeps a starting role? Berra’s certainly giving off SAndo vibes, and might do wonders for our defending.

19 hours ago, renton said:

Knox? Was he not a big thing at Livi once upon a time?

Aye, he was released by us after a bit of an episode at a reserve game. 

Basically a boy flew into a tackle on him, the ref books the boy. Knox is raging, gets up and calls the ref a 'wee poof' and then gets promptly sent off. Comes over and tells our reserve coaching team to piss off and then walks out the stadium and drives off :D Never seen again, and we turned down 180k from Rangers for him as well. Mental.

6 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

'Tho not as finished at the top level as Steven Whittaker...

Basically a boy flew into a tackle on him, the ref books the boy. Knox is raging, gets up and calls the ref a 'wee poof' and then gets promptly sent off. Comes over and tells our reserve coaching team to piss off and then walks out the stadium and drives off [emoji3] Never seen again, and we turned down 180k from Rangers for him as well. Mental.
We had him on trial when Barry Smith was in charge. Think he went on to sign for stirling iirc. He didn't look up to much in the game I seen of him. Very much a player who's reputation was better than the actual player.

Just now, grumswall said:
23 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Basically a boy flew into a tackle on him, the ref books the boy. Knox is raging, gets up and calls the ref a 'wee poof' and then gets promptly sent off. Comes over and tells our reserve coaching team to piss off and then walks out the stadium and drives off emoji3.png Never seen again, and we turned down 180k from Rangers for him as well. Mental.

We had him on trial when Barry Smith was in charge. Think he went on to sign for stirling iirc. He didn't look up to much in the game I seen of him. Very much a player who's reputation was better than the actual player.

Yeah, he was at Brechin as well and barely got a game and ended up going over to Ireland only managing 2 games at Warrenpoint. He had the potential but absolutely wasted it, a lot of the hype though was his dad having friends at the local paper who then planted stories to hype him :D 

Not sure Bene is the clear choice for the third spot. If McKay is fully recovered, he may push Bene hard for the spot beside Berra and Musonda. Wondering, will Bene remain as Captain, or does Berra perhaps get given the role…bags more experience, but less time with the other players…or would it depend more on if Bene keeps a starting role? Berra’s certainly giving off SAndo vibes, and might do wonders for our defending.
If we're playing 3atb and every one is fit, then I'd be shocked if it wasn't bene, berra and musonda starting. Haven't seen much of lang but he did impress when I have seen him but I'd imagine he's probably second choice to one of them with mckay being third choice. Not a bad conundrum to have though. All seem good options at this level on paper.

27 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Basically a boy flew into a tackle on him, the ref books the boy. Knox is raging, gets up and calls the ref a 'wee poof' and then gets promptly sent off. Comes over and tells our reserve coaching team to piss off and then walks out the stadium and drives off :D Never seen again, and we turned down 180k from Rangers for him as well. Mental.

Fucking hell, guess it all went to his head eh?

Bene, arguably one of our better players last season... think you need to step away from the bottle. Almost definitely a back 3 next year consisting primarily of Bene Berra and Musonda with both Lang and McKay pushing them when they get the chance.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Bene who was just voted players player of the year, had a fairly good season and is club captain? 

Im all In favour of giving the youth the chance and all that but sometimes you need to take off the tinted specs. 

Dave McKay is an ok league one defender - and after the lay off had and the type of injury he’s had fully expect him to be eased in similarly to like Vaughan was.

like I say, love it when we produce a young boy and they kick on to the first team - but Bene starts every day of the week for me before McKay. 

The young lad was ok in League One but hardly setting the Heather alight before he got injured. 

41 minutes ago, RRFC1989 said:

Bene, arguably one of our better players last season... think you need to step away from the bottle. Almost definitely a back 3 next year consisting primarily of Bene Berra and Musonda with both Lang and McKay pushing them when they get the chance.

9 minutes ago, RaithRyan said:

Bene who was just voted players player of the year, had a fairly good season and is club captain? 

Im all In favour of giving the youth the chance and all that but sometimes you need to take off the tinted specs. 

Dave McKay is an ok league one defender - and after the lay off had and the type of injury he’s had fully expect him to be eased in similarly to like Vaughan was.

like I say, love it when we produce a young boy and they kick on to the first team - but Bene starts every day of the week for me before McKay. 

The young lad was ok in League One but hardly setting the Heather alight before he got injured. 

I do not disagree with Bene’s massive contribution last year, but…

I said a full healthy McKay MIGHT push Bene, not will, or is better…I simply don’t think it’s a given that Bene is the third best CB behind Berra and Musonda for next year. Bene performed at a high level, but looked to be maxed out. I certainly think he doesn’t get the proper credit for his contribution last year, but I’m not wearing Bene-tinted specs for this year. We will play the best combination, and having four or five choices would be wonderful. All that being said, Lang will take time to gel with the team, more so than Berra, whose massive experience should do us a world of good. McKay was re-signed at the request of JMcG, which means he sees him coming back completely and improving…and he’s been a pretty decent judge of players (no, not perfect). Either way, it’s a nice problem to bandy about.