The New Raith Rovers Thread

Any word on when Berra is likely to be back? I am sure one of McGlynn’s interviews after the Morton game suggested the Killie game was the realistic target? Let’s hope that’s the case, obviously with injuries to Lang and Bene it has highlighted the need further but even without that, it is impossible to overstate how important he is to us.
Having a look back at our record with and without him is very eye opening. Looking at games he has completed the 90 minutes, his record is:
Played: 29   
Won: 16    
Drawn: 10     
Lost: 3     
PPG: 2.00 (not all league games but used to illustrate)    
GA per game: 0.79
Games where Berra hasn’t played or hasn’t completed the 90 minutes:
Played: 8    
Won: 0   
Drawn: 4      
Lost: 4     
PPG: 0.50     
GA per game: 1.6
The above includes the 3 games Berra has went off this season which were:
1-0 defeat to Partick Thistle (0-0 when Berra went off)    
2-1 defeat to Arbroath (1-1 when Berra went off)    
2-2 draw with Morton (0-0 when Berra went off) 
So our points average is 4 times higher with Berra on the pitch and on average we concede half the amount of goals. If we are to hold on to any hope of the play offs we need him back ASAP and to stay fit till the end of the season.

Tx levels of analysis there. Take a bow, son

Obviously I knew Berra was good and that he was integral to the defence, but I had no idea just how stark the contrast was. 

That's essentially championship form with him and relegation form without him. Things aren't that simple, of course, but to do a little bit of Texas-talk myself, I can't imagine there's a bigger "MVP" in the division. 

7 hours ago, Michael W said:

No-one is seriously suggesting we get Sim out. What has been advocated is diluting his stranglehold on the club and attempting to replace some of the board members that made this dreadful decision. 

Not true, however, as is noted many times, it’s gonna be a longer process. He needs to step back and start a plan to transition the Club from his control, in my opinion. As long as Sim is associated with the Club, this will hang around.

1 hour ago, Brashy's Boots said:
2 hours ago, R.R.FC said:
Any word on when Berra is likely to be back? I am sure one of McGlynn’s interviews after the Morton game suggested the Killie game was the realistic target? Let’s hope that’s the case, obviously with injuries to Lang and Bene it has highlighted the need further but even without that, it is impossible to overstate how important he is to us.
Having a look back at our record with and without him is very eye opening. Looking at games he has completed the 90 minutes, his record is:
Played: 29   
Won: 16    
Drawn: 10     
Lost: 3     
PPG: 2.00 (not all league games but used to illustrate)    
GA per game: 0.79
Games where Berra hasn’t played or hasn’t completed the 90 minutes:
Played: 8    
Won: 0   
Drawn: 4      
Lost: 4     
PPG: 0.50     
GA per game: 1.6
The above includes the 3 games Berra has went off this season which were:
1-0 defeat to Partick Thistle (0-0 when Berra went off)    
2-1 defeat to Arbroath (1-1 when Berra went off)    
2-2 draw with Morton (0-0 when Berra went off) 
So our points average is 4 times higher with Berra on the pitch and on average we concede half the amount of goals. If we are to hold on to any hope of the play offs we need him back ASAP and to stay fit till the end of the season.

Tx levels of analysis there. Take a bow, son

Very nice, and Berra is by far our “best” defender in +/- and such.

Before the season started I saw Berra as a wise old head, someone who would guide players through matches and do stuff on the training pitch. Not the absolute rock in our defence and probably one of our most valuable players.

Next season he'll be a year older and we might need a serious rebuild of that defence. 

As a side note I wonder if Dick is the weak link in there because he doesn't have the attributes of tumilty or MacDonald last season and it makes it all lobsided? 

31 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Before the season started I saw Berra as a wise old head, someone who would guide players through matches and do stuff on the training pitch. Not the absolute rock in our defence and probably one of our most valuable players.

Next season he'll be a year older and we might need a serious rebuild of that defence. 

As a side note I wonder if Dick is the weak link in there because he doesn't have the attributes of tumilty or MacDonald last season and it makes it all lobsided? 

For all the stick he gets, I see Dick as a slightly better defender than KMac, but not as good going forward to provide crosses. However, if Dick can get to a couple of those crosses he’s been tantalizingly close to, he might be as effective as KMac was.

Tumilty is a bit of an enigma right now, as his early form this year was like last year, and now has fallen off quite a bit. I wonder if we are trying to sign him going forward and have tabled an offer, because as a player going out of contract, we’d expect him to be trying tremendously to impress other suitors.

Berra looks to be good for next year, as long as a nagging injury hasn’t arrived…Bene looks, sadly to my eye, finished as a starter at this level or above…Musonda is still very here and there, so given his struggles down South, I’m not really sure if he’s the answer either…McKay, well we’ll see how he looks, but the reports from a poor Edinburgh City team don’t suggest he’s dramatically improved to Championship quality yet…Lang looks every bit the gem, but now we have injury worries with him.

Serious rebuild, not yet if we can run Dick/Lang/Berra/Tumilty out with Musonda and Bene(?) in reserve…but I don’t see us signing Tumilty and Musonda for another year+…certainly we’ll need some shoring up.

For what it's worth I thought Frankie had a good game yesterday. The best I've seen him for quite a while. 

If he can get back to something like last seasons form and we can get Berra back in the team then we might be able to muddle thru the next few weeks. 

Of course, if one of them became unavailable for any reason we'd be in big trouble. 

Musonda hasn't really had a proper run since his return. He's played at both full back positions and at centre half, and he's been in and out of the starting line-up. 

I'm confident he'll get back to his best with a run of games in the same position. 

I agree that Tumilty has come back onto a game again. Hasn't quite hit the heights he did pre-Falkirk but he was one of our best yesterday. 

5 hours ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Tumilty's performances have improved too. Not quite start of the season stuff but better than the last couple months. When he's on his game there are few better. I hope he's regaining some form.

3 hours ago, Against The Machine said:

I agree that Tumilty has come back onto a game again. Hasn't quite hit the heights he did pre-Falkirk but he was one of our best yesterday. 

That’s a wee bit worrisome, in that if Tumilty is turning the wick up now, he might have just decided not to accept an offer the Rovers might have tabled earlier (suggesting such an offer is speculation, and not based upon knowledge). Likewise, Musonda heating up also makes you wonder if he’s trying to impress suitors…

I’ve not been paying much attention the last couple of weeks now, so hopefully it’s just paranoia talked here…but we’re potentially quite screwed for defenders next year as it sits. Berra is hopefully solid and not starting to break down…and beyond that we have Dick, a recovering Lang, plus Young and Masson signed. If we lose both Tumilty and Musonda we have only Masson for depth at CB and a starting role to be filled through the first half of the season…we have no RB or backup at RB and a LB with Young as the failsafe. Even the possibility of re-signing Bene doesn’t encourage much, as he’s clearly not capable of this level for any sustained period, and re-signing McKay isn’t looking the answer for either CB or RB at the Championship level.

24 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

Might be the case but I still don't think it's related to his form. 

May be, maybe not.  His earlier slump in form may have been down to his future being unsettled, how often have we seen players relax once they have their contracts sorted out?

Conversely how often have we seen players form improve when they are nearing their contracts end.

Time will tell.

A lot of if's but's an maybes regarding contract and signings for next year, how high up we finish this year, the amount of season tickets that are taken up, who will sponsor us, will RTV come back............ hell we dont even know who the Manager will be if McGlynn walks or even if we can afford the current players we've got. All because of one mistake of judgement