The New Raith Rovers Thread

12 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Correct

And you know this to be fact?

it seems unlikely Clyde would be offering him around when not exactly safe from relegation.

Is it not more usual that the interested Club makes contact first to express an interest?

I don't imagine anyone's in possession of the telephone transcripts, but the established narrative is certainly that the move was reignited by Clyde at the very end of the window. 

Moving into pure speculation though, I'd imagine that's been a direct result of Goodwillie demanding a move, and that that was a result of "unofficial" talks with the Rovers earlier in the window. 

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

Shite, the obvious choice is PS, as he has the CEO’s ear, for a back door approach.

59 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

I agree, but rare or not, it's unlikely that the contract situation will be resolved with this hanging over Goodwillie.

I'm also willing to wager that were he found Not Guilty in a criminal court, more than one club in crisis and in need of a goalscorer would take a punt on him.

According to news report 

Thomas Ross past president bar association said the two men would have to agree to trial 

17 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Is it not more usual that the interested Club makes contact first to express an interest?

We did, in December. What I'd heard (pure speculation) was Clyde, or whoever externally were funding DG's wages, couldn't afford it anymore and DG fancied a crack at FT football. We had shown interest in December but knocked it back after fan reaction. Clyde chanced their leg by approaching us to offload him off their wage bill and get a bit of coinage for him and approached us to see if we were still interested after no bites elsewhere. We said aye we'll take him and it snowballed from there. 

Just now, Against The Machine said:

I don't imagine anyone's in possession of the telephone transcripts, but the established narrative is certainly that the move was reignited by Clyde at the very end of the window. 

Moving into pure speculation though, I'd imagine that's been a direct result of Goodwillie demanding a move, and that that was a result of "unofficial" talks with the Rovers earlier in the window. 

The rumour about him in December prompted national media coverage with our major sponsor Val being vehemently against it, what I cant get my head round is why Clyde knowing of the feelings surrounding a move for the said player, decided to get in touch with someone at RRFC and offer the player in the first place

4 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

The rumour about him in December prompted national media coverage with our major sponsor Val being vehemently against it, what I cant get my head round is why Clyde knowing of the feelings surrounding a move for the said player, decided to get in touch with someone at RRFC and offer the player in the first place

Clyde are desperate for cash. Getting a fee and getting Goodwillie off the wage bill, lifts a huge financial burden from them.

7 minutes ago, Raithie said:

We did, in December. What I'd heard (pure speculation) was Clyde, or whoever externally were funding DG's wages, couldn't afford it anymore and DG fancied a crack at FT football. We had shown interest in December but knocked it back after fan reaction. Clyde chanced their leg by approaching us to offload him off their wage bill and get a bit of coinage for him and approached us to see if we were still interested after no bites elsewhere. We said aye we'll take him and it snowballed from there. 

Maybe Ms McDermid could introduce you to her literary agent. Surely an approach in December to the player or his employers would be illegal given it was out-with the January transfer window?

2 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

Clyde are desperate for cash. Getting a fee and getting Goodwillie off the wage bill, lifts a huge financial burden from them.

They are? How would you arrive at this conclusion?

38 minutes ago, JBJ said:

And you know this to be fact?

it seems unlikely Clyde would be offering him around when not exactly safe from relegation.

Some clubs live hand to mouth, maybe they got an unexpected bill they couldn't pay.

Goodwillie had been jumping for a while, maybe they got fed up listening to him.

I'm sure selling clubs starting the process is less common, but not unknown.

21 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

“Established” by who? 

2 hours ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

And yet you're advocating PS taking over from McGlynn till the end of season.......... strange to say the least

And just out of curiosity, how would someone purportedly living in the States know that little gem, or are you not who you say you are  

Nope, I’ve suggested I think the BoD setup JMcG to go out drop a turd of a statement so they can push him out the door, have PS take over till seasons end and then change managers, while hoping the press on the BoD is reduced by that.

Personally, I think JMcG should end his run at the end of the season, and then the Club has to move on as part of the restructure the BoD suggests will happen.

My “little gem” is additional speculation, that’s all.

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Some clubs live hand to mouth, maybe they got an unexpected bill they couldn't pay.

Goodwillie had been jumping for a while, maybe they got fed up listening to him.

I'm sure selling clubs starting the process is less common, but not unknown.

Someone else making wild assumptions on Clyde’s finances. They rent the stadium and a new pitch laid recently- no surprise bills on the way.

1 minute ago, JBJ said:

Someone else making wild assumptions on Clyde’s finances. They rent the stadium and a new pitch laid recently- no surprise bills on the way.

You asked a question and got an answer based on my experience of why a club might be keen to sell. Bills can come to tenants as well and it needn't be a bill as such, maybe an anticipated payment they might struggle to meet.

As I also said, maybe they were fed up of him and thought his value was going down if they held on much longer.

8 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

By a director who was on the Rovers board at the time, and by a source quoted in The Courier by the very reliable Alan Temple. 

They could, of course, be one and the same. 

Well I think there’s a narrative out there that’s extremely far fetched. Does it dilute RR’s responsibility in this situation to encourage people to believe the player was offered rather than RR pursuing him?

6 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

You asked a question and got an answer based on my experience of why a club might be keen to sell. Bills can come to tenants as well and it needn't be a bill as such, maybe an anticipated payment they might struggle to meet.

As I also said, maybe they were fed up of him and thought his value was going down if they held on much longer.

There is a future payment I believe but it’s comfortably accounted for in the Club accounts. This was not a distress sale.