The New Raith Rovers Thread

If we were to get Joe Cardle back in on top of another new center back and another forward, we'd have the makings of a decent team for the season. I wouldn't expect miracles, indeed a top half finish would be excellent, but we're making good moves. All the signings seem to be of good quality so far, I guess one thing that the cost-cutting means is that other teams are forced to cutback closer to our level.

I must admit, I've been very impressed by Murray so far this Summer with his signings and how he's dealt with individual players. As I said previously, last week I think - IF McGlynn was still at Starks Park, Walker would've been the first name down to be re-signed, despite being very poor for at least 2 seasons now. Murray has shown a back bone; he has proven to his players that if they don't perform they won't play - he took his time last season but once he got in to the swing of things, he seemed to be quite relaxed and easy about dropping under-performing players. It looks as if Murray could develop into a very astute manager - at this level, at least. I wouldn't put Raith past having a good go at things this year if they can keep their more influencial players fit - Moon, Fox, Spence and Elliot instantly spring to mind as being quite injury prone or a big miss for the side if they are missing.

IMO, as a neutral, looking at your squad I'd say you need 4 more signings - 1 more striker, 1 more winger, 1 more CB and 1 more LB (because Donaldson can cover RB). I feel this is entirely possible within Raith's budget, and if the first 3 or 4 signings are anything to go by, the next few signings could enhance Raith's chances of a superb season even further, I'm not saying Raith are going to win the league, or even challenge - but I'm sure any Rovers support would admit, a top 4 finish with a decent return of wins, particularly at home, and you guys will be happy.

I'll miss the derbies this year, they're always great for entertainment and atmosphere. Hopefully my Club can sort themselves out and the Fife derbies can continue for years to come. I wish you every success in this coming season. Good luck guys! :)

Now we can see why Walker had a bit of a moan - PT football it is for him (as predicted on here).

I think now was the time to let him go, but he's been a great servant to the club and was usually one of our better players. In a way it's sad he's moving onwards (and downwards in football terms) but all the best to him.

I think he'll prove to be an excellent signing for Brechin. Mckinnon has got himself a fantastic player for a play-off charge.

Can't wait to see him lose the rag and remove one of Ian Black's legs on BBC Alba.

I must admit, I've been very impressed by Murray so far this Summer with his signings and how he's dealt with individual players. As I said previously, last week I think - IF McGlynn was still at Starks Park, Walker would've been the first name down to be re-signed, despite being very poor for at least 2 seasons now. Murray has shown a back bone; he has proven to his players that if they don't perform they won't play - he took his time last season but once he got in to the swing of things, he seemed to be quite relaxed and easy about dropping under-performing players. It looks as if Murray could develop into a very astute manager - at this level, at least. I wouldn't put Raith past having a good go at things this year if they can keep their more influencial players fit - Moon, Fox, Spence and Elliot instantly spring to mind as being quite injury prone or a big miss for the side if they are missing.

4 more signings

IMO, as a neutral, looking at your squad I'd say you need - 1 more striker, 1 more winger, 1 more CB and 1 more LB (because Donaldson can cover RB). I feel this is entirely possible within Raith's budget, and if the first 3 or 4 signings are anything to go by, the next few signings could enhance Raith's chances of a superb season even further, I'm not saying Raith are going to win the league, or even challenge - but I'm sure any Rovers support would admit, a top 4 finish with a decent return of wins, particularly at home, and you guys will be happy.

I'll miss the derbies this year, they're always great for entertainment and atmosphere. Hopefully my Club can sort themselves out and the Fife derbies can continue for years to come. I wish you every success in this coming season. Good luck guys! :)

You have just about hit it on the head about who we need, and if we can get decent players in for those positions then next season could just be a good one. Very impressed with Murrays ins and outs so far, bringing in players who are a good age and hungry and replacing players who have either been here too long or not good enough or a bit of both. Things looking good so far.

Its sad to see Walker go as he has been part of some fantastic memories of the past few seasons.

Simple fact is, he hasn't been good enough for the past 2 seasons. Ever since he lost the rag at the end of the big derby.

Very good 2nd division player though and i wish him the best of luck.

Brechin have signed Stuart Anderson and Allan Walker. Thoughts?

Both are capable. It would have been good to give Walker a send off, as he's been a good servant to the club and up until the end of season 2010-2011, he was superb for us. He knocks in the odd cracking free-kick. It was probably time for him to move on though. According to his Wiki page he's only 27. If he gets back to the form he was showing a couple of seasons ago then he'll be a cracking player.

Anderson is a good passer of the ball and generally finds a player.

Edited by Scary Bear

I think spence will score alot this season, assuming hes first choice. This signing could mean clarkes off, which i dont see as a big loss as i think there will be others who can hit a shot from 30 yards that goes wide or gives the keeper a sore back from bending over to pick up a dead ball.

I wonder if Murray has signed Elliott with a view to playing him behind the main striker, the sort of role Clarke played a few times last season.

In saying that it looks though there might be a bit of mileage in this before Elliott is confirmed as a Rovers player.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

I wonder if Murray has signed Elliott with a view to playing him behind the main striker, the sort of role Clarke played a few times last season.

In saying that it looks though there might be a bit of mileage in this before Elliott is confirmed as a Rovers player.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

We are delighted to announce the capture of former Scotland Under 20 and 21 international striker Calum Elliot (26) on a 12 month contract following his release at the end of the season by promotion winning Alloa Athletic (where he had been on a short term deal after returning from a year abroad with Zalgiris Vilnius of Lithuania).

Previously, Calum had been a Hearts player for almost 8 years during which he had loan spells with Motherwell, Livinston and Dundee.

Everyone at Stark’s Park welcomes Calum.

I wonder whether the authorities will see a contract as topping a pre-contract agreement?

Since the Paul McManus fiasco, the Rovers haven't announced a new arrival until the paperwork has been signed off by the SFA/SFL.

A pre-contract agreement is essentially just a gentleman's agreement. It might be a bit unethical to go back on one, but in terms of legal stance, I'd be very surprised if Livi had a leg to stand on.

Both Allan Walker and Stuart Anderson should be good signings for Brechin, although I wouldn't play them together in a four man midfield.

As others have said, I think it's the time for Walker to move on but he was a great servant for us, would've been nice to give him a wee send-off - he played, it appears, 237 games for us and can only have missed one or two games in the last four seasons so it's always sad to lose a player as long-serving as that. Always tried his best, played for the jersey and scored some goals that've had us going wild - notably his screamer of a volley to end Dundee's unbeaten run and keep us in the title race, and THAT header at East End which remains my most celebrated Rovers goal. If only he'd tucked away that chance in the Scottish Cup semi at 0-0....

Just McGurn (if he signs), Murray, Hill and Ellis remaining from the semi-final side in 2009 now.

Walker's screaming at a ground as close to the pitch and as quiet as Glebe Park will be absolutely unbearable though.:lol:

Since the Paul McManus fiasco, the Rovers haven't announced a new arrival until the paperwork has been signed off by the SFA/SFL.

A pre-contract agreement is essentially just a gentleman's agreement. It might be a bit unethical to go back on one, but in terms of legal stance, I'd be very surprised if Livi had a leg to stand on.

We did announce Joe Cardle when it was subject to SFA/SFL confirmation but that is the point I was making on Fantalk & FB, we tend to only confirm when everything is set in stone or if it requires confirmation the article will say so, no such sentence was on this article so you can assume that confirmation was given by the authorities, now they surely wouldn't be so incompetent as to allow Elliot to join Rovers if he has signed an actual written contract with Livingston.

Edited by liam_barnett

Both Allan Walker and Stuart Anderson should be good signings for Brechin, although I wouldn't play them together in a four man midfield.

As others have said, I think it's the time for Walker to move on but he was a great servant for us, would've been nice to give him a wee send-off - he played, it appears, 237 games for us and can only have missed one or two games in the last four seasons so it's always sad to lose a player as long-serving as that. Always tried his best, played for the jersey and scored some goals that've had us going wild - notably his screamer of a volley to end Dundee's unbeaten run and keep us in the title race, and THAT header at East End which remains my most celebrated Rovers goal. If only he'd tucked away that chance in the Scottish Cup semi at 0-0....

Just McGurn (if he signs), Murray, Hill and Ellis remaining from the semi-final side in 2009 now.

Walker's screaming at a ground as close to the pitch and as quiet as Glebe Park will be absolutely unbearable though. :lol:

He will also be able to noise up the lichties, 'so you've equalised against Celtic'

I wish him well.

...he was a great servant for us, would've been nice to give him a wee send-off - he played, it appears, 237 games for us and can only have missed one or two games in the last four seasons so it's always sad to lose a player as long-serving as that. Always tried his best, played for the jersey and scored some goals that've had us going wild - notably his screamer of a volley to end Dundee's unbeaten run and keep us in the title race, and THAT header at East End which remains my most celebrated Rovers goal.

Arguably the two highlights of a memorable season.

Sad to see Walker go; solid servant, had some wonderful moments in a rovers shirt (and some fairly ropey ones) but a good player on his day and a decent guy all round.

Edited by yabass

Favourite Walker moment was the league cup tie away to Montrose. Old Man - "No 8, you've been at that AWW GAME!"Walker - "f**k off, you'll be deed in an oor anyway. ":lol:

Never heard of that! :lol:

It's a shame to see one of your lingest servin players and club captain leave but the time is right for it. He's sadly not performed the way he once had for us but I wis him all the best.

My favourite Walker moment is definitely his header against Dunfermline. What a brilliant moment.