The New Raith Rovers Thread

Followed the team pretty much home and away this season with my son and loved every minute and worth every penny. The Championship is a cracking league with good away days and good value.

Will I be disappointed if we donโ€™t go up? The Championship is a cracking league with good away days and good value. Maybe Iโ€™m not wanting to get my hopes up too much.ย 

The Dundee United games this season shouldโ€™ve wetted everyoneโ€™s appetite for top league football in my opinion. Even Motherwell in the cup last season. Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, Dundee United, Motherwell would fill that away end. My son is buzzing at the thought of that. So am I having experienced that in the 90s at his age and the odd cup/league game since.

I really think the playoffs are a chance to achieve that this season. Think we all deserve it.

2 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

A really good post there HBR.ย 

I think McGlynn's side benefitted from the lack of fans to a degree. Players were afforded the chance to play with no pressure from the stands. I'm sure there'll have been circumstances where the support could've lifted the team. They were a good side to watch with the occasional horror show performance. It's a shame that season ended up behind closed doors.ย 

In footballing terms, he'd have probably scored plenty even signing when he did had he ever got the chance to step on the pitch. He'd be scoring for fun at league one level and I don't think he'd have been anywhere near that level even at that point in his career had it not been for that had happened.ย 

I do think Goodwillie could've continued along at Clyde without much notice had he not moved. Any move in football means starting again, and for Goodwillie that meant trying to have a whole new fan base accept without question what had happened. Ironically, it's forced him down to something like the 10th tier and got him out the professional game.ย 

For everything that's happened, it looks like Sim made the right decision to give up control to the new consortium. Both he and McGlynn will have always tainted their legacies with what happened but it's undeniable that without John Sim there would be no Raith Rovers, and without John McGlynn we wouldn't be where we're at just now in footballing terms. He's an absolute master at taking clubs in a mire and organising them to be functional.ย 

Very well put indeed.ย 

6 hours ago, Jilted John said:

I donโ€™t think any of us, John included, knew just what impact that signing would have had

The writing was on the wall in December when the supporter's director asked for and received opinion on the matter.

Many knew what the impact would be, just not the manner of solidarity from decent fans.

50 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

The writing was on the wall in December when the supporter's director asked for and received opinion on the matter.

Many knew what the impact would be, just not the manner of solidarity from decent fans.

I think we knew there would be a backlash of sorts but I doubt anyone thought it would end up being discussed by the First Minister in parliament and even put in front of the Prime Minister.ย 

On the John Mcglynn topic, I was a huge fan of his, felt he done a lot of good at the club especially 1st time around I was firmly in the Mcglynn we trust brigade but he played a huge role in the DGW debacle, made me question whether I wanted to keep going ( I even bought golf clubs ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿปโ€โ™‚๏ธ)and it might be unfair to say this but ran away to Falkirk and left Murray to clean up his mess. Itโ€™s done now, we have moved on but I certainly wonโ€™t be giving him the warm applause he deserves on his return ( I probably wonโ€™t boo him either or shout abuse)he can stay in Grangemouth and see how happy they are when he has no plan Bย 

3 minutes ago, pub car king said:

I do wonder what state those Falkirk contracts are inย 

One of Simโ€™s classics. Heโ€™s the head of a multi national accountancy firm, we have another accountant on the board as well but weโ€™ll let the โ€˜sparky by tradeโ€™ janitor/manager handle the contracts.ย 

50 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Should be said, a lot of credit needs to be given to Allan Halliday side he came in. There's so much off the pitch stuff he's done that will fly under the radar.ย 

100%, whenever the rovers werenโ€™t playing or if we played midweek the r the night before use to go watch Dundonald bluebell and he was a pivotal part of the club im sure he was general manager for years, and with his experience with contracts and other footballing stuff heโ€™s been a credit to usย 

20 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Seen a post on Twitter and the Ayr thread that we're apparently keen to sign Logan Chalmers.ย 

I thought I'd seen that but only got a glimpse and wasn't 100%.ย 

On the face of it he's been a fucking nightmare to play against. Howeverย  (and i could be wrong here) he doesn't strike me as someone who's going to give you 100% effort every day of the week which is the one thing Murray requires above all else.ย 

ย 

5 minutes ago, pub car king said:

I thought I'd seen that but only got a glimpse and wasn't 100%.ย 

On the face of it he's been a fucking nightmare to play against. Howeverย  (and i could be wrong here) he doesn't strike me as someone who's going to give you 100% effort every day of the week which is the one thing Murray requires above all else.ย 

ย 

You'd imagine that conversation would be had prior to signing and if he doesn't live up to it, he doesn't play.

An attacking 3 of Vaughan, Easton and Chalmers has the potential to be something fun to watch, add Stanton into that too and its a front 4 you'd be very happy to see on your team sheet.

Oh undoubtedly a great attacking player and would be a real blow to Ayr losing out on keeping him, but to get in this team you need to work at the other end too.ย 

Perhaps Murray can get that out of him.

58 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Seen a post on Twitter and the Ayr thread that we're apparently keen to sign Logan Chalmers.ย 

The Twitter post and account are now gone though

8 hours ago, Been going too long said:

( I even bought golf clubs ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿปโ€โ™‚๏ธ)

7 hours ago, da_no_1 said:

Sayin nuhin

7 hours ago, Been going too long said:

Wise ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‰

Donโ€™t knockโ€™em. Go play a few holes after a terrible match, and after a couple of 10โ€™s and a half dozen lost balls, your attitude toward football will have improved!