The New Raith Rovers Thread

Yeah, I think Murray is aiming for something similar to the Dunfermline team from a few years back with two out and out wingers and two deep lying ball winners in the middle.

Looks to be that way, definitely better to try the formation we'll be looking to play over the season than to try to constrict a team with a 4-5-1 or whatever.

Thought the game was OK, after the first 20 minutes or so though it was clear Sheffield United were a step ahead in their pre-season preparations. It's difficult to really get a feel for new players in that kind of environment but most of them acquitted themselves well.

I really liked the look of Kevin Moon, worked hard and seems to me to be a bit of a "nyaff", someone who'd be really annoying to play against as he's always there. Good use of the ball too and the more likely to 'drive' the team on I think. Fox I think will be a target for stick from the support as he looks, or did tonight anyway, a bit slow but he rarely even took a touch before moving the ball on and his positioning was always excellent. Looks like the kind of player we need.

Elliot played a good part in the goal but didn't get much change out of either the centre back or the referee. Bigger than I thought though. Gordon Smoth saw little of the ball but put in a lot of effort. Booth will get forward a lot no question, looked a bit clumsy to me but then so is Jason Thomson and he's been terrific for us. Moon I thought was excellent, Fox tidy too. Winter might be a bit of a struggle though if we're slogging games out with those two, neither are big or hard tacklers. Cardle I thought was disappointing, I can see his constant darts inside with the ball infuriating me over the season - Booth as an overlap/decoy should definitely work better than Malone though. Bonar I thought was actually more impressive than Elliot or Smith, but you can hardly fully judge a player on that amount of time. Not sure we need him but he would've done himself no harm tonight. Was surprised to see Laidlaw start too.

Grant Anderson still plays like a FIFA player who's not totally sure of the controls, and Joe Cardle still can't take corners. Overall there's a good team in there I reckon. Hopefully they gel soon.

Well, there were no disasters last night, we played the ball about reasonably well and competed without threatening too much. Their players are probably on 2 or 3 grand a week and have played a few more friendly games, so I was expecting a hard game.

Someone always asks, crowd was given as 1,054.

Thought that Jamie Murphy (ex-Motherwell), the No. 14 played well for them in the first half and scored a well struck second goal. Was that Danny Higginbottom (ex-Stoke) that was playing for them in the second half?

Didn't think anyone really stood out for us. I spent the first 20 minutes trying to work out who the players were. Still not sure who was Fox and who is Moon? 6 and 8 but not sure which was which.

There's always some that arent, have to laugh when you hear people shouting during pre season friendlies against better teams, we played well last night but they were a good side who kept the ball well especially in the 2nd half but we did cause them problems. We will show more as the team starts to gel

:lol: Aye, a few folk were getting annoyed at Booth getting ripped by Febian Brandy last night. Brandy came up through the youth system at Man United. We held our own last night for the majority of the time. We had some good link up and I'm looking forward to seeing how we are when we get going.

Yeah we were always going to be on the back foot last night but when we did have the ball we moved it about well and we tried to pressure the ball when we lost it, lot of good signs from last night

:lol: Aye, a few folk were getting annoyed at Booth getting ripped by Febian Brandy last night. Brandy came up through the youth system at Man United. We held our own last night for the majority of the time. We had some good link up and I'm looking forward to seeing how we are when we get going.

When he came on there was a a few people around me turned to the the person or people they were at the game with to tell them how good he was on football manager haha. I tried to tell my 86 year old grandad. He seemed lost as soon as I mentioned that I signed a player for my team.

When he came on there was a a few people around me turned to the the person or people they were at the game with to tell them how good he was on football manager haha. I tried to tell my 86 year old grandad. He seemed lost as soon as I mentioned that I signed a player for my team.

Yup that was me for one lol

You can't be negative with that performance considering half the team were new to us and never played together before.

The only one that didn't do it for me was Elliot but I suppose he was just frustrated because he wanted to make more of an impact than he did.

Looking forward to tomorrow to see if he starts the trialist with spence ad he looked the part when he came on

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Pie & Bovril mobile app

There's always some that arent, have to laugh when you hear people shouting during pre season friendlies against better teams, we played well last night but they were a good side who kept the ball well especially in the 2nd half but we did cause them problems. We will show more as the team starts to gel

they were a decent side who play at a better standard than us but dont think we caused them many problems at all.we played okay with a few pluses in the likes of moon and booth.what was noticeable was that anderson still cant cross the ball.

Edited by Rovers_Lad