The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

I'm encouraged that we've went through unbeaten, and won the 2 games we "should" have.

My concern is that we haven't seen any real evidence of a fundamental shift in the real issues we had vs last season.  To only score 5 goals combined against Albion Rovers and Annan, when you look at the chances created, is pretty concerning - as is the manner of the first goal conceded today.

If you want to clutch at some kind of straw, I'd say from something like an xG position we've improved. Wasn't a case of a lot of good approach play and hoping for a worldy.

The high press is decent, mullin's crossing is really good. 

Enjoyable day out. We are really fun to watch, as shown in that second half. It was just a constant stream of chances. Hamilton was really u lucky a few times. He’s absolutely in the right place a lot of the time and wins a lot of headers. A goal for him and they will start to flow, his header off the post he does everything right. On another day that lands inside the post. Easton unlucky again with his effort off the bar, would’ve been another goal of the season contender. 

Some of the worst driving conditions I’ve experienced whilst driving back up the M74 made for a few hair-raising moments. Visibility down to about 50 feet at times. 

Just now, Beastie Russell said:

Never seen us hit the woodwork so many times in one match.

Was it 5 for the match overall? I can remember 4 - Annan had a great effort come off the bar and then about a minute later had a back post header which flicked off the join of post and bar on the way over the top. Easton has hit the bar and Hamilton has hit the post. Was there one more? 

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Was it 5 for the match overall? I can remember 4 - Annan had a great effort come off the bar and then about a minute later had a back post header which flicked off the join of post and bar on the way over the top. Easton has hit the bar and Hamilton has hit the post. Was there one more? 

We had at least 4, the 2 you mention.

Mullin had a shot saved on toy the post second half and Vaughan hit the post 1st half too.

33 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Some of the worst driving conditions I’ve experienced whilst driving back up the M74 made for a few hair-raising moments. Visibility down to about 50 feet at times. 

Did you get caught by the speed camera on the flyover?

It’ll feel tough if we go out.

Dunfermline unlucky not to win but no travesty with the draw.

Albion, 2-0 going on 6 nil.

Killie, 2-1 up and we have a couple of gilt edge chances to kill the game. Not convinced the goal chalked for offside was correct.

Today, it’s been covered but we score a minimum of 5 any other day.

Not all hope lost even if Dundee win by 1 but it does feel like we needed a couple more.

I’m still super positive. Unbeaten in 8 games to complete preseason and that’s with player of the year and back to back top goalscorer out. We’ve a proven goalscorer working back to fitness with Ethan Ross, Ross Matthews, and Gullan to compete for places. Millen comes straight back in.

A 29 year old experienced Murray to sit with the superb Watson and Corr who despite continual howlers will be a good cover and certain to improve.

If all fit we’ll have an outstanding bench.

I see the following as guaranteed starters - Dabrowski, Watson, Dick, Millen, Murray, Easton, Vaughan, Mullin, Brown (9 players)

The rest comprising of - Corr, McGill, Arnott, Ethan Ross, Masson, Connolly, Gullan, Smith, Matthews, Stanton (has to play for me), Mitchell fighting to get a place (11 players but I’d imagine couple will be loaned out). Plus Murray said he wants to bring in a couple more. 

Technically we look really good but most of the forward players are wee guys so the only concern is how we deal with the more ‘robust’ teams in the championship. 

Hope ICT can do us a favour and we squeeze through to the money ties of last 16. 

Next Saturday it’s season proper against, come on you Raith !

3 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Did you get caught by the speed camera on the flyover?

That’s a concern. I was flying and never seen anything. I did see police / ambulance on the M8 looking to deal with what unfortunately looked like a jumper. 

3 minutes ago, rodricoh said:

Why are Dundee being allowed to play after everyone else tomorrow?

So they know what score they need to get through.

Big concern Dodds put out a few squad players as they are out already.

Bigger question, who picked the St Johnstone side? Do they hate RR?

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Enjoyable day out. We are really fun to watch, as shown in that second half. It was just a constant stream of chances. Hamilton was really u lucky a few times. He’s absolutely in the right place a lot of the time and wins a lot of headers. A goal for him and they will start to flow, his header off the post he does everything right. On another day that lands inside the post. Easton unlucky again with his effort off the bar, would’ve been another goal of the season contender. 

Have to agree with Hank. Early days S yet but the thing that has stuck out for me in the LC games is we look fun to watch. 

You can see the idea behind the aggressive high field press, and moving the ball more directly and quicker. Mullin's deliveries are a class above anything we had last season as well.

Euan Murray has to start next week though. Would also argue we need to get Millen back in as harsh as that is on McGill.