The New Raith Rovers Thread

We’re definitely in talks but I’m not sure whether we’re trying to do a permanent deal to avoid the shambles of losing a loan player come January. He’s apparently on decent money though so not sure how likely he is to sign. 

In an ideal world, Easton should be kept more central, but beyond Smith and Mullin, Connolly will be back and Ross hopefully later which would give you 4 for two positions - 6 if you concede that Easton and Gullan can play there as well.

Of the two centre positions, Stanton has the number 6 role and Easton the hybrid 8/10 role in Murray's 4-1-3-2 and then you have Matthews, Brown and McGill who call all do variations of a 6 or 8 in midfield as well as Vaughan who could drop deeper to carry out some of Easton's job as well.

So, i'm not convinced any of the midfield roles are somewhere we are short, though the point I guess is that Murray wants these guys running themselves into the ground and having spares is a necessity not a luxury from that point of view.

The two places we are short are in defence where we either need a left sided CB who can deputise at LB or an out and out LB who can let Dick deputise at CB and up top where we have three (not including Mitchell) for two roles and with significant injury history amongst those guys...

1 minute ago, Stardog_champion said:

That’s a relief, having him fit and ready for the season is imperative. Also having him injury free is like a new signing. 

It's just a good situation to have in terms of depth. Even now we're feeling the after effects of having to play the likes of Connolly despite injuries because we didn't have the bodies to cover.

Just now, Broken Algorithms said:

It's just a good situation to have in terms of depth. Even now we're feeling the after effects of having to play the likes of Connolly despite injuries because we didn't have the bodies to cover.

Exactly, we were exposed far too easily last season with the lack of like for like subs. Now we have a lot more to choose from. Just hope the injuries dissipate, or for once give us a clear run this season. 

1 minute ago, Jilted John said:

Do you think 4132 is Murray’s preferred formation for next season or what he’s playing just now because of who’s available? Personally I think we will be back to 4231 when Brown and Matthews are back. 

I think it'll be the latter too. Brown is a huge influence in games and offers us an enforcer in midfield, and also adds in the occasional goal. Perfect example of what he offers was the third goal in the Scottish Cup against Motherwell. Tracked back on their counter, won the ball and completely turned the momentum. 

13 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I think it'll be the latter too. Brown is a huge influence in games and offers us an enforcer in midfield, and also adds in the occasional goal. Perfect example of what he offers was the third goal in the Scottish Cup against Motherwell. Tracked back on their counter, won the ball and completely turned the momentum. 

I think 4-1-3-2 is the preferred formation. 

He obviously wants an aggressive high press which is easier with the extra body up top, and he wants the 3 in behind the two working like crazy, and Murray doesn't seem that interested in a patient, lateral build up. 

It's also easier to get away with Vaughan and Gullan as a partnership than either as a lone striker.

Had Brown been available he'd likely already be in that sitting role, but I'm not sure Murray will go back to a 4-2-3-1 just to fit him in, if the formation is working and Stanton is doing the job he's supposed to.

That's not to say he won't or we can't change shape (albeit that does need practice and training to be effective) - just that I don't think this is a makeshift to cope with injuries.

Loan market seems to generate a lot of interest for some but generally it leaves me cold. Other than Regan Hendry and Connor ORiordan we haven't had too many stand-out class kids on loan, often as not I feel we end up with a guy who is the same or no better than we already have on the books but we have to play him due to the loan agreement.

That said I do see us brining in one or two and wouldn't be surprised if they were impact players who feature off the bench as opposed to defenders.

Once everyone is available:

In Hamilton and Gullan we have two (3 if you include Vaughan) guys who can lead the line and hold the ball up.

The No 10 or second striker role we have lots of options, Gullan, Vaughan, Stanton, Easton, Ross, Mitchell and possibly even Smith.

On the wing we have Connolly and Mullin with in reserve Ross, Smith, Easton, Arnott and McGill, in the holding roles we have Brown and Matthews with cover in the shape of Stanton, McGill and at a push perhaps Arnott.

Defensively in the middle we have Watson & Murray with Masson Correct and Dick if need be.

At right back we have McGill, Masson and (at a push) Matthews  if Millen is unavailable.

Left back is where I see us thinnest on the ground if Dick is unavailable or needed else where we're struggling, the problem is if we bring in another Ngwenya type we probably have to play them to avoid paying all of their wages.

I'd have liked to seen a change in formation last week for the last 10 or 20 with Murray coming on for Corr to make a back 3 with Dick. McGill pushed up into the midfield holding role, releasing Stants to bomb forward.

Lots of really good options in most positions but no real challenge at present for the fullbacks, it would be nice to see a promising youngster signed as a LB or RB.

3 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I did see a Hartlepool fan on Twitter claim Patterson played a bounce game for them after they'd tried to offload him to us, but we'd turned him down. No idea how accurate that is 

I seen that as well, but there’s also been rumours that Murray is a fan of Paterson and is trying to bring him in we will just have to wait and see I suppose