The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 hours ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Unfair and totally uncalled for, hes saved us a damn site more than hes cost us

Has he? Not sure about that. He's conceded 3 or 4 absolute shockers and at least 6 'could have done better' type goals this season. I'm not sure he's made up for that in wonder saves. That whole back 5 needs gutted for next season. Goalkeeper included. 

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Has he? Not sure about that. He's conceded 3 or 4 absolute shockers and at least 6 'could have done better' type goals this season. I'm not sure he's made up for that in wonder saves. That whole back 5 needs gutted for next season. Goalkeeper included. 

Each to their own, I'd agree that the whole back line needs gutted for next season  but considering we've conceded 36 goals so far and he according to you has been responsible for 10 of those, that's 26 goals you can credit to a woeful defence/midfield,  maybe if that had been sorted out properly those 10 goals against would likely decrease,  

Only Callum Ferrie has made more saves than Kevin Dabrowski in the Championship, and Ferrie has played four fewer games, which tells you everything you need to know about how poor we are at denying teams chances. 

Dabrowski has gaffes in him unfortunately, but I’m not sure he’s any more to blame for our shortcomings than anyone in front of him. 

1 hour ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Only Callum Ferrie has made more saves than Kevin Dabrowski in the Championship, and Ferrie has played four fewer games, which tells you everything you need to know about how poor we are at denying teams chances. 

Dabrowski has gaffes in him unfortunately, but I’m not sure he’s any more to blame for our shortcomings than anyone in front of him. 

Agreed. The goalkeeper is a small part of the reason we have conceded so many goals. Poor game management and/or playing in too open a fashion, as well as the (usually enforced) changes of players in defence are the main drivers. The amount of times we have taken the lead and then lost it this season is infuriating.  

I do think the gaffe was the reason that we ended up losing to Arbroath, though. It demoralised the team. 

If I'm honest, I was calling big Kev a clown and worse for about 5 minutes (in my head, no out loud!) on Friday night in the pishing rain.  However on balance, he has probably saved us more points than he has been responsible for.  At Arbroath his calamity cost the equaliser, he was not to blame for the offside ish winner.

He is far from the finished article, and needs to learn to command his box better, and sort out his positioning at crosses, but he is in the Championship and not the Champions League for a reason.  

At worst I would maybe drop him for one game if he has consistent clangers, but the thought of bringing in an Andy McNeill against the Pars doesn't bear thinking about!   Poor Andy McNeill current goalie has no chance of getting in for this one and its not his fault he has the same name as a balloon from the past.:)

Edited by Heid_The_Baw

17 hours ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Unfair and totally uncalled for, hes saved us a damn site more than hes cost us

Yes he has saved us yes in a lot of cases but having a keeper that can't Kick straight and Come for the ball isn't exactly what you want when you are trying to challenging for the title he has a big part to play in the defeat to arbroath.

Kicking into the wind in Arbroath should have been vetoed in the first minutes of the second half, we should have looked to play shorter, get the ball on the ground and actually pass the ball around, something we've rarely done lately. With Byrne, Matthews, Brown, Turner and Mullin on the pitch, that shouldn't have been beyond us, instead we were horsing it and losing out on almost every second ball. However, thats done with now, onto Dunfermline and ideally some decent football to beat them with. 

I know it’s a derby and another massive game on Saturday but I’m well impressed with tickets sales. Well done to everyone.

Thought attendance would be down after Friday but shows how much we’re behind the team.

11 minutes ago, SerieA said:

I know it’s a derby and another massive game on Saturday but I’m well impressed with tickets sales. Well done to everyone.

Thought attendance would be down after Friday but shows how much we’re behind the team.

We have to go all in now the team needs us between now and whenever the season ends for us. 

I'll be amazed if the team don't fly out the traps on Saturday. 

8 minutes ago, SerieA said:

Fully expecting Bene to win the toss and have us shooting towards the South Stand in the 1st half 

Worked well for them last time 🤣

1 hour ago, Rover1883 said:

Yes he has saved us yes in a lot of cases but having a keeper that can't Kick straight and Come for the ball isn't exactly what you want when you are trying to challenging for the title he has a big part to play in the defeat to arbroath.

Yeah I'm well aware he has his shortcomings but that's the reason we have a goalkeeper coach who's supposed to fine tune those flaws, does that mean the coach is poor and liable to make the same mistakes if hes called upon to stand in, or that the young keeper will be the same if he takes over.

I've said it before and say it again, whether we're challenging for the title or not, the biggest problem we have is further up the park along with that fecking awful injury prone, never settled defence in front of the Keeper.

17 minutes ago, SerieA said:

No coach will fully resolve Dabrowski’s cross ball and kicking flaws.

I agree ti an extent. You can improve a player massively with the right coaching. You can also build their confidence by playing them with a consistent and decent defence, but there will still be inherent flaws in theor game. Kevin will always choose punch the ball because its what he's comfortable with and has probably played that way from a young age. Same with his kicking he could improve but he's never going to be a sweeper like Neuer 

1 hour ago, SerieA said:

No coach will fully resolve Dabrowski’s cross ball and kicking flaws.

1 hour ago, pub car king said:

I agree ti an extent. You can improve a player massively with the right coaching. You can also build their confidence by playing them with a consistent and decent defence, but there will still be inherent flaws in theor game. Kevin will always choose punch the ball because its what he's comfortable with and has probably played that way from a young age. Same with his kicking he could improve but he's never going to be a sweeper like Neuer 

As this suggests, coaches mould a player from existing material rather than conjure one out of mud. A good coach, and since Thomson runs a successful side business training keepers you might well adjudge him as such, will take a player and work to his strengths and try to improve his weaknesses. Exercises can improve kicking direction and speed by increments, but not by leaps and bounds. Training can improve decision-making on when and how to kick, but that also takes time and experience. Big Kev is at this level for a reason, he’s moved up to the Scottish Championship as a young (for a keeper) starter to improve and make himself better. This is a challenging step up, and he’s done quite well for having a makeshift defence in front of him the whole season. He’s clearly more confident, more commanding and comes out for balls on occasion now. I look forward to his continued development and hope he will be with us when we get promoted because it will be at least partially because of him and his improvement.

Got to laugh at some Dunfermline fans. Some saying hit them in the pocket and boycott the game over £2. I think with 5k home fans a few Dunfermline fans not supporting their team isn't really going to hurt us. Also slagging off our plastic pitch that rarely sees a game cancelled, and games played on perfectly flat surface. When their pitch is a mess, they can't play a passing game on it and was it not the Pars that brought in a glorified carpet which players got severe burns on and had balls taking funny bounces on. 

5 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Got to laugh at some Dunfermline fans. Some saying hit them in the pocket and boycott the game over £2. I think with 5k home fans a few Dunfermline fans not supporting their team isn't really going to hurt us. Also slagging off our plastic pitch that rarely sees a game cancelled, and games played on perfectly flat surface. When their pitch is a mess, they can't play a passing game on it and was it not the Pars that brought in a glorified carpet which players got severe burns on and had balls taking funny bounces on. 

So you think 24 quid is reasonable for a ticket in the Scottish championship?

Regarding the pitch, I couldn't agree more tbh.

1 hour ago, Rob1885 said:

So you think 24 quid is reasonable for a ticket in the Scottish championship?

Regarding the pitch, I couldn't agree more tbh.

£24 is steep I agree but unfortunately everything costs more and if you want to support a football club its going to cost.

I don't have a season ticket so I'm having to pay it and if Dunfermline chose to do the same I would pay it.

I'm also happy to pay a little more if it means that kids get a reduced rate as they are the future of any club.

First time in a while I've not agreed with what IM had to say. I get it might have not been a night to rant and rave but we didn't deserve to win the game, we utterly fell apart. I'd hope what has been said behind closed doors is very different because it's hard to believe his 'they gave me everything schtick'.

God he's opened up the wounds again.