The New Raith Rovers Thread

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

Versus a clear spot elsewhere? Just saying.

Just don’t , honestly think you spout stuff on here because your  bored and want a bite, don’t think Paul Hanlon will worry about competing with fordyce and Murray for a jersey and Stevenson will be our starting LB, 

2 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Just don’t , honestly think you spout stuff on here because your  bored and want a bite, don’t think Paul Hanlon will worry about competing with fordyce and Murray for a jersey and Stevenson will be our starting LB, 

To be fair TX loves a player playing out of position or a youngster getting a game. Stevenson has played LB for years and occasionally plays in midfield but not as a centre back.

On another note Ross Callachan some how gets a move to Motherwell even though he never kicked a ball last season for Ross County.

16 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

To be fair TX loves a player playing out of position or a youngster getting a game. Stevenson has played LB for years and occasionally plays in midfield but not as a centre back.

On another note Ross Callachan some how gets a move to Motherwell even though he never kicked a ball last season for Ross County.

Tx just loves to be a bit controversial and do the mental gymnastics to see if he can get make everyone believe something if he repeats it enough 

3 hours ago, Been going too long said:

Tx just loves to be a bit controversial and do the mental gymnastics to see if he can get make everyone believe something if he repeats it enough 

Nope. I’m simply saying a player winding down his career is likely to either want a role where he starts at a lower level or a position where he can teach others and learn to coach. Hanlon AND Stevenson always seemed an unlike pair of signings to me because of their usual positions. People can say that Stevenson and Hanlon would start with Fordyce and have Murray pushed to the side, but from an outside players point of view, Murray has been with IM for a bit now, and they haven’t. There’s two or three other teams in the Championship that could offer Hanlon a near certain starting role AT his usual position, so why is it out of line to suggest he may look elsewhere? If we were so attractive, he’d have probably already signed, so perhaps he is out of the country, or perhaps he’s looking at options.

You want to make up insight into my desires and schemes, feel free, but you’re 100% wrong. I’d love to seen Hanlon rocking up at SP, but I don’t think it’s likely with all the options out there that need CB’s more than us.

3 hours ago, raith1974 said:

Not so much, at least as far as out of position players go. I think Corr leaving showed us he believes that the starting CB roles are already taken. I also think Dick is IM’s man and will be at LB, if not LWB…so that leaves a question on Stevenson, and LCB is a natural progression for him in a back three, with Murray in the middle and Fordyce on the right. Our next RWB signing or assignment is then the question…and is that perhaps what IM was priming Matthew’s for? I disliked the idea at first, but after thinking about it, it’s a little more interesting (that make you happier on the out of position player push?)…although perhaps Brown is better suited to terrorizing defenders in that case.

Regardless, if IM is moving to a back 3, we’ve got some very delicate questions to ask about who is starting in that middle five.

Saw a question on fb that asked who is the best German that's played for your club. I've supported the club since 1977 and can only think of 2, Lars Lokotsch loanee from Livi and Mathias Jack. I spent quite a few years in the Army so might be someone I've missed.

Edited by MICMAC

As for other foreign players 96/97 Soren Anderson only played 8 times for us, Kent Bergersson and Carsten Hallum only played 6 times each. Am I the only one who thinks they played a lot more than they did. 

Hallum was a bit meh but the other 2 were class. Bergersson in the win up at Tannadice was a class above.

7 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

What's your thoughts behind preferring Ashcroft? For me Hanlon has a lot more experience and is a player who could consistently still play in the top flight. It's a no brainer imo. 

Maybe it’s a money thing, it’s all speculative really. Some say he’s signed so I’ll wait and see. 

You’re miles off on this one Tx. Hanlon would be a guaranteed started here ahead of either Murray or Fordyce. Stevenson is about 5”7. He won’t be anywhere near centre back and will be first choice ahead of Dick. He might not manage to play 50 odd games a season at his age so I’m sure Dick will still get a fair few games, he just won’t be a mainstay.

4 hours ago, TxRover said:

Nope. I’m simply saying a player winding down his career is likely to either want a role where he starts at a lower level or a position where he can teach others and learn to coach. Hanlon AND Stevenson always seemed an unlike pair of signings to me because of their usual positions. People can say that Stevenson and Hanlon would start with Fordyce and have Murray pushed to the side, but from an outside players point of view, Murray has been with IM for a bit now, and they haven’t. There’s two or three other teams in the Championship that could offer Hanlon a near certain starting role AT his usual position, so why is it out of line to suggest he may look elsewhere? If we were so attractive, he’d have probably already signed, so perhaps he is out of the country, or perhaps he’s looking at options.

You want to make up insight into my desires and schemes, feel free, but you’re 100% wrong. I’d love to seen Hanlon rocking up at SP, but I don’t think it’s likely with all the options out there that need CB’s more than us.

Not so much, at least as far as out of position players go. I think Corr leaving showed us he believes that the starting CB roles are already taken. I also think Dick is IM’s man and will be at LB, if not LWB…so that leaves a question on Stevenson, and LCB is a natural progression for him in a back three, with Murray in the middle and Fordyce on the right. Our next RWB signing or assignment is then the question…and is that perhaps what IM was priming Matthew’s for? I disliked the idea at first, but after thinking about it, it’s a little more interesting (that make you happier on the out of position player push?)…although perhaps Brown is better suited to terrorizing defenders in that case.

Regardless, if IM is moving to a back 3, we’ve got some very delicate questions to ask about who is starting in that middle five.

No worries Tx we will soon find out 😉

1 hour ago, Jilted John said:

You’re miles off on this one Tx. Hanlon would be a guaranteed started here ahead of either Murray or Fordyce. Stevenson is about 5”7. He won’t be anywhere near centre back and will be first choice ahead of Dick. He might not manage to play 50 odd games a season at his age so I’m sure Dick will still get a fair few games, he just won’t be a mainstay.

Too simple and rational an answer 😂😂

2 hours ago, MICMAC said:

As for other foreign players 96/97 Soren Anderson only played 8 times for us, Kent Bergersson and Carsten Hallum only played 6 times each. Am I the only one who thinks they played a lot more than they did. 

Hallum was a bit meh but the other 2 were class. Bergersson in the win up at Tannadice was a class above.

No, I'm the same. Soren Anderson was quality. Only bright spot in that season.

4 hours ago, MICMAC said:

Saw a question on fb that asked who is the best German that's played for your club. I've supported the club since 1977 and can only think of 2, Lars Lokotsch loanee from Livi and Mathias Jack. I spent quite a few years in the Army so might be someone I've missed.

Simon Mensing was born in Germany if that counts ??

5 hours ago, TxRover said:

Euan Murray was carrying a shoulder injury for the majority of last season.

If having 3 quality centre backs means we can allow players to properly recuperate from injury, rather than applying sticky plasters to them on a weekly basis, without significantly weakening the starting 11, then I'm all for it.

I'm sure Alan Haliday was in the crowd last night in Cologne.

I imagine he'd be the one that sorts out registrations and such like. So him being pished in Germany might cause a delay in paperwork going through 

47 minutes ago, pub car king said:

I'm sure Alan Haliday was in the crowd last night in Cologne.

I imagine he'd be the one that sorts out registrations and such like. So him being pished in Germany might cause a delay in paperwork going through 

I saw Brian Graham with his boy on his shoulders

1 hour ago, Beastie Russell said:

Euan Murray was carrying a shoulder injury for the majority of last season.

If having 3 quality centre backs means we can allow players to properly recuperate from injury, rather than applying sticky plasters to them on a weekly basis, without significantly weakening the starting 11, then I'm all for it.

Exactly bud