The New Raith Rovers Thread

Sign of madness is doing the exact same thing over and over and to expect different results. Think we proved last season playing that formation against  Airdrie with Easton and Connolly out wide and two sitting mids does not work, but lets try for a 5th time.

After the initial 10 mins we looked well short of any pace, craft or any type of clue to unlock Airdrie again. McCabe tactically outsmarts Murray yet again.

Edited by R12ATH

Pace and Physicality is and has been missing and should have been addressed in the summer.

Hamilton has generally been poor since we signed him, that could be him or formation.  A replacement striker must be identified and signed.

Connelly has not been the same player he was 2 seasons ago. 

Mullin I've never been impressed as he never takes on a full back. Both Connelly and Mullin lack pace and directness. One IMO needs to go probably on loan with a new right winger brought in.

Freeman was brought in and first league game relegated to the bench. Midfielder plays in defence again. If that's the case another rightback needs to be signed probably on loan. 

We still need a 4th centre back and a dominate centre mid as Byrne is not that style.

Unlikely to happen as that's 5 signings but could if we are prepared to put a couple of the squad out on loan not including Montague who will likely go at somepoint this season.

26 minutes ago, Stardog_champion said:

Making excuses for a busted flush already. He did Jack shit last season too, so what was the excuse then????

Sorry, but could you please point out where I made excuses for Hamilton? 

I was replying to a post questioning why we started Vaughan, despite him not playing in preseason or the League Cup. Necessity is the answer. 

Yeah anyone that thinks we'll be anywhere near the top of the table is kidding themselves. We'll be somewhere between 4th and 6th probably. 

We look no better than we did in the second half of last season and we've not addressed the weaknesses we showed then at all. 

Really disappointing but not very surprising. 

25 minutes ago, SanStarko said:

Could be even worse next weekend.  Hanlon is injured, Fordyce injured himself, Stevenson went down in the second half and it looked bad but he stayed on.  Murray went down not long after Fordyce went off, he stayed on but didn't look overly comfortable.  Hamilton's hamstring went within seconds, Smith pulled something too not long after but stayed on as we were already down to 10 men.  

We could end up with one hell of a makeshift defence next week.

Add Brown to that list too. Apparently Hanlon thinks the plastic pitch is to blame for putting too much strain on his joints. That was the talk around me in the stand today anyway. 

We have a hell of a lot of issues to sort out. We have looked far too pedestrian in the friendlies, in the cup and now in the league. Byrne is a passenger, Stanton hasn’t been the same player since his injury, Connolly has had two good games in the last year, Hamilton can’t be relied on to stay fit and Smith isn’t a centre forward. 

I don’t dislike Mullin as a player but as you mention raith1974, he lacks pace and as such, isn’t suited to the way Murray usually sets us up. He reminds me a bit of a poor man’s John Collins….won’t beat a man one on one often but has decent movement, can shift the ball fast out his feet and has good delivery….that would have worked a treat in the 90’s with Dalziel/Brewster/Graham attacking everything in the box!

I’ve not seen Freeman play yet but being on the bench today is surely a concern? What I do know, be it Freeman…Matthews…Dick or Stevenson…we lack natural pace from fullback down both sides which is never good.

Too early to start panicking but I hope we see a few new faces in the next week or two

4 minutes ago, Pride of Fife said:

I don’t dislike Mullin as a player but as you mention raith1974, he lacks pace and as such, isn’t suited to the way Murray usually sets us up. He reminds me a bit of a poor man’s John Collins….won’t beat a man one on one often but has decent movement, can shift the ball fast out his feet and has good delivery….that would have worked a treat in the 90’s with Dalziel/Brewster/Graham attacking everything in the box!

I’ve not seen Freeman play yet but being on the bench today is surely a concern? What I do know, be it Freeman…Matthews…Dick or Stevenson…we lack natural pace from fullback down both sides which is never good.

Too early to start panicking but I hope we see a few new faces in the next week or two

Nah, panic now. Saves time later.

Just now, Stardog_champion said:

At least you your happy that’s the main thing…..right?!?!

Never been happy in my life, what are you talking about now?

That was diabolical.

Hoof ball nonsense in the second half.

Zero cutting edge in the final third.

1st shot on target in the 70th minute by Vaughan from the halfway line.

It’s not panic or an overreaction..just got to accept we’ll unlikely be challenging at the top with this squad. No pace in the team and we don’t have firepower up top. Average age of the squad is far too old. 

The injuries are a massive concern. Brown, hearing 4 weeks out? Hanlon MIA, Fordyce, who knows, Hamilton will likely be weeks / months, Murray ??? More midfielders playing in defence, yay!

Hope the bod can find the money to bring in some much needed additions otherwise we could see a very low points total a few weeks in.

Really difficult one to ask the board for more money on top of what they have already spent. I’m sure we will be phoning Stevie May on Monday morning and offering him a 4yr deal though.

Interesting comment Murray made about the players not being fit enough, particularly with the new guy starting on the role. I definitely don’t disagree though. We look well off the pace.

Edited by Jilted John

Just now, Jilted John said:

Interesting comment Murray made about the players not being fit enough, particularly with the new guy starting on the role. I definitely don’t disagree though. We look well off the pace.

This is an incredibly worrying comment from Murray and it's even more worrying if the evidence is supporting it. 

What the hell were we doing in preseason?

2 minutes ago, Michael W said:

This is an incredibly worrying comment from Murray and it's even more worrying if the evidence is supporting it. 

What the hell were we doing in preseason?

We came back later after the play offs and I'm guessing he must feel we aren't up to speed yet. We really should be though. 

No Hanlon or Brown.

Murray, Fordyce, Stanton, Hamilton and Vaughan either just back or not 100%....and if in fact anyone was 100% then heaven help us.

Coaching staff tactically out-thought (again) and team out fought and out manoeuvred. 

I was disappointed with Murray & Potter's signings last season, despite being in the minority I'm dissapointed with the signings so far this season.

BBC stat's tell the story perfectly, Airdrie deserved winners, Rovers will need to improve vastly to finish top 4 never mind win the league.

5 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

Really difficult one to ask the board for more money on top of what they have already spent. I’m sure we will be phoning Stevie May on Monday morning and offering him a 4yr deal though.

I mean, it was him that pitched Vaughan in after not a minute of pre season, Stanton after not training due to illness. His job is training these guys, if they arent fit, and he doesn't put a fit 11 out, that's on him.

Same as Cove, same as Partick last season where our blushes were saved by two late goals, Murray just doesn't seem that bothered about us hitting the ground running. That's three seasons running we've been dugshite on day 1.

40 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

Add Brown to that list too. Apparently Hanlon thinks the plastic pitch is to blame for putting too much strain on his joints. That was the talk around me in the stand today anyway. 

We have a hell of a lot of issues to sort out. We have looked far too pedestrian in the friendlies, in the cup and now in the league. Byrne is a passenger, Stanton hasn’t been the same player since his injury, Connolly has had two good games in the last year, Hamilton can’t be relied on to stay fit and Smith isn’t a centre forward. 

I mean, if thats true, and its likely not, then show him the door now. Its not like he didn't know about the pitch etc before he signed and if he's unable to play on it, thats on him, not us. 

I doubt its true though, i've heard some utterly mental talk from the stands about some players that others then "agree" with that turns out to be nonsense. 

9 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

We came back later after the play offs and I'm guessing he must feel we aren't up to speed yet. We really should be though. 

Yeah there's no doubt that the players get far less time off when that happens. It's an extra three and a bit weeks that's taken up. 

However, they still had around a month off and there have been several weeks to bring everyone back up to speed with what limited preseason time now exists and the League Cup, which retains a bit of a preseason feel to it. 

There is no excuse for this at all. 

Was struck by just how experienced Raith’s team are when watching them today. Other than maybe Dabrowski every starting player must have 200 appearances, some of them way more than that, all at a decent level.

Do Raith actually have a bit too much experience? Obviously they’re not helped by how Murray set up tactically but it all felt a bit unexciting. I thought Gibson did make somewhat of a difference when he came on but a bit like last season, Raith just feel a bit stodgy. One or two younger players with a bit more energy and pace could make a difference.

Edited by Mr November

2 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Was struck by just how experienced Raith’s team are when watching them today. Other than maybe Dabrowski every starting player must have 200 appearances, some of them way more than that, all at a decent level.

Do Raith actually have a bit too much experience? Obviously they’re not helped by how Murray set up tactically but it all felt a bit unexciting. I thought Gibson did make somewhat of a difference when he came on but a bit like last season, Raith just feel a bit stodgy.

We very much miss Brown in terms of making the midfield dynamic, and Stanton would usually be better at covering ground and using the ball than he was today. Up top is problematic. Vaughan is weeks away from full fitness. Smith is a willing runner but Hamilton seems perma crocked.