The New Raith Rovers Thread

When I posted Barry Robson (and jokingly Neil Warnock), I actually thought about him, as in the guy who replaced them as caretaker but could't remember his name. I even got as far as checking Wiki but neither PL or NW are on the list of former managers.... and I got sidetracked.

Could be a very decent shout, risky but maybe a masterstroke., wonder if he overlapped with Mickey at Milton K Dons?

I can't but help declare that this is a total shambles, despite the "it'll be okay" attitude from the Barrowman disciples. 

I mean what a gamble you have taken on firing a manager who's taken you within 180 minutes of promotion to the SPL - one league game into the new season. It's almost unheard of.

Closest I can think of is Bowyer at Dundee, but they at least jottered him before he was given a pre season to plan for the future or, as of your case, sign aging jobbers on 2/3 year contracts. I just can't fathom how the club think they can suddenly upgrade on Murray, unless they have sheer arrogant disregard for the competition they will have this season.

If yous appoint Courts/Potter/Thomson it would appear nothing more than a 'jobs for the boys" case. And nepotism has never worked at this level of football.

Edited by Right in the Stanchion

6 hours ago, Right in the Stanchion said:

I can't but help declare that this is a total shambles, despite the "it'll be okay" attitude from the Barrowman disciples. 

I mean what a gamble you have taken on firing a manager who's taken you within 180 minutes of promotion to the SPL - one league game into the new season. It's almost unheard of.

Simplified, we've sacked a manager who wasn't getting much of a tune out of a good squad. 

This has been done in enough time to give our new manager a good bit of the transfer window. 

The board made a decision with the 3yr deal and then decided that it wasn't working and did something about it. 

12 minutes ago, Starksdynamo said:

Don't think Leven is for me.  Nothing wrong with him really, but I'd be surprised if we appointed someone with such little experience.

Can’t see it being him or anyone who’s not managed before either. Going by Barrowman’s interview, they have someone in mind who they think can come in and get the team playing in a certain way. Someone without a proven track record at some sort of level doesn’t fit that bill.

Total shambles is a laugh TBF. In the past decade we've signed a rapist, loaned out our best young forward to a club who would in turn relegate us, and played Ryan Stevenson in goals. 

I'm confident enough we'll not appoint internally, and Thomson left Kelty after he continued to hoor himself out for every job going.  Both would be poor appointments.

If it's called "nepotism" because we end up appointing a manager who worked with one person (McKenzie) at Kelty but who also took Dundee United to a third place finish and Europe, then you'll have a hard sell on that angle. 

16 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Total shambles is a laugh TBF. In the past decade we've signed a rapist, loaned out our best young forward to a club who would in turn relegate us, and played Ryan Stevenson in goals. 

I'm confident enough we'll not appoint internally, and Thomson left Kelty after he continued to hoor himself out for every job going.  Both would be poor appointments.

If it's called "nepotism" because we end up appointing a manager who worked with one person (McKenzie) at Kelty but who also took Dundee United to a third place finish and Europe, then you'll have a hard sell on that angle. 

Almost all of Courts reputation is being pinned on one season at Dundee United, since then his managerial record hasn't been great. I'd be willing to give him a chance if he were to come in, but again, it would be a massive wage drop from where he is now, is he willing to part with that for a go back in Scotland? 

As ever when there’s something to be speculated on, there are a few folk desperate to appear ‘in the know’. Extends to both the reasons for/timing of the sacking, to who Rovers have in mind as replacement.

Ultimately, as boring as it is, we’ll know when we know. The board have rolled the dice; let’s just hope it’s a gamble that pays off.

Murray seemed a genuinely good guy. I’m honestly still not sure how I feel that he’s been binned. It’s done, however. The king is dead, long live the king… etc. 

43 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

United finished 4th under Courts in 21/22, 13pts behind Hearts. They won 12 out of 38 league games, averaging less than a goal a game. That was his glory season. Hardly inspiring.

14 minutes ago, Rover the Moon said:

United finished 4th under Courts in 21/22, 13pts behind Hearts. They won 12 out of 38 league games, averaging less than a goal a game. That was his glory season. Hardly inspiring.

Finishing 4th in the top league is a good season for all clubs in the country except for 2, and it is acceptable season for another 1. Regardless of how it is achieved.

I think folk might need to temper their expectations. We're a 2nd tier club of average to good quality with a new regime still trying to get things right on and off the pitch. Unless we've go some serious pulling power I don't think whoever comes in is going to be some super highly successful consistent manager.

2 minutes ago, AllanJM said:

Latest odds from McBookie.  Not sure how I feel about Leven. Certainly did ok as caretaker for Aberdeen but clearly lacking in experience.

IMG_6861.png

More importantly, what sort of insane person has that little battery left on their phone at 9.47am?

8 minutes ago, AllanJM said:

Latest odds from McBookie.  Not sure how I feel about Leven. Certainly did ok as caretaker for Aberdeen but clearly lacking in experience.

IMG_6861.png

Magilton not quoted? 😔 

Liam Fox quoted! 😧 

I can’t wait to be underwhelmed by the new boy. 

I actually quite liked Murray. When he brought in Mickey as Assistant Manager I liked that move too. This new boy better do the business.

I’ve got myself into the mindset where I’m happy enough if it’s Kevin Thomson. At least he’s seen a season out and got a team to win a league, even if it was just League 2. 

What is life without a few surprises and a little intrigue?

Edited by Scary Bear

1 minute ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Severe lack of ITK posters in this thread imo. If this was the Airdrie thread everyone and their grannie would be posting about seeing Sam Allardyce in Starbucks at the ground. What’s going on?

Check the new manager thread. Zidane sighted.

This constant crap on here, I'm shocked, it's a risk, a gamble, crazy, he took you within touching distance of the SPL. 

1. If you're not a Raith fan then you haven't been watching that absolute turgid crap we have for over a year. 

2. He was a one trick pony who had no plan B, as proved against Airdrie. 

3. He kept playing players out of position and with Corr decided to play him in the playoffs when he wasn't deemed good enough during the season??

4. The whole stuff with Millen. Truth has never been divulged.

5. He has had the biggest budget of any Raith manager and hasn't recruited great in my eyes, especially over the summer. 

6. Blamed players fitness after the Airdrie defeat. It's his job to get them fit. Absolute shocker of an excuse. 

7. Clearly is unable to get the best out of players as Easton, Stanton, Byrne, Hamilton the list goes on, have not produced anything of real note since last year. 

The board were wrong for giving him a 3 year contract which I voiced at the time. Results were terrible for months after that announcement. We werent even playing great before then, it was Murrayball that was getting us results. Once or twice fine but every game nearly it was being done. No convincing wins other that Arbroath at the end of the season. It's the correct decision but should have happened after the convincing County defeat.