The New Raith Rovers Thread

24 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Time will tell Tx, time will tell, for all we know the new management may already be at the club.

If you're not ITK, you're doing your level best to appear so, repeating this line. Put up or shut up.

44 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Murray committed a cardinal sin by proving repeatedly he had a weakness he seemingly couldn’t address, as proven by matches against Airdrie. The official line is they’ve been considering this for six months, or right after they granted a 3 year extension…

….so they would have started feeling buyers remorse almost instantly when form pretty much dropped off a cliff. I think “lined-up” is excessive, but I’m confident that they have multiple people they would prefer on a list Potter and Barrowman have. The huge question is…

…how attractive is the Raith job? Let’s face something, Scottish football success isn’t a lovely motorway to roses, bouquets and offers of jobs in England or Europe, it’s a rickety cartpath that has been successfully navigated by a relatively elite few. So the real goal would be getting either an up and coming young manager eager to prove themselves OR an experienced hand either needing a redemption job or another promotion drive season for the CV. In that context, the Raith job is pretty decent, with much improved facilities, a decent basis on the park, and plenty of exposure.

The question would be does he fit the bill…is he the eager young wunderkinder flavor of the month?

The statements about this having been a decision mulled over for six months or so, with them reportedly deciding he deserved a chance to start the next season does suggest they considered that, but were convinced after yet another shitting of the bed versus Airdrie that Murray isn’t the choice due to a lack of tactical flexibility. He’s a pretty good manager, and he selected players to be pursued that the Board and Management brain trust felt were a good choice, but he couldn’t mould them into a shape to defeat the same opponent in five tries. He was them allowed to adjust the mix and then failed the sixth time, which may have suggested to the Board a tactical blindness that perhaps Ross County exploited at the end of last season, and again this season.

Repeated failures on the same test seems to have been the catalyst for this change, and while a list may have already been drawn up, I’m not sure we had anything lined up. Especially if the leadership are believing we’re a hot commodity to for a go-getter to prove themselves, then I’d expect them to want to get the decision right over now, thinking a good manager can turn what we have with tactical changes, adjustments via a loan or three till January, and then being able to make the necessary adjustments. Perhaps Barrowman’s comments on budget are a coded message to applicants and targets of that ability?

Murray seems like the total opposite of what Raith's structure requires. I know they still call it 'First Team Manager' but looking at Raith's structure it looks much more like the modern 'Head Coach' role where he only plays a limited role in recruitment and his job is basically to coach and drill the players he is provided with. It's been covered a million times but that just isn't his strength.

I think Murray is much more of an 'old school' type manager who is good at recruiting players that can do a job and building a culture at a club. With us, early on we had a Director of Football giving him players that he clearly didn't want (Thomas Robert anyone?), but when he was given responsibility alone he signed basically our entire promotion winning team from the lower leagues - Watson, Frizzell, Gallagher, Fordyce, Smith, McCabe, Easton and Ballantyne on a pre-contract, all players who were going nowhere. I think he'll go on to have a long lower league career doing similar jobs that he did at Airdrie and early on at Raith - off the top of my head a club like Queen of the South would be great for him. Turning round stagnating clubs and setting them on the right course again. But more and more clubs at higher levels are going for the model Raith have so it's hard to see him managing at a much higher level.

Raith seem to be wanting someone who excels on the training field and setting the team up, not the other aspects that a manager would traditionally have taken responsibility for. I could be miles off but I think that reduces a chance of a more experienced manager as they likely won't be as willing to work in that structure, whereas any young manager wanting to make a career will need to get used to working that way as that seems to be the way clubs are going.

4 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

If you're not ITK, you're doing your level best to appear so, repeating this line. Put up or shut up.

Not ITK,  Feckin helluva job you cant post anything on here without folk like you jumping on it, as for repeating it I've only said it twice on the basis of Hanlon and Stevenson on 3 year deals at their age,     

1 hour ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

I can't for the life of me understand how anyone could possibly have been happy sitting watching us last year, especially after Murrayball stopped working.

I cerainly pissed my pants when we knocked Partick out of the play offs with 3 goals from only 7 efforts on target over 210 minutes of football 

Ruthless efficiency 

47 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Murray seems like the total opposite of what Raith's structure requires...be wanting someone who excels on the training field and setting the team up, not the other aspects that a manager would traditionally have taken responsibility for. I could be miles off but I think that reduces a chance of a more experienced manager as they likely won't be as willing to work in that structure, whereas any young manager wanting to make a career will need to get used to working that way as that seems to be the way clubs are going.

This is absolutely the way they've set it up, and your analysis of this just had me nodding. Sometimes the trees are just too close.

This leads to the inevitable combing of the list of candidates to try to see who the shoe will fit. Cinderella was found once already, the slipper was fitted and they got hitched...but then the quarreling began and the prince has had second thoughts. Now we get a more orderly process to find the next "princess", as the last one seemed a wee bit rushed due to other teams searching at the same time.

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Murray seems like the total opposite of what Raith's structure requires. I know they still call it 'First Team Manager' but looking at Raith's structure it looks much more like the modern 'Head Coach' role where he only plays a limited role in recruitment and his job is basically to coach and drill the players he is provided with. It's been covered a million times but that just isn't his strength.

I think Murray is much more of an 'old school' type manager who is good at recruiting players that can do a job and building a culture at a club. With us, early on we had a Director of Football giving him players that he clearly didn't want (Thomas Robert anyone?), but when he was given responsibility alone he signed basically our entire promotion winning team from the lower leagues - Watson, Frizzell, Gallagher, Fordyce, Smith, McCabe, Easton and Ballantyne on a pre-contract, all players who were going nowhere. I think he'll go on to have a long lower league career doing similar jobs that he did at Airdrie and early on at Raith - off the top of my head a club like Queen of the South would be great for him. Turning round stagnating clubs and setting them on the right course again. But more and more clubs at higher levels are going for the model Raith have so it's hard to see him managing at a much higher level.

Raith seem to be wanting someone who excels on the training field and setting the team up, not the other aspects that a manager would traditionally have taken responsibility for. I could be miles off but I think that reduces a chance of a more experienced manager as they likely won't be as willing to work in that structure, whereas any young manager wanting to make a career will need to get used to working that way as that seems to be the way clubs are going.

I think your right mate and feel it will be a younger manager/coach 

2 hours ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

The pars were sh*te. Beat them 5 times what about Arbroath and Airdrie. Honestly, if you were happy watching that crap, then school football would be a joy for you?!! 

I actually get more of a buzz watching my kids team playing these days. The Airdrie and Arbroath results were very disappointing but the five wins over Pars, shitey or not, were a first for me. Long may that dominance continue.

2 hours ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

So is it wrong to want to see some kind of football with tactics being played? I mean this is professional football and they are all on decent wages. 

Jesus, no wonder wee team mentality gets thrown around. Nobody seems to want to aim higher and demand a set standard. How dare a paying fan have an opinion. I can't for the life of me understand how anyone could possibly have been happy sitting watching us last year, especially after Murrayball stopped working. It was dire. At the end of the day, what the rest of you think is irrelevant, clearly the board seen what I seen and those with eyes hence he got his P45. If you want a Murray love in, follow him to his next club. 

The standard of Scottish football is there for all to see. You just have to look at European results as a benchmark. As it goes, I think the standard in the Championship is okay, given the players available.

I’m not sure what you mean by wee team mentality, but Scotland isn’t exactly stacked with big teams. We are just one of many wee teams. 

I hope the Board come through for you and the football is scintillating and successful.

1 hour ago, Arthur Reid McDermott said:

The more I think about the Brian Graham rumours, the more it makes sense. It would fill the manager and striker roles for one salary.  Unless, as Broken Algorithms alluded to, he pulls a Hammy on game one!

He still has another two years on his contract with us as a player, never mind his contract as the women’s team manager. He’s our captain and plays just about every minute of every game. 

You’d have to be offering us crazy money to get him. 

11 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

He still has another two years on his contract with us as a player, never mind his contract as the women’s team manager. He’s our captain and plays just about every minute of every game. 

In all seriousness, he's as good as in with the bricks and will want to see a title in his twilight years as a player. His lads Thistle daft too.

11 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I saw a rumour about a manager release clause for him, guessing that's just someone talking shite?

Just to add to the grumblings amongst our support.

Does anyone else club are starting to take the piss with what they're trying to punt us. 

The below subscription for a programme equates to just under £6 a copy. 

Now I've no intention of taking this out and neither does anyone else. 

Screenshot_20240807_163659_Fanbase.jpg

Just now, pub car king said:

Does anyone else club are starting to take the piss with what they're trying to punt us. 

I've not bought a program in years, this is not the kind of offer that's going to entice to buy one in the future.

24 minutes ago, pub car king said:

How much are the programmes each week at the gates and how much does next day or 1st class postage cost per programme? 

37 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Be pies next