The New Raith Rovers Thread

That defence today had the look of somebody who's never seen them play asking if so and so could play in whatever position.  

Either Potter or Collins likes a 3 at the back. It worked well against Livi but we never had the players to do it today. You could have just about cobbled a 4 at the back together but the right side would be an issue. 

31 minutes ago, Nelson said:

That shirt/pullover combo is a harbinger of failure.

Murray wore that to begin with but reverted to a tracksuit, in fact on occasions he looked like he'd slept in it but still. 

If Collins turns up in some shite tan chinos then we are in trouble. 

1 hour ago, Beachbum said:

It's not easy listening to him talk. He slurs over words at such a rate that you really need to concentrate when he gets started. That apart I don't like his confidence in playing Matthews in a back three when he's never played there before.

For a minute I thought you had appointed Robert F Kennedy Jr as your new manager.

1 hour ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Think we conceded in the first 10 minutes of the second half eight times last season in the league and playoffs, which sounds like a lot, but no idea if that's above average or not. When you look at the general timings of our goals last season though, our record was good in the first half, then absolutely hopeless from half time to 80 minutes, then exceptional for the last 10. 

Thought today felt like a greatest hits compilation of every single things that's held us back over the last few years, crowbarred into a 90 minute cup game. 

An injury list that means we start with a cobbled together defence, plenty of possession but nowhere near enough up top, criminal defending, and an early concession in the second half followed by a meek and utterly predictable capitulation. 

I thought for 30 minutes or so we looked pretty good and pressed Ayr really well, then it just seemed to stop. Whether that's because Ayr pulled themselves together or we just aren't fit enough to play like that I'm not sure, but United had enough chances in the first half to be a bit aggrieved at it being 2-0 at the interval. As for the second half, arguably as poor as we've been so far this season. 

I'd like to cling to the fact that we'll be better when injuries start to clear, but considering we've had a lengthy injury list for years, I'm struggling to get my hopes up too much. 

That's a fair summary. I'd also add in that the referee turned us down for what looked like a fair penalty shout, while also giving Ayr a penalty for a situation we saw play out last week (only with that, it was adjudged to be a non-penalty to us). That isn't an excuse mind you - if you're good enough you'll be winning games like that. It was absolutely criminal to lose a carbon copy of the same goal right from kick off. 

Our substitutions didn't have any positive impact on the game. We were clinging on, but then the likes of Vaughan and Connolly coming on didn't offer nearly as much success as we'd seen with Jamieson and Easton. Indeed, with Connolly it's very hard to justify him getting time on the pitch at the moment at all. Aside from a hat-trick in the league cup against a poor Stirling Albion side, he's done very little over the last season. I did think Freeman at least made a positive cameo in the short spell he was on. 

I'd echo what was said about what Beachbum says about Matthews. Normally, he'd be nowhere near centre back given we've got Hanlon, Murray and Fordyce in there - I don't think we should be entertaining it being anything other than an emergency situation.

I'd suggest we need at least two extra bodies in there over the next few weeks. I know that it's been suggested, but I'd be surprised if we've got them in for next week, or even the Falkirk game. 

Where to start with this game…

journey down was fine and first half was pleasing too. Looked like we were firing on all cylinders with the high press getting really good results. The amount of running that Jamieson done was incredible with Gibson a close second. If we didn’t have those two we’d have been beaten 3-0 in my opinion. Pick pocketing their defence continually leaving them to play the long ball. Smith had a good first half too.

You kinda knew when Easton, Gibson and Jamieson came off we weren’t going to score. Trying to shut up shop at 60 minutes at 1-2 was never going to work - hopefully not a sign of things to come.  I thought Mullen had about as poor a game as I’ve seen him have. Subs made no impact but obviously a few coming back from injury. 

Ayr very direct and effective with it, everything that we are not going forward really. Aside from Gibson and Jamieson we have zero acceleration or pace which leaves us to try and get goals from crosses and set pieces but we only really have Hanlon that has a realistic chance of getting on the end of them. 

In short, we are a small, one paced side that can play nice football. Most others have added height this season and we are struggling with pace and power.

9 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

That's a fair summary. I'd also add in that the referee turned us down for what looked like a fair penalty shout, while also giving Ayr a penalty for a situation we saw play out last week (only with that, it was adjudged to be a non-penalty to us). That isn't an excuse mind you - if you're good enough you'll be winning games like that. It was absolutely criminal to lose a carbon copy of the same goal right from kick off. 

Our substitutions didn't have any positive impact on the game. We were clinging on, but then the likes of Vaughan and Connolly coming on didn't offer nearly as much success as we'd seen with Jamieson and Easton. Indeed, with Connolly it's very hard to justify him getting time on the pitch at the moment at all. Aside from a hat-trick in the league cup against a poor Stirling Albion side, he's done very little over the last season. I did think Freeman at least made a positive cameo in the short spell he was on. 

I'd echo what was said about what Beachbum says about Matthews. Normally, he'd be nowhere near centre back given we've got Hanlon, Murray and Fordyce in there - I don't think we should be entertaining it being anything other than an emergency situation.

I'd suggest we need at least two extra bodies in there over the next few weeks. I know that it's been suggested, but I'd be surprised if we've got them in for next week, or even the Falkirk game. 

Pretty much this. I wonder if Matthews was left there because Collins wanted a right footer in the backline, instead of Hanlon and Dick who are both lefties. 

I agree about Connolly, he's been a shadow of his former self from Murray's first season, we've got very little return from him overall. Injury didn't help, but I also don't think he's got what we need right now. I'm close to adding Mullin into that bracket too. I know he covers a massive amount of ground every game, but he's got little to no end product. That penalty-come-freekick (The ref pulled it back to the origin of the foul to be fair) was completely wasted by a guy who's main attribute is his dead ball delivery, he also tamely put a shot wide after we'd worked a good opportunity in the first half as well. It surprises me that he's not looked at for cover at right back before Matthews or Gibson at wingback. 

About to watch the national team in Portugal, that'll end the night well, but it has me thinking that we're very much similar to Scotland. An aging backline reliant on certain players being fit, a group of talent in midfield and nothing up front.

Edited by CountryBumpkin

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

I was honestly coming here to offer my condolences over that voice.  

Nobody in Troon sounds like this so don't blame us :lol:

Outside that I thought you were generally better than the 2-0 recently, moved the ball about and unsettled us first half, Vaughan looked like Vaughan when he came on as well. 

I think it'll pick up soon. 

Gives Mark Kerr vibes. 

For anyone going to the Q&A can someone please ask if they are getting to the bottom of injuries and why we get so many.

Do we expect to see any other injured players back for Friday.

Are we looking to bring players in before the Pars game and are they Potter signings or Collins signings. 

9 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

For anyone going to the Q&A can someone please ask if they are getting to the bottom of injuries and why we get so many.

Do we expect to see any other injured players back for Friday.

Are we looking to bring players in before the Pars game and are they Potter signings or Collins signings. 

The injuries aren’t related whatsoever. Fordyce did his foot on a challenge, Hamilton had a hamstring issue, Vaughan and Stanton are back after different issues. Just have to accept we have a core of players we have relied on probably too much and the void is great when they are out so it affects the team more.

I’d rather the manager not give an heads up to opposition teams if players will be back or not before a big derby. 

It’s been covered, heavily, already but what a sickener seeing that second half performance.

Subs had all the impact of subs being made for the sake of it. The changes that came about did nothing to improve the team, certainly.

I’m far from writing him off but Jamieson being signed to play wide was pointless. I’m far from convinced he’s going to be good enough to play centrally in his own right, however.

Felt Gibson was pretty flawless at right wing-back last weekend but today it just didn’t click for him. Ball kept getting caught up under his feet during counter attacks.

To not so much as lay a glove on them in the second half was mightily frustrating. Not helped by the panicked switch from balls to feet to the ball just being launched up the park to absolutely no avail whatsoever.

Still, it was sunny & the wee man enjoyed his first trip to Somerset.

2 hours ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

What the feck happened, I went out just before half time thinking this is going to be a good afternoon, and come home to this, jeezo a few of this team need moved on come January and better replacements brought in    

You’ve signed the auld feckers on 3 yr deals lol

6 minutes ago, Honestmen said:

You’ve signed the auld feckers on 3 yr deals lol

Funnily enough I wasnt referring to them, more the people in front of them, we've been too pedestrian in midfield and attack since January, that's the big problem  

Edited by SirJimmyofNic

10 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Funnily enough I wasnt referring to them, more the people in front of them, we've been too pedestrian in midfield and attack since January, that's the big problem  

I think the midfield have suffered the most with inconsistency, either players being injured, playing out of position to cover other injuries, not knowing what our best 11/formation is and of course Murrayball. 

I think our "ancient" defence are fine and will settle. Up front bring in a decent forward and/or get Hamilton fit and playing hopefully that'll be alright. 

We have a multitude of midfield players who can all do different things, just need to work out what to do with them individually amd as a group. 

1 minute ago, pub car king said:

I think the midfield have suffered the most with inconsistency, either players being injured, playing out of position to cover other injuries, not knowing what our best 11/formation is and of course Murrayball. 

I think our "ancient" defence are fine and will settle. Up front bring in a decent forward and/or get Hamilton fit and playing hopefully that'll be alright. 

We have a multitude of midfield players who can all do different things, just need to work out what to do with them individually amd as a group. 

Yep this multitude of midfielders is the cause of a lot of our problems, it's the one thing Murray is culpable of his penchant for them even from the start of his tenure, at the expense of what was really needed ( defenders and proper strikers) 

The highlights were interesting, for the penalty was Mathews arm in an unnatural position, I have my doubts, a dubious foul given before Easton was fouled again in the box, Dick not closing the man down better for the cross for the equaliser, and Dick again losing the ball from the kick off for the 3rd........... lots to work on,  but you can only play the players that are available 

Edited by SirJimmyofNic