The New Raith Rovers Thread

3 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Oakley was a bomb scare for us but did well enough at Arbroath by all accounts, I think he just came in at the wrong time as we were on the verge of falling apart. Could see him having success at a team that is rarely under pressure where he spends more time going forward than defending.

McPherson was pretty average in a poor side. There might be a player there but I'm not sure; he also did his ACL earlier this year which cut his loan spell short and may unfortunately end up being a longer term problem for him like many others.

Cheers, thats probably why McPherson hasn't found a club. 

13 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Cheers, thats probably why McPherson hasn't found a club. 

I actually didn't realise he was out of contract at Celtic, feel for him because that's got to be a tough situation as a young player.

1 minute ago, Rover1990 said:

Surprised Stuart McKinstry hasn't found a club yet surely worth a shot we need something different on the wings. 

I suspect the reason for that is that he's absolutely rubbish, while also being of the belief that he's too good for this level (which he isn't, at all).

12 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

I suspect the reason for that is that he's absolutely rubbish, while also being of the belief that he's too good for this level (which he isn't, at all).

He seemed to be highly rated at Motherwell.  Still only 21 so time for him to get himself a reality check maybe. 

Tomi Adeloye. Seemed to do well at Ayr and Partick. Looks like he is a fre agent. Quick and powerful. 

Gabby McGill still appears to be a free agent.

Alex Lowry centre mid and can create goals. Played several games in SPL and currently playing in Rangers B team.

Kanayo Megwa. Was very good last season at Airdrie, not getting on Hibs bench and we badly need a right back and wingback. 

Not sure of any decent right wingers.

2 hours ago, Rover1990 said:

Surprised Stuart McKinstry hasn't found a club yet surely worth a shot we need something different on the wings. 

Slow, underwhelming, light-weight and predictable at QP last year; for a team so bereft of quality at times the simple fact he spent a lot of his time on the bench should tell a story.

Not all players continue to progress with age from their early promise and I'd say he was one of them.  Don't believe the journalistic "Bielsa Babe" sycophancy either.  Genuinely don't like being severely critical but from his interviews last year etc, I'd be inclined to say that if his ability was only a fraction of his ego, he'd have signed for someone by now.  He's either being badly advised or has ideas above his station.

6 hours ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Ben McPherson and Marcel Oakley. Both right backs, both played championship with Queen's Park and the latter with Arbroath, both under 22 and released by Celtic and Birmingham respectively in the summer.

Oakley was underwhelming for us when he came in and seemed to spend a lot of time out of the team with non-defined issues, (injury/illness).  Wasn't anything great going forward and was at times rather suspect defensively.

McPherson was better, good going forward and had some really good games for us; dunno what it is with QP players and ACL's but his couldn't have happened at a worse time, (not that there's ever a good time).  Disappointing he's been released by Celtic given his injury but have thought he'd be worth a punt.

On 13/09/2024 at 23:31, FitbaSupporter said:

You tend to get grief if you question Dabrowski on here as he is a great shot stopper, but feels like his shit kicking/errors is seeping into the rest of defence and creating a nervousness that wasn’t there before. Could be because we don’t have a settled back line but definitely think there’s a Big Kev factor at play also. 

Dabrowski is a myth. He's a good shot stopper but he's slow and hesitant off his line and his kicking is suspect.

He was the last RR player off the pitch on Friday, holding his hand up showing five fingers for obvious reasons after last season. Maybe if he'd used that hand better you wouldn't have lost to Livingston as well. Fairly sure he conceded five goals in one sitting at East End Park in April 2023 so maybe it was to acknowledge that?

Megwa off to Partick for the season on loan, so not returning to Airdrie or joining Raith as some hoped. 

Did anyone have any answers or guesses for my questions yesterday?

21 hours ago, g martin said:

How much money do you think Murray was contractually entitled to recieve when he was sacked? Is there ballpark figures known for this sort of thing in the championship or just guess work. It clearly wasn't a high enough figure to trouble the board / affect cash flow in this case anyway.

It's probably a safe assumption that Collins would be entitled to more if he was theoretically sacked 6 or 7 months into this contract. I imagine it is pretty favourable to him after initially turning down the job, wanting security for having to move his family etc and the contract term bring 3 years? Would it be £100k? More? A lot more?

13 minutes ago, g martin said:

Megwa off to Partick for the season on loan, so not returning to Airdrie or joining Raith as some hoped. 

Did anyone have any answers or guesses for my questions yesterday?

No idea I guess is the best answer as it'll depend on separation terms. I seem to recall Barrowman indicating that it wasn't a value similar to the full term amount. Can't find the comment though, so could have been a fever dream. 

Not surprised Megwa is off there, if it stops Williams playing, he was shocking.

Cue the disbelief and outrage that we've not signed him

Edited by CountryBumpkin

3 minutes ago, mealsonwheels said:

Right. 

The last 5/6 weeks have been disappointing for sure but c'mon this is ridiculous from the courier!!

Screenshot_20240916-191217.png

Aye but he looked so happy in those signing pictures and our keeper didn't! 

3 hours ago, The Toun Clock said:

Dabrowski is a myth. He's a good shot stopper but he's slow and hesitant off his line and his kicking is suspect.

He was the last RR player off the pitch on Friday, holding his hand up showing five fingers for obvious reasons after last season. Maybe if he'd used that hand better you wouldn't have lost to Livingston as well. Fairly sure he conceded five goals in one sitting at East End Park in April 2023 so maybe it was to acknowledge that?

He was at least partly at fault for the goal, motioned to come, stopped, motioned, just incredibly hesitant. Flapped at another cross later on,and his distribution was absolutely awful. 

Take away the badge slapping and he's Deniz Mehmet. 

3 minutes ago, mealsonwheels said:

Right. 

The last 5/6 weeks have been disappointing for sure but c'mon this is ridiculous from the courier!!

Screenshot_20240916-191217.png

Statistically its accurate. But the summary is in one of the paragraphs under the headline 

Since then [2004/05], Raith have won at least two of their first five league matches, apart from in season 2006/07 when one win was accompanied by two draws and two defeats.

It is a completely different club to that of 2004, with the current regime making incredible changes to the infrastructure at Stark’s Park.

That’s a fantastic pickup from PT getting Megwa.

Was a standout on a couple of occasions vs us last season.

It really is astonishing how horrifically it’s turned at Starks.

180 minutes from being promoted to now dumped out the diddy cup, bottom of the league, zero goals from open play in the league, creating nothing in most games, non stop injuries to key players, Brown not kicked a ball in the league, downturn in individual performances, having the whole of Scottish questioning why Murray was binned after 1 game, 200 club issue, midfielders playing defence…again, don’t know what a striker looks like.

Having horrendous spells supporting teams like ours is to be expected but it really shouldn’t be happening right now. It was an easy build on last season. Get a RB (Megwa) and a striker. 

Morton narrowly missed out on relegation spot after starting the season horrendously, that was down to a 15/16 unbeaten run and a piss poor Arbroath side. I’m not confident as things stand we’ll turn this anytime soon. Some good news on Brown and Stanton plus a couple of fresh players are needed.

Hamilton, Falkirk and Morton away games feel crucial to me. Need at least 5/6 points.