Who's Going To Uni?

10 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I'm considering applying to the OU this year to do my Masters in History. I've thought about studying some more in the past, even potentially dropping out of work to do it, but I have a job I enjoy now and financial plans/commitments so part time would be the only way to go. We are also planning on moving to my fiancé's hometown which is visa-and-other-timing dependant but probably around two years from now, and as that is in the US this'll be my last chance to do it without dropping probably a good 5 figures, and we'd like to have kids at some point in the next few years so that'd be too much to juggle. My ideal situation would be to be able to do a PhD sometime in the future and make a career move but mainly just keen to study more and maybe to have a new, if not directly relevant, qualification that shows my broader interest and ability to juggle work and studying on my CV. Anyone done a Master's through the OU or part time, what was the workload like, would you recommend it etc? Appreciate any advice. 

If there's one thing P&B needs, it's another qualified historian...

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Fucking hell, Swansea. 

Just watch this pish. 2 minutes long. 

Imagine picking an example which has "found" and "findings" in the space of three words.

I don't think any of his ideas are getting past Turnitin, either.

22 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Shagging the students to banned for Oxford dons. 

Have any P&Ber students ever shagged their professor for a grade?

Also, a strange poll about this.

Maybe people skim-read the question and agreed that they should be on some kind of register.

Edit: I'm sure @scottsdad has some tales of creepy auld weirdoes trying to get their hole off impressionable youngsters (not personal experience, obvs).

Edited by BFTD

20 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Maybe people skim-read the question and agreed that they should be on some kind of register.

Edit: I'm sure @scottsdad has some tales of creepy auld weirdoes trying to get their hole off impressionable youngsters (not personal experience, obvs).

In one case, when I was a student, we went on the piss with our lecturers the night after our last exam. One lecturer ended up copping off with a student and took her home. 

Another of my lecturers was always in his office with the door shut, and 2 or 3 female students in with him. The 90s were a bit looser in comparison to now. But even so, the professor shagging a student trope has always been more in TV than in real life. It was even in Friends. 

Since moving to the other side, I can honestly say I don't know anyone who has done this or tried this. 

5 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

In one case, when I was a student, we went on the piss with our lecturers the night after our last exam. One lecturer ended up copping off with a student and took her home. 

Another of my lecturers was always in his office with the door shut, and 2 or 3 female students in with him. The 90s were a bit looser in comparison to now. But even so, the professor shagging a student trope has always been more in TV than in real life. It was even in Friends. 

Since moving to the other side, I can honestly say I don't know anyone who has done this or tried this. 

Oh God. He's one of them!  :o

On 01/03/2023 at 22:55, EvilScotsman said:

Imagine picking an example which has "found" and "findings" in the space of three words.

I don't think any of his ideas are getting past Turnitin, either.

Recommending thesaurus use in that way is also terrible advice.

That exchange in 'Friends' about it years ago, was not far off the mark.

9 hours ago, mathematics said:

Three of my lecturers married students.

Jeezo! 

Unrelated to students, three of my lecturers were in a wife swapping club. It all went wrong when one wife left her husband for another lecturer. She worked as a technician at the uni, all in the same department. Must have been awkward.

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Jeezo! 

Unrelated to students, three of my lecturers were in a wife swapping club. It all went wrong when one wife left her husband for another lecturer. She worked as a technician at the uni, all in the same department. Must have been awkward.

I remember you mentioning that before - sometimes I get the impression that academia must be so dull that lecturers would start a genital mutilation club just to break the ennui  :P

12 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Think I’ve posted this before but one of my lecturers from Heriot Watt was in the news for abusing his phd students at Strathclyde and then HW. I think the story was Strathclyde knew about it and gave him a glowing reference to get him out the door

Which will easily carry on and then carry on some more around the country.  Some parallels here with that film The Good Nurse, minus the murdering via secret injections part.

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Which will easily carry on and then carry on some more around the country.  Some parallels here with that film The Good Nurse, minus the murdering via secret injections part.

I think this guy ended up with a criminal record, so maybe not carrying on any more.

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

It seems like everyone has a story about some useless/outright criminal fud rocking up at their work, with the obligatory phone call to the former employer ending with, "ha, they're your problem now, sucker!"

I don't disbelieve them at all. People lie like f**k about work, and some employers can be pretty lazy about background checks.