Who's Going To Uni?

21 hours ago, coprolite said:

The whole justification for tuition fees was that markets know best and if people pay then they’ll invest wisely. 

They wouldn’t just make shit up to suit an agenda would they?

Sunak is either a rampant communist or being blown about like an ideological windsock.

8 hours ago, olliethedug said:

We got our final assessment results last Monday. However, not everyone got them and we’ve been told that they’re not confirmed as they haven’t been moderated yet. As third years we’ve been told that as long as things are sorted for the board in august then our graduation/getting our pin shouldn’t be delayed. 

Wonder if this is to do with the MAB. 

• 3 weeks later...

Exam results day today for those doing Higher, Advanced Highers.

My boy just opened his text, at least you done need to wait on the flipping postie like in my day !

Good luck to everyone (or their kids) who needs anything specific to get into uni. 🤞

35 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Exam results day today for those doing Higher, Advanced Highers.

My boy just opened his text, at least you done need to wait on the flipping postie like in my day !

Good luck to everyone (or their kids) who needs anything specific to get into uni. 🤞

Scott has refused to go down the text route. The postie for him, at about 1pm ish.

It's a bit of a dead rubber for him as he's already been accepted onto his course, but I still hope he does well.

My local delivery office is having "issues", although not with our area. They offered to let kids queue and get them before they're sent out at 9am. Both of mine have declined this offer. My son refuses to do the text thing and my daughter was absent when they were signing up for this (and never bothered to chase it up).

Sat at my PC just now waiting for my SQA coordinator to email our own school's results...

On 09/08/2023 at 23:05, Derry Pele said:

Can someone from UWS pay this ransom so their staff can get around to sending our results out? Surely people on resits and ECs have enough to stress about without their marks being three and a half weeks late

Been waiting to do online enrollment for the PGDE, still no happened yet and start tomorrow. So I assume there's still issues with it then?

It's that time again...disciplinaries!

One guy made so many mistakes when having an essay mill write his dissertation for him, it was unreal. For instance, writing a draft results chapter and sending it to his supervisor...a week before gathering any data. Leaving the name of the essay mill in the file, and on the file metadata. Producing three whole chapters in a single afternoon. 

In hearings all week, on and off. 

47 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

One guy made so many mistakes when having an essay mill write his dissertation for him, it was unreal. For instance, writing a draft results chapter and sending it to his supervisor...a week before gathering any data. Leaving the name of the essay mill in the file, and on the file metadata. Producing three whole chapters in a single afternoon. 

I trust you've got your black cap at the ready ?

On 17/07/2023 at 11:14, Monkey Tennis said:

It doesn't tie in with my own observations of uni aplicants at all.

I don't see how your OnlyFans activity helps here at all. Lolz.

I've had a shiter of a year and was struggling to take everything in, so I'm repeating rather than try to struggle manfully on - I was given the option of finishing everything off over the summer, but I'd rather go over it all again and understand what I'm doing instead of cobbling together some shite for a passing grade. Just as well anyway, as I've been working non-stop and haven't had time for anything I'd planned during the break. I've passed a few classes anyway, so should be a bit less stress. If it doesn't sink it this time then I'm off to farm yaks in Borneo or something.

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

😂

Genuinely, I do not understand the rationale behind using "essay mills" and other examples of academically dishonesty. Why go to uni in the first place if you're going to throw it away by cheating?

On 13/08/2023 at 09:26, RJShire said:

Been waiting to do online enrollment for the PGDE, still no happened yet and start tomorrow. So I assume there's still issues with it then?

It’s been that long since I was last able to access the enrolment/results portal that I can’t remember what it’s called, but it’s definitely still not available and I haven’t seen any update on graduation/enrolment in the regular updates they’ve been emailing to our studentmail inboxes. 

2 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

😂

I do not understand the rationale behind using "essay mills" and other examples of academically dishonesty. Why go to uni in the first place if you're going to throw it away by cheating?

I’d be intrigued to know if the folk that copy and paste from AI chatbots get flagged for plagiarism; surely what gets spat out has come from somewhere and is based on existing literature. I’ll admit I have in the past asked ChatGPT to suggest something to reference but it’s blatant cheating to ask it to answer questions and fully discuss entire theories. 

18 minutes ago, Derry Pele said:

I’d be intrigued to know if the folk that copy and paste from AI chatbots get flagged for plagiarism; surely what gets spat out has come from somewhere and is based on existing literature. I’ll admit I have in the past asked ChatGPT to suggest something to reference but it’s blatant cheating to ask it to answer questions and fully discuss entire theories. 

Yeah they can tell. There's software that detects it.

10 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Yeah they can tell. There's software that detects it.

Unfortunately it also appears to detect a lot of original content. The internet's full of examples of documents such as the American Constitution being flagged as AI generated.

I also find it bizarre how many people would be happy to learn nothing but leave with a diploma, but it's always been true. You only have to look at the fraudsters who bought doctorates from fake universities and rocked up to job somehow expecting to pass muster, and in some cases manage to get away with it for a worrying amount of time. I guess a lot of these folk don't think beyond the near future, as it's hardly a long-term strategy.

13 hours ago, Derry Pele said:

It’s been that long since I was last able to access the enrolment/results portal that I can’t remember what it’s called, but it’s definitely still not available and I haven’t seen any update on graduation/enrolment in the regular updates they’ve been emailing to our studentmail inboxes. 

They get flagged for various reasons:

1. The article not making sense.

2. Fake references.

3. References which do not match the subject matter.

4. Well written, when the student normally submits crayon-written nonsense.

It’s blatant cheating to ask GPT for a reference too.

Word of advice for students: avoiding your institution’s malpractice panel isn’t just rewording your essay enough times to get your turnititin score down. A human will mark it, normally an intelligent human, and many of these intelligent humans spot cheating a mile away. Just do the work.

7 minutes ago, mathematics said:

It’s blatant cheating to ask GPT for a reference too.

That depends on exactly what you're asking, and what you do with the response.

Google Scholar (and such like) is great if you know exactly what you're looking for. But it's hopeless if you can describe the "thing" you're trying to find, but don't know the exact name (or if it even has an exact name). Giving that description to ChatGPT and it providing the name and appropriate references is basically what research is - provided you then go off and read and understand those references before using them. 

Edited by The Master