Who's Going To Uni?

5 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Contract cheating. You pay someone to write your dissertation for you and hope that nobody notices. If you google "dissertation writing service" you'll see loads, and they all say roughly the same thing. They offer a quality product, written by professors or graduates in their weekends off, they offer a plagiarism check and so on. 

OK.  I can understand what your university did, but surely a side effect will be to prop up such ‘services’.

”This is what happens guys when you don’t pay us, we get in touch with the establishment we were helping you fleece and they do this to you”.

Not suggesting your actions were wrong just pointing up unintended consequences.

13 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Genuinely can't wait for when the Prof reports Scott for using an essay mill.

Absolute scenes

Scott knows he would get a fucking doing. 

He has heard some disciplinary hearings, when we are both at home and I'm doing one on Teams. 

Is there concern in the Academic community that AI will get to the stage where it is impossible to tell the difference between something that is genuine and something that has been plagiarised? Then were do we go from there? I guess we are a bit away from it at the moment but the way these things progress?

45 minutes ago, EH75 said:

Is there concern in the Academic community that AI will get to the stage where it is impossible to tell the difference between something that is genuine and something that has been plagiarised? Then were do we go from there? I guess we are a bit away from it at the moment but the way these things progress?

Yes - I think when we saw some of the stuff being produced last year it gave us all a scare. It's still ropey at the moment but in 5 years?

15 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

OK.  I can understand what your university did, but surely a side effect will be to prop up such ‘services’.

”This is what happens guys when you don’t pay us, we get in touch with the establishment we were helping you fleece and they do this to you”.

Not suggesting your actions were wrong just pointing up unintended consequences.

Money isn’t good enough. 

Edited to add; much easier to do some tutoring on the side. £50 an hour cash in hand.

Edited by mathematics

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DannyBlue

I started my Post Grad last week and because I studied with the OU before I'm not used to attending lectures in person. Is it common that the students who have the most to say in class are typically the ones who are most clueless? There's one guy in particular who is under the false impression that his anecdotes bring a lot of extra value, and really it would be wrong for him to keep them to himself. It's so incredibly annoying and more annoying that tutors keep indulging him especially as the group activities keep ending up getting curtailed because we've run out of time.

22 minutes ago, DannyBlue said:

I started my Post Grad last week and because I studied with the OU before I'm not used to attending lectures in person. Is it common that the students who have the most to say in class are typically the ones who are most clueless? There's one guy in particular who is under the false impression that his anecdotes bring a lot of extra value, and really it would be wrong for him to keep them to himself. It's so incredibly annoying and more annoying that tutors keep indulging him especially as the group activities keep ending up getting curtailed because we've run out of time.

Often, yes. 

On 08/09/2023 at 07:57, scottsdad said:

Scott knows he would get a fucking doing. 

He has heard some disciplinary hearings, when we are both at home and I'm doing one on Teams. 

I'm sure that doesn't breach any confidentiality rules and won't amount to Gross Misconduct.

On 08/09/2023 at 09:05, EH75 said:

They're running workshops on the use of AI at my college. I think they're trying to get a handle on how many students are using it and what they're using it for. They didn't admit it until the year was almost over, but some of my classmates were using it for everything.

One of our older instructors doesn't quite seem to get it; they overheard someone mentioning that they'd used ChatGPT on an assignment, so during a discussion on online learning tools they mentioned that my classmate had found a tool very useful...what was it called, Chat DVD?...and that we might want to try it ourselves. Not sure that getting AI to do assignments for us was quite what they had in mind!

There has been an independent review of Scottish assessments and qualifications recently, with 20-odd recommendations.

One such recommendation reads something like “pupils should be encouraged to use AI to complete bureaucratic tasks”.

I wonder if writing an independent review of Scottish assessments and qualifications is considered a bureaucratic task.

18 hours ago, DannyBlue said:

In my experience, quite often but it's not just in uni. It does go for the rest of your working life as well. 

Been  a great start to my 2nd year. 1 lecture on Monday and the other 2 have been cancelled due to strikes. (Which I support but it's still a bit frustrating)

• 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Starting my first clinical placement of 3rd year today, which is also my penultimate placement before I will be let loose.

Scary stuff.

That's flown past! Good luck!