Who's Going To Uni?

In the prospectus it says that the MA and BSc are both four years and the MSci is five years. The only difference I can see between the MA and the BSc in the prospectus is that the MA doesn't seem to ask for Higher Maths. If the courses are pretty much the same though then I'll probably just apply for the BSc.

I've no idea what MA is then. For the Maths and Stats courses you are applying to get into the school, I know that much.

In the prospectus it says that the MA and BSc are both four years and the MSci is five years. The only difference I can see between the MA and the BSc in the prospectus is that the MA doesn't seem to ask for Higher Maths. If the courses are pretty much the same though then I'll probably just apply for the BSc.

The MA you graduate from the College of Arts whereas with a BSc you graduate in the College of Science and Engineering, that the only difference I can see. Although, I had no idea what the MA was as you could probably tell earlier. Craigkillie will probably know more you should try him on here.

I would recommend applying for the BSc - you could change to the MSci no problem at any point up until 2nd year (or possibly even 3rd year). I have never heard of the MA course and don't know of anyone who did it, so I'd be slightly reluctant to go ahead with that.

Do you happen to do Higher/Advanced Higher statistics at school? I know that one of the schools in Ayr teaches it, and that would prove to be very helpful for the 1st year of stats. If you don't study it though - don't worry, because most people are in the same boat. I didn't do any stats at school but 1st year was still fine.

I would recommend applying for the BSc - you could change to the MSci no problem at any point up until 2nd year (or possibly even 3rd year). I have never heard of the MA course and don't know of anyone who did it, so I'd be slightly reluctant to go ahead with that.

Do you happen to do Higher/Advanced Higher statistics at school? I know that one of the schools in Ayr teaches it, and that would prove to be very helpful for the 1st year of stats. If you don't study it though - don't worry, because most people are in the same boat. I didn't do any stats at school but 1st year was still fine.

I did wonder why they'd offer a Science course as an MA. They never mentioned it at the Open Day either so I'll just go ahead with applying for the BSc.

I had been hoping to do Statistics at Advanced Higher but as far as I'm aware Belmont was the only nearby school that taught it and I think they stopped offering it in the past year or so. Everyone I've spoken to about it says I should pick it up ok as long as I'm pretty good at Maths so I'm hoping I'll be alright.

How did people find being in Accommodation at Hertio Watt btw? It seems extremely cheap, but then again it looks like it's absolutely miles away from the centre of Edinbrugh(I don't know Edinburgh well at all).

They're a bit shit tbh, but I've yet to find a nice halls of all the ones I've visited. Standard halls.

It's outside the bypass, maybe 30 minutes from town. It's quality getting up at 9 for a 9.15 lecture though.

How did people find being in Accommodation at Hertio Watt btw? It seems extremely cheap, but then again it looks like it's absolutely miles away from the centre of Edinbrugh(I don't know Edinburgh well at all).

Halls are just a place to rest your head at night after being at lectures, doing a bit of study in the library and going to the pub.

Anyone who chooses their university based on the standard of first year halls needs a good talking to imo. An en-suite jacuzzi-bath would possibly make me think differently though.

Managed to get the main textbooks for the two courses I have this semester from the library. Only four of each are available for loan, the other four are "reserve" books which can only be used for three hours at a time. Let the weekly renewing preventing anyone else on the course from having a chance to learn commence.

tumblr_ls4n0ovJpE1qaid3h.gif

I lived on campus there in my fresher's year back in 03/04 - it's fine. There is a pretty good bus service into town at all hours so you don't really miss out on the Edinburgh night life, although you'll maybe have quite a narrow experience of Edinburgh until you hit second year and end up living in town. The union was not too bad and in some respects being stuck all out there means you end up knowing a lot more people than you otherwise might, at least for a while.

Overall it was a pretty good experience.

Edited by renton

Managed to get the main textbooks for the two courses I have this semester from the library. Only four of each are available for loan, the other four are "reserve" books which can only be used for three hours at a time. Let the weekly renewing preventing anyone else on the course from having a chance to learn commence.

As my wise uncle once told me: although all the wanna-be clever ones and sooks like to sit down the front of the lecture theatre closest to the lecturer, he in the back row is first out with the first pick at the library.

Anyone who chooses their university based on the standard of first year halls needs a good talking to imo. An en-suite jacuzzi-bath would possibly make me think differently though.

Whoa there, the standard doesn't bother me at all, could be a mat on the floor and that would do me as a bed, I was just thinking for location, having a job in the centre of Edinburgh might have meant me paying a fortune in taxi's/trains.

But if there is a good bus service then the location shouldn't be a problem, thanks for the answerssmile.gif

tumblr_ls4n0ovJpE1qaid3h.gif

There's one 6 week loan book available (the rest are 1 day loan or a few hour long loan books IIRC) for my only HRM class this semester. Guess who got the book, mere hours after the class page opened?

Me.

1342954538232.jpg

My smugness is shortlived though. My whole flat share thing fell through leaving me a few days to find a place to stay (with all my back-up people having already sorted their flats and flatmates).

I ended up back in Unite (value for money = none at all).

2 of my flatmates are foreign and don't leave their rooms - apparently.

The other three are first years who should probably end up on Grimebusters (I walked in to a kitchen with used bin bags, dirty dishes and half eaten food everywhere).

I like keeping things clean :bairn

Thankfully ground rules have been set. I don't expect them to last though.

Edited by yoda