Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

If someone used a word you consider to be a slur you wouldn't challenge it?

But you're not even sure why you think it's a slur! If I was in a meeting and someone used a definitive racial or xenophobic term, then obviously, but tinker? Think you're being a bit hysterical here tbh.

So you've spent your life being offended by a word because you thought you should be but you weren't really sure why? Mental.

I was under the impression it was an offensive slur for travelling people. After googling it I've found out I was correct and was right to find it offensive. Not mental, the only reason I doubted myself was because the people in the room didn't think it was an offensive term for whatever reason so I thought it better to check to rush to judgement. After checking, my instincts were correct and I stand by my decision to challenge it.

10 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

I was under the impression it was an offensive slur for travelling people. After googling it I've found out I was correct and was right to find it offensive. Not mental, the only reason I doubted myself was because the people in the room didn't think it was an offensive term for whatever reason so I thought it better to check to rush to judgement. After checking, my instincts were correct and I stand by my decision to challenge it.

Being offended is entirely subjective. You've come on here asking if it is offensive and had to google if it is a word you should be offended by. 

Pulling people up for using a word that you vaguely remember as being a word that might make you feel uncomfortable for some reason is tinky behaviour.

Lighten up, m8.

Being offended is entirely subjective. You've come on here asking if it is offensive and had to google if it is a word you should be offended by. 

Pulling people up for using a word that you vaguely remember as being a word that might make you feel uncomfortable for some reason is tinky behaviour.

I disagree, if a word is used as a slur against a minority group it's entirely reasonable to challenge the usage of that word. The only reason I had to google it was because I found myself in a position where others didn't think it was offensive so I felt it necessary to ensure I wasn't mistaken, and I wasn't. Travelling people find the word offensive, therefore as far as I'm concerned it shouldn't be used and should be challenged when people use it. I would do the same if people used sexist, homophobic, racist, sectarian etc terminology so I don't see why I should make an exception for this word.

1 minute ago, jmothecat said:

I disagree, if a word is used as a slur against a minority group it's entirely reasonable to challenge the usage of that word. The only reason I had to google it was because I found myself in a position where others didn't think it was offensive so I felt it necessary to ensure I wasn't mistaken, and I wasn't. Travelling people find the word offensive, therefore as far as I'm concerned it shouldn't be used and should be challenged when people use it. I would do the same if people used sexist, homophobic, racist, sectarian etc terminology so I don't see why I should make an exception for this word.

You go, girl.

I'm starting to feel bad about Doyle and the tattoo saga, he's deleted his post and not sure how long it will be till he posts again.
Just to be clear, I like the sentiment and completely understand his desire to get a permanent reminder of a momentous occasion for the Hibees. I just think he didn't think it through properly.

But ffs!

2 hours ago, Mortar Bored said:

I'm starting to feel bad about Doyle and the tattoo saga, he's deleted his post and not sure how long it will be till he posts again.
Just to be clear, I like the sentiment and completely understand his desire to get a permanent reminder of a momentous occasion for the Hibees. I just think he didn't think it through properly.

But ffs!

He was PMing me about it last week. I told him to at least look into different fonts rather than just block capitals!

3 minutes ago, Mortar Bored said:

Are you a Jambo?

Yes. Why?

1 minute ago, Sweet Pete said:

You should've told him to get it done in comic sans.

it was on the link I sent him.......