Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

27 minutes ago, TxRover said:

It is unfortunate that in this situation, some people act as if the person with the cancer is contagious. His wife and he will have quite possibly found a number of previous visitors now have other things to do. If you can, as others have suggested, a wee visit, especially with a meal, and some remembrances from work, would probably go over a treat. If he’s as popular at work as you suggest, a slow and steady trickle of people with simple to store and prepare meals would be a good idea to take the sudden weight of his wife and ease things.

One of my bosses is away to house as hes needing rushed to the hospital, we literally just got called to say, so we might not get the chance to see him.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

Youngest stepdaughter's scumbag ex partner has managed to get his maintenance payments cut by £40.00/month. 

I love this country sometimes 😒

26 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

My step-daughter's dad once argued with us over his maintenance payments. He was paying the princely sum of £5 per week. We even told him he was paying for her school dinners, so he could see that he was at least feeding his daughter. 

He went to the CSA to appeal to get it cut. The appeal was rejected but whilst they were considering it he stopped payments. 

11 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I love this country sometimes 😒

I’ve never knowingly met anyone like this. Thank f**k. 

Roundly irritated with my step-daughter. She has 3 kids under the age of 5 - her choice, fair enough. At Easter her social media was full of her showing off all the presents she bought for her boys. Honestly it looked like Christmas morning.

Add to that she is asking everyone to chip in for some sort of playhouse for the garden (cost: £600). Add to that, she is paying for 2 birthday parties at the end of the month - combined total cost of these (rental of soft play, catering, visit by a clown/superhero etc) is over £700.

And she's harassing my wife and I for cash because she is skint. £30 last week, and again this week. The only time she gets in touch just now is to ask for cash.

12 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Roundly irritated with my step-daughter. She has 3 kids under the age of 5 - her choice, fair enough. At Easter her social media was full of her showing off all the presents she bought for her boys. Honestly it looked like Christmas morning.

Add to that she is asking everyone to chip in for some sort of playhouse for the garden (cost: £600). Add to that, she is paying for 2 birthday parties at the end of the month - combined total cost of these (rental of soft play, catering, visit by a clown/superhero etc) is over £700.

And she's harassing my wife and I for cash because she is skint. £30 last week, and again this week. The only time she gets in touch just now is to ask for cash.

Unfortunately this scenario is all too common. 
I think the problem is exacerbated by social media as people feel compelled to give their kids “everything” to get likes.
The brain receives a dopamine hit with every like. And so it continues. 

One way perhaps you can help is to put a stop on the cash flow to support that “lifestyle” but I expect your wife will likely support her daughter and grandchildren. 

The problem is that “YOLO” attitude has consequences with credit card debt if allowed to carry on. 

10 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Unfortunately this scenario is all too common. 
I think the problem is exacerbated by social media as people feel compelled to give their kids “everything” to get likes.
The brain receives a dopamine hit with every like. And so it continues. 

One way perhaps you can help is to put a stop on the cash flow to support that “lifestyle” but I expect your wife will likely support her daughter and grandchildren. 

The problem is that “YOLO” attitude has consequences with credit card debt if allowed to carry on. 

You're right except in one respect - I'm the soft touch. The wife said no this time; we have a whole bunch of birthdays this month and will be skint ourselves. Had she asked me first i would have just given the money over, grumbling away about it.

It is very much the social media thing, and competing with other mums the same age.

4 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

You're right except in one respect - I'm the soft touch. The wife said no this time; we have a whole bunch of birthdays this month and will be skint ourselves. Had she asked me first i would have just given the money over, grumbling away about it.

It is very much the social media thing, and competing with other mums the same age.

Who are just as likely living outwith their means too, just perpetuating the cycle. 

10 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Always thought that you were a big softie Scottsdad!

Any chance of a sub?

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Youngest stepdaughter's scumbag ex partner has managed to get his maintenance payments cut by £40.00/month. 

And now her rent has been increased...

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I think Easter and Halloween have become much bigger things since social media. 

I didn't even buy mine an egg as we were away Easter weekend 🙈

£700 on birthday parties is fucking nuts. But again it's social media and keeping up with others. However in her defence places like softplay have really started ripping the piss out of the prices.

9 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Presents? At Easter? Jesus wept.

Frustrated Clint Eastwood GIF

3 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

I once saw a “Happy Easter from The Dog” card.

(no it wasn’t from the wife before you ask)

Sure it wasn't Happy Easter from The God

That would make a bit more sense. 

Anyone buying anything other than Easter eggs and hot cross buns at Easter is OFTW

15 hours ago, RH33 said:

I think Easter and Halloween have become much bigger things since social media. 

I didn't even buy mine an egg as we were away Easter weekend 🙈

£700 on birthday parties is fucking nuts. But again it's social media and keeping up with others. However in her defence places like softplay have really started ripping the piss out of the prices.

The Social Media stuff/need to be noticed is off the chart and only going to get worse.

Niece recently attended a TikTok themed 6th birthday party, where some young lassie comes along and is paid to teach the kids the latest dances etc that are popular on there just now. Stuff then no doubt uploaded to the platform by parents desperate for likes and attention, practically brainwashing their kids who have barely started school into the same needy shite as well. Fucking depressing tbh.

Edited by 'WellDel