Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

1 hour ago, throbber said:

I don’t get how someone somewhere can decide that a universal symbol for ok can represent something else and for it to stick like this. Why don’t we just decide that a thumbs up now means you are a paedophile?

👎

The ones making the symbol know exactly what they're doing. They haven't made the symbol innocently thinking it means something else. They've made it knowing exactly the intent.

4 hours ago, throbber said:

I don’t get how someone somewhere can decide that a universal symbol for ok can represent something else and for it to stick like this. Why don’t we just decide that a thumbs up now means you are a paedophile?

95% of the planet thinks thumbs up means GIRUY rather than a cheery acclamation.

13 minutes ago, throbber said:

This maybe is the case for the individuals in question but when the internet decides in 2020 something that one of the most universal hand signals in the world now represents something racist that can cause great offence then you have a serious communication problem.

This reminds me of the time Wayne Hennesay got accused of making a nazi salute when he actually pointed towards the person taking the picture to hurry them up and covered his mouth so the sound would carry.

Came from a 4chan trolling campaign in 2017…which the moron end (contradictory, but…) of the white nationalist/white power movement took as gospel and began using as such.

On 21/07/2023 at 09:51, RH33 said:

Apparently I "won the day" yesterday. On a thread about Goodwillie I had most liked post. That's a juxtaposition and a half.

I'll need to go back and review your greenie total on that post. When I initially saw it, I was going to upvote, but I thought it would be inappropriate for it to be on 69 greenies given the context!

55 minutes ago, throbber said:

This maybe is the case for the individuals in question but when the internet decides in 2020 something that one of the most universal hand signals in the world now represents something racist that can cause great offence then you have a serious communication problem.

This reminds me of the time Wayne Hennesay got accused of making a nazi salute when he actually pointed towards the person taking the picture to hurry them up and covered his mouth so the sound would carry.

Must be an absolute bugger going Scuba Diving nowadays.

1 hour ago, throbber said:

That’s the explanation behind it anyway. Surely if it becomes a hate crime to use it then you are signing that hand gesture over to white supremacists? 

IMG_6624.jpeg

1 hour ago, Moomintroll said:

Must be an absolute bugger going Scuba Diving nowadays.

Agreed. I know nothing of the argument at play here but surely Throbber’s version has the fingers splayed to give the ‘W’, while the hand signal for OK just has them as kinda redundant in the background? I dunno..

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

Agreed. I know nothing of the argument at play here but surely Throbber’s version has the fingers splayed to give the ‘W’, while the hand signal for OK just has them as kinda redundant in the background? I dunno..

Agree with this…the fingers in the “suspect” gesture have little resemblance to how your fingers fall just giving an OK wave. The palm rotates flat in the WP symbol.

19 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Once again, the folk who made those symbols knew exactly what they were doing and knew exactly the meaning they intended to convey.

Aye, to pervert the meaning of an innocent human gesture, the Ok symbol existed for a long time before 4chan twisted it. The world should pay far less attention to these American basement dwelling teenagers.

Edited by welshbairn