Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

On 14/01/2024 at 02:24, throbber said:

On 14/01/2024 at 05:39, Derry Alli said:

That seems an incredibly high priced valuation. 

On 14/01/2024 at 06:58, MazzyStar said:

You’ll make that back in a couple of months. 

On 14/01/2024 at 08:30, throbber said:

I don’t think there’s much money in pubs - also if it was that profitable a business the family wouldn’t be selling after 40 years 

How many active users are there on P&B these days? We could all chip in a few quid and make it our official clubhouse. Handy for all central belt games, especially those in Glasgow and the surrounding environs. Given the number of alcoholics on the site, we'll never be short of customers and there are enough teetotalers here to set up a Designated Driver rota. Get in a decent pie vendor, negotiate a deal with Tennents and install a kettle for the Bovril and we'll be raking it in.

@Shandon Par could decorate the place, @throbber to do a tasteful mural and give @RH33 a stool near the door to entice the passing trade.

I think we could be onto something here.

6 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

How many active users are there on P&B these days? We could all chip in a few quid and make it our official clubhouse. Handy for all central belt games, especially those in Glasgow and the surrounding environs. Given the number of alcoholics on the site, we'll never be short of customers and there are enough teetotalers here to set up a Designated Driver rota. Get in a decent pie vendor, negotiate a deal with Tennents and install a kettle for the Bovril and we'll be raking it in.

@Shandon Par could decorate the place, @throbber to do a tasteful mural and give @RH33 a stool near the door to entice the passing trade.

I think we could be onto something here.

Already under offer. The closing date was in November. 

4 minutes ago, throbber said:

And here was me thinking this was a legitimate business proposition that was about to get going.

You just wanted to draw a big nob on the wall.

15 minutes ago, throbber said:

And here was me thinking this was a legitimate business proposition that was about to get going.

Didn’t want you getting your hopes up. 

48 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

I have a long, vicious, vertical scar on my face from a knife fight in a waterfront bar in Marseille just after the war. I'd been running guns through Algiers and...

Ach, I slipped on the ice and the dug leapt in for the kill, catching me under the eye with a toenail. Once I'd washed my physog you could hardly notice it and it's almost completely invisible this morning.

Made me look dead fierce for a couple of hours though.

Aye, spread out about 50 tables for one in booths, so there needn't be any engagement.

I used to think I was fairly bright but have come to the conclusion that I’m probably not that smart/intelligent at all.

A couple of years ago I tried to do an online course through the Open University and just struggled to take things in. I found myself having to read things over and over again and it just wasn’t going in, and I was struggling with various maths components. Admittedly my mental health was in a real state, but I had to stop after the first semester as I just couldn’t do it. Was quite the blow and made me feel worse. I see plenty of folk with a degree and think to myself that surely I can do it, but I just can’t. I’m shit at studying and shit at taking a lot of details in.

I attended Aberdeen University for five years and only got to third year, repeating first year and third year. I’d struggle to take stuff in during lectures and would often actually fall asleep. I’d just get really drowsy at times. I was/am atrocious at studying. Been that way since high school. Think I could have got better grades in my highers if I was able to study better, but all I was able to do was just try and read things over and over again. Lectures at university caused me trouble because I tried to take notes whilst listening but ended up not doing either effectively. There were mental health issues here too mind, so that could have played a part. In group sessions and practical classes I found things much better, as physically doing stuff and talking about it with others made things much easier, but then I’d often forget things after, so unless I was doing things over and over I was not having much success (I recall in Int 2 maths in high school that when we’d do things equations I could breeze through them once I got the concept down and did a load of them, but came up against much simpler ones in the OU course and was lost). I probably could have used some help with study skills, but had no idea of the concept at the time.

I attended Abertay University for one year way back in the day. Admittedly this failure was much more of a mental health one (boring story), but even then I did struggle with trying to get information down. Lectures again proved troublesome.

All that for a student loan that I’ll be paying off for decades for zero return! Could fucking kick myself.

Anyway, just wanted to vent a bit. Really in a rut job wise as I simply have no qualifications and really worried I’m going to be stuck in jobs that pay a fairly average to low salary, which each year gets eaten in to by inflation. I want to get a qualification so that I can get a decent job (although that’s another issue as I don’t know what I want to do/study, just that I need to do something or I’ll be stuck forever with a ceiling I can’t break). It’s a frustrating situation! I’m in a much better place mentally now thankfully so would hope that that barrier would be removed, but the reality of not being cut out/not being smart enough is still a tough one to take. Plus I'm shit with money (zero savings) so would need to try and save up to pay for it (I'm hoping to be much better with money this year, although January has not seen the best start to that, but have been reviewing things and can see where I can make a lot of savings; just need to try and do it!).

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

I used to think I was fairly bright but have come to the conclusion that I’m probably not that smart/intelligent at all.

A couple of years ago I tried to do an online course through the Open University and just struggled to take things in. I found myself having to read things over and over again and it just wasn’t going in, and I was struggling with various maths components. Admittedly my mental health was in a real state, but I had to stop after the first semester as I just couldn’t do it. Was quite the blow and made me feel worse. I see plenty of folk with a degree and think to myself that surely I can do it, but I just can’t. I’m shit at studying and shit at taking a lot of details in.

I attended Aberdeen University for five years and only got to third year, repeating first year and third year. I’d struggle to take stuff in during lectures and would often actually fall asleep. I’d just get really drowsy at times. I was/am atrocious at studying. Been that way since high school. Think I could have got better grades in my highers if I was able to study better, but all I was able to do was just try and read things over and over again. Lectures at university caused me trouble because I tried to take notes whilst listening but ended up not doing either effectively. There were mental health issues here too mind, so that could have played a part. In group sessions and practical classes I found things much better, as physically doing stuff and talking about it with others made things much easier, but then I’d often forget things after, so unless I was doing things over and over I was not having much success (I recall in Int 2 maths in high school that when we’d do things equations I could breeze through them once I got the concept down and did a load of them, but came up against much simpler ones in the OU course and was lost). I probably could have used some help with study skills, but had no idea of the concept at the time.

I attended Abertay University for one year way back in the day. Admittedly this failure was much more of a mental health one (boring story), but even then I did struggle with trying to get information down. Lectures again proved troublesome.

All that for a student loan that I’ll be paying off for decades for zero return! Could fucking kick myself.

Anyway, just wanted to vent a bit. Really in a rut job wise as I simply have no qualifications and really worried I’m going to be stuck in jobs that pay a fairly average to low salary, which each year gets eaten in to by inflation. I want to get a qualification so that I can get a decent job (although that’s another issue as I don’t know what I want to do/study, just that I need to do something or I’ll be stuck forever with a ceiling I can’t break). It’s a frustrating situation! I’m in a much better place mentally now thankfully so would hope that that barrier would be removed, but the reality of not being cut out/not being smart enough is still a tough one to take. Plus I'm shit with money (zero savings) so would need to try and save up to pay for it (I'm hoping to be much better with money this year, although January has not seen the best start to that, but have been reviewing things and can see where I can make a lot of savings; just need to try and do it!).

If you really struggle with taking information in, have you investigated employment that is more vocational & allows you to re-train whilst working? This would alleviate two stumbling blocks in my view as you’d not need to build up savings to effectively take time away from the workforce & less stress of having to do classroom learning full time? Just a thought. 

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Wait until you see the next generation, they're as thick as shite. You'll seem like The Oracle compared to them

Going into hospital this afternoon for a skin graft on my leg, trying to fix ulcers that opened up following my radiotherapy last year. Op is tomorrow but I'm being admitted today as they wanted me in for 7:30. Told them I couldn't make it from Edinburgh to Livingston that early so they found me a bed for tonight. Probably be kept in tomorrow night as well and home for Friday if all goes well.

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

You should look at adult apprenticeships in your area with learning on the job, I know a few guys that have went that way and loved it.

12 minutes ago, Empty It said:

You should look at adult apprenticeships in your area with learning on the job, I know a few guys that have went that way and loved it.

Is this a thing? Superb if it is. Always wanted to change my vocation but always thought I was too old.

36 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Is this a thing? Superb if it is. Always wanted to change my vocation but always thought I was too old.

Aye, guy I know is in his first year sparky apprenticeship and he's 29.

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I've recently started buying sausages from the butcher rather than the supermarket. If you fed them to me blind I wouldn't believe they were from the same planet never mind animal.

^^^ Considerably richer than YOU