Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-24916278

Much as I feel sorry for them, they come across as a right pair of attention whoring twats wanting to get their 15 minutes of fame on the back of it.

Aye, the guy has a bit of a smug Greg Wallace-esque look about him as well.

I don't even need to click on that to know it's about the spider which inspired Bannockburn, all in the year of the referendum, right?

Eta: the woman in Crocodile Dundee looks incredibly like Kirsty Young.

Edited by Hedgecutter

I don't even need to click on that to know it's about the spider which inspired Bannockburn, all in the year of the referendum, right? Eta: the woman in Crocodile Dundee looks incredibly like Kirsty Young.

Is there any evidence that the cave/spider thing ever happened?

I always assumed that this was another invention by Walter Scott.

Is there any evidence that the cave/spider thing ever happened?

I always assumed that this was another invention by Walter Scott.

Absolutely nothing of the spider. The 'cave' yes. Although it's commonly thought to be the Kings Caves on Arran (guess why they're called that), he was supposedly hidden in a man made secret vault beneath the house of a family friend (William Irving) near Kirkpatrick Fleming which he built to hide valuables in (living so close to the English border). This place actually exists btw, I've been in it which is just a circular room carved into the wall of a secluded river gorge and you can see where the bolts of a (now gone) camouflage stone door would have been.

Being from that part of Dumfriesshire anyway, Bruce is supposed to have stayed in there all winter where Irving provided him with supplies. Absolutely f*** all else to do but look at what's happening through he air holes where a spider could have built a web. Good story from Sir Walter Scott probably, but the rest about hiding out there is incredibly likely rather than hiding away in a shitey sea cave on the cold, wet and windswept west coast of Arran where he would have been trapped on an island with no mates.

Edited by Hedgecutter