Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

1 minute ago, 101 said:

You just need to hope your team changes so often you're left like they guy who went to work 5 days a week pissed about and eventually retired but no one knew what he did and he had no work to do. 

My problem is my pension is tied to the state pension age so can't really plan on relying on my workplace pension but hopefully will be have been mortgage free for a while then and I can sell my ties.

Even back in 1979 ties were not compulsory, so I never built up a collection. Even when career progression advice at the time was that wearing one was a good start.

I started at the bottom and liked it so much I've stayed there.

Pension provision has changed a few times. I'll have one at 60, 65 and 67 before state pension at 67 as well. I'll retire in instalments. If we keep working from home no-one will spot the difference.

Unless they make me redundant (good) or I die (bad).

I am a civil servant too and reading @Sergeant Wilson’s posts I sometimes wonder if we work in the same department because every tired and cynical moan rings true with me. Anyway, I recently read about and applied for something called an EPA  and if I pay 50 quid extra a month for the next few years (I’m late 40’s) I can shave 2 years off my retirement age. Count me in.

I have my old final salary pension that I built up for about 10  years and then the new career average one. A big attraction for me when I joined was the stability and pension, and also quite frankly working as a public servant rather than for some rapacious c*nt was a big motivation for me.

8 minutes ago, Snobot said:

I am a civil servant too and reading @Sergeant Wilson’s posts I sometimes wonder if we work in the same department because every tired and cynical moan rings true with me. Anyway, I recently read about and applied for something called an EPA  and if I pay 50 quid extra a month for the next few years (I’m late 40’s) I can shave 2 years off my retirement age. Count me in.

I have my old final salary pension that I built up for about 10  years and then the new career average one. A big attraction for me when I joined was the stability and pension, and also quite frankly working as a public servant rather than for some rapacious c*nt was a big motivation for me.

I'll give you tired and cynical. I'm sunshine personified compared to some.

11 minutes ago, Snobot said:

I have my old final salary pension

Jammy b*****d.

24 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Even back in 1979 ties were not compulsory, so I never built up a collection. Even when career progression advice at the time was that wearing one was a good start.

I started at the bottom and liked it so much I've stayed there.

Pension provision has changed a few times. I'll have one at 60, 65 and 67 before state pension at 67 as well. I'll retire in instalments. If we keep working from home no-one will spot the difference.

Unless they make me redundant (good) or I die (bad).

Never too late to don a tie, although perhaps a bit much for working from home.

Good luck with retirement/ redundancy/ avoiding the reaper

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'll give you tired and cynical. I'm sunshine personified compared to some.

Pretty sure I’m still part of the young team at my work. Anyway, I assume you have witnessed wave upon wave of private sector ‘thrusters’ (as my boss would say) coming in over the years as part of some outsourcing programme, promising the earth but ultimately doing f**k all and legging it when they realise the CS is a complex beast best managed by the folk who actually get it.

Just now, Snobot said:

Pretty sure I’m still part of the young team at my work. Anyway, I assume you have witnessed wave upon wave of private sector ‘thrusters’ (as my boss would say) coming in over the years as part of some outsourcing programme, promising the earth but ultimately doing f**k all and legging it when they realise the CS is a complex beast best managed by the folk who actually get it.

In both stints, first for 20 years and about 13 in this one, I had another spell in an outsourced department for 3ish as well. Most things are cyclical in a way, huge recruitment exercises followed by downsizing, rinse and repeat. Managerial styles changing but delivery never quite implemented properly etc etc.

11 minutes ago, Snobot said:

We had a mad HR bitch who came in from private industry and thought the two full time Union officials were there to do her bidding instead of working in partnership.

She lasted about two years 

14 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Of course I was practically a "boy soldier" at 16 and a few months. I qualified for luncheon vouchers, 15p a day, so pieces were unnecessary. 

Aye, but did you spend them on food?

cynthia.jpg