Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

45 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I've got a few weeks of spare time and fancy a trip to Amsterdam, partly because there are handy direct flights from Aberdeen and I'm running out of interesting things to do.  Trouble is, most of my friends are at work when I'm off, my other half has already been to Amsterdam, and travelling there solo even for non-seedy purposes will undoubtedly be perceived as high-level OFTW behaviour.  What to do???

https://academy.uva.nl/en, juke them.

37 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Was half tempted to stick this in the Compo Faces thread

IMG_0660.jpeg

I found a packet of quavers in my loft that were 4 years out of date. 

Scott manned up and tried them. They were chewy, very tough. Almost indestructible. But he managed to finish the bag. 

Don't think I've ever had a prouder moment as a parent. 

How long until this gentleman is broke?

I can't say I have any experience of having a billion dollars, but I don't imagine I'd be immediately splashing out on 47 million dollar mansions in Bel Air. Seems a bit cliched and obviously destined to go wrong, a la the 'lotto lout' Michael Carroll.

6 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

I can't say I have any experience of having a billion dollars, but I don't imagine I'd be immediately splashing out on 47 million dollar mansions in Bel Air. Seems a bit cliched and obviously destined to go wrong, a la the 'lotto lout' Michael Carroll.

Aye he should be more careful with his money.

2 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

I suppose if it does all go pear shaped then he'll be able to sell the mansions for a wee bit. Even if he only gets $25 million, I reckon he'd be able to live on that.

2 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

Mental behaviour to buy 3 houses in 1 state

8 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

I suppose if it does all go pear shaped then he'll be able to sell the mansions for a wee bit. Even if he only gets $25 million, I reckon he'd be able to live on that.

Just now, 101 said:

Mental behaviour to buy 3 houses in 1 state

I suppose even the most moronic of people would struggle to burn through a billion.

Apparently Michael Carroll's £10 million lasted him 4 years. At that rate, even if this American chap leads a similar life of poor investment, carefree spending and criminal behaviour, it's enough to last many lifetimes.

Incidentally, from Mr Carroll's Wiki:

image.thumb.png.dd849f6c919158fbbe1e4f85d2353f5a.png

6 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

I've got a few weeks of spare time and fancy a trip to Amsterdam, partly because there are handy direct flights from Aberdeen and I'm running out of interesting things to do.  Trouble is, most of my friends are at work when I'm off, my other half has already been to Amsterdam, and travelling there solo even for non-seedy purposes will undoubtedly be perceived as high-level OFTW behaviour.  What to do???

Go to Utrecht instead, it's like Amsterdam without the tourists and much cheaper. Direct train from Schiphol. 

3 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

54 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

I suppose even the most moronic of people would struggle to burn through a billion.

Apparently Michael Carroll's £10 million lasted him 4 years. At that rate, even if this American chap leads a similar life of poor investment, carefree spending and criminal behaviour, it's enough to last many lifetimes.

Incidentally, from Mr Carroll's Wiki:

image.thumb.png.dd849f6c919158fbbe1e4f85d2353f5a.png

Let’s see…lump sum of $998 million…Uncle Sugar wants 37%, so that’s $629 million left…luckily California doesn’t tax the winnings, but if he’s punted $76 million already, you can be sure he’s already well below $550 million…the property taxes each year on those mansions would be around $540k+, and then another $3m-5m minimum to maintain the mansions.

The more interesting numbers are the average American lottery winner “saves” 16% of their win, and over 70% of lottery winners declare bankruptcy, usually in the 3-5 year term. While I doubt he’ll go bankrupt, his spending form right now is questionable.

31 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Let’s see…lump sum of $998 million…Uncle Sugar wants 37%, so that’s $629 million left…luckily California doesn’t tax the winnings, but if he’s punted $76 million already, you can be sure he’s already well below $550 million…the property taxes each year on those mansions would be around $540k+, and then another $3m-5m minimum to maintain the mansions.

The more interesting numbers are the average American lottery winner “saves” 16% of their win, and over 70% of lottery winners declare bankruptcy, usually in the 3-5 year term. While I doubt he’ll go bankrupt, his spending form right now is questionable.

Nbc No GIF by Law & Order

On 13/09/2023 at 20:43, CityDave94 said:

One of my favourite Primal Scream songs was the single 'Star' from the brilliant album 'Vanishing Point' (1997).

Bobby G. sang the recycled line as the chorus - ''Every brother is a star, every sister is a star''

Question for the knowledgable - Where or whom or what is the connection between this song and the Inverness area?

I'll be back in an hour, greens for anyone with the correct answer or answers (and no cheating).

The song mentions Malcolm x who used to stay in Merkinch?