Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

Doing more research on my family history, my great grandfathers family originally came from Greenock.

That's interesting... any more details? Whereabouts, what they did, etc...

Think im losing my marbles. I went to go out to tesco last night and when i got in the car i realised i'd left it in gear AND left the handbrake off. Thank god i wasnt parked on a hill. I also left the tumble dryer on when i went out, nearly burning the flat down in the process. Deary me.

That's interesting... any more details? Whereabouts, what they did, etc...

Apparently my great great grandfather arrived on the Derry Castle in Jan 1855.

Apparently when he arrived in Australia he was one of the most successful Reefers? not sure what that is. He also went in partnership with a guy named John Sands, they were involved in stationers & printers.

I see your location is in Australia. Mmmm, Convicts? wink.gif

No :lol:

Apparently my great great grandfather arrived on the Derry Castle in Jan 1855.

Apparently when he arrived in Australia he was one of the most successful Reefers? not sure what that is. He also went in partnership with a guy named John Sands, they were involved in stationers & printers.

These days a reefer is a refrigerated shipping container, but containerisation only took place in the 20th century. I don't think ships were refrigerated before that but they could have been?

To answer my own question -or to let Wikipedia do it - apparently reefer ships existed by the early 1800s in the USA. Perhaps it existed in Australia too, but where would they have got the ice from? Shipping ice from New York to Virginia is one thing... then again there's mention of shipping chilled meat from Australia to the UK by 1900 so that might be it? Maybe he got into that business early.

Or maybe reefer means something completely different in Australia :D

These days a reefer is a refrigerated shipping container, but containerisation only took place in the 20th century. I don't think ships were refrigerated before that but they could have been?

To answer my own question -or to let Wikipedia do it - apparently reefer ships existed by the early 1800s in the USA. Perhaps it existed in Australia too, but where would they have got the ice from? Shipping ice from New York to Virginia is one thing... then again there's mention of shipping chilled meat from Australia to the UK by 1900 so that might be it? Maybe he got into that business early.

Or maybe reefer means something completely different in Australia :D

Could well be, need to do a bit more investigating :)

This was the article written in a local newspaper when he died.

A profound feeling of regret was occasioned in the city this morning by a report, which unfortunately proved to be true, that Mr Dugald Macdougall, the town clerk of Sandhurst, and a gentleman who was held in very high esteem by his numerous friends, had died in a very sudden manner. It appears that the deceased gentleman, who for some years past had been suffering from heart disease, was at 5 o'clock this morning seized with a violent pain in his chest. The usual remedies were applied, but these having no effect, and Mr. Macdougall rapidly growing worse, Drs. Cruickshank and Landvoigt were sent for, but about 7 o'clock, before either of these gentlemen arrived, the patient died. He was 46 years of ago, and a native of Greenock, Scotland. Mr. Macdougall was one of the first and in earlier days most successful reefers of Bendigo. He arrived here in 1855, and was the first to erect powerful machinery on the Victoria Reef. His speculations for a period turned out very prosperously, but subsequently he had a long series of reverses in mining. In 1867 he was elected a member of the City Council, in which capacity he continued to act until 1876, when he resigned, and was appointed to the position of town clerk, which he occupied up to the time of his death. Tor the duties of this office he was peculiarly well fitted. He was also a member of the honorary Bench. The deceased gentleman was a brother of Mr Macdougall, of the firm of Sands and M'Dougall, of Melbourne. The funeral will take place on Sunday.

This notice was also published in the Tasmanian paper, The Mercury.