Procycling thread

myshkin

DQS get Cav to Paris & the final stage will be no contest. He's easily the best sprinter left. Just waltzed round Mellier & Philipsen.

Edited by kiddy

2 hours ago, Merkie84 said:

I feel this about him too.

I want a close exciting race (like last years incredible finish) but the boy is incredible and sometimes it is good just to witness sporting greatness in action. 

If he goes on to win this year, especially if by a wide margin, it begs the question how many tours he can potentially win? 

He is still competing for the white jersey!

Given the apparent lack of depth in his team. Other GC contenders only hope may be continual attacks in the mountains. He can't cover them all.

JV have WVA, Vingegaard & Roglic within 1.48. Ineos, Carapaz & Thomas, at 1.58. Astana, Lutsenko & Fuglsang, 2.16.

They really have to start thinking out the box, & not be dependant on the "Team Leader" being their main GC option. It would only play into UAE's hands.

That would be brilliant viewing if that is what happens. 

Other GC hopefuls have nothing to lose now so hopefully they all just line up to take turns attacking. 

Definitely more exciting than the years where team sky just controlled everything and snuffed out all the challanges from other teams. 

Brilliant stuff from Cavendish again! 

Edited by Merkie84
Extra sent a added.

Aye you've got to think that at least one of the teams will send one of their cards on the attack early leaving UAE in the situation where they don't know if they have to shut it down or whether it is a bluff. Jumbo Visma having three riders is a nightmare for them, it's lucky for UAE that Richie Porte lost time on the first day because he looked decent in the ITT and would have been an excellent option for Ineos.

The one rider I just dont get is Quintana - everyione knows he cant TT, yet he never seems to attack in the mountains to make the time back, except for one stage when he is usually out of contention anyway. 

The problem is going to be that teams wont take it in turns to attack (as I doubt a bit of behind the scenes strategy between teams is no allowed) is that once someone attacks, all the big guns that can will react not just Pogacar. I am intrigued to see how van der poel goes in the big mountains, as he look good in the summit finish a few days ago - not sure if he has the gas to do it all day though - although today may be a good indication

Cav means business today. He is in the breakaway with Asgreen from DQS.
Obviously looking for more points in the intermediate sprint.
It's great to see him so fit, buzzing and back to his best form.
Couldn't believe it when I heard he'd only ever won one Green Jersey. I guess the way the intermediate sprints have been placed during his era can't have helped? Equaling or even breaking Mercx while winning in Paris to secure the Green Jersey would be quite something. Even by his standards. Is it possible? I take there are at least another couple of sprint days after the Alps?

19 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
39 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:
Cav means business today. He is in the breakaway with Asgreen from DQS.
Obviously looking for more points in the intermediate sprint.
It's great to see him so fit, buzzing and back to his best form.

Couldn't believe it when I heard he'd only ever won one Green Jersey. I guess the way the intermediate sprints have been placed during his era can't have helped? Equaling or even breaking Mercx while winning in Paris to secure the Green Jersey would be quite something. Even by his standards. Is it possible? I take there are at least another couple of sprint days after the Alps?

Stages10 (possibly), 12, 13 (possibly), 19, 20  and 21 (Paris). 12 and the last three are pretty flat and great opportunities for him.

Cav will need at least one domestique, ideally another, to help him in the Alps.  There are no huge mountains (like Alpe D'Huez or Ventoux) this year. He looks strong and should, barring crashes, be okay..

Stages10 (possibly), 12, 13 (possibly), 19, 20  and 21 (Paris). 12 and the last three are pretty flat and great opportunities for him.
Cav will need at least one domestique, ideally another, to help him in the Alps.  There are no huge mountains (like Alpe D'Huez or Ventoux) this year. He looks strong and should, barring crashes, be okay..
They're doing Ventoux[emoji2359], aye twice![emoji2957][emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23]

Tbh, I hadn't looked at stage 11 in detail. [emoji16]
My main interest now is the sprint opportunities for Cav on 10, 12 and 13! [emoji41]

Stage 10 looks to have breakaway victory all over it unfortunately for Cav. Also stage 20 you referenced earlier is an ITT so possibly 3 remaining sprint stages. What will decide the green jersey this year is that for the large part, on mountain stages, the sprint is before the climbing starts. Previously Sagan had been the only quick man to be able to get over to the sprints and mop up consistent points hence his 7 green jerseys. The same is true at the giro where they regularly have sprints near the top of climbs.

Having said all that, Sunday is a day where it's all about being inside the time limit for the sprinters, although with the rest day on Monday they can probably afford to expend a little more energy in making the cut

Felt for Carapaz, attack that came to nothing. Pogacar benefitting from Movistar* chasing him down by the line.

Brian Smith commented on this in the Breakaway on Eurosport.